Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Blaze_Wyo on 16 Mar 2021
  • Hi all, I just discovered this forum and have been reading everything I can find on here; but I still need some direct guidance.

I currently have a 6 year old Traeger 22 that is near end of life for me and my family. My initial plan was to replace it with a Traeger Ironwood 885; which my brother-in-law purchased last summer and has been very happy with. However, I have also been looking at others; GMG, Weber SmokeFire, and Pit Boss as those are what I can touch and feel at local stores. But, now that I have discovered this amazing community I have unearthed many new grills I am considering. General info about my use. I live in Northern Colorado and use my grill year around (even in the snow and sub 40 degree weather). We like to grill lots of different types of meats, vegetables, fruits, pizza, and dessert type items. Baking breads on the Traeger has probable been the most unexpected and rewarding.

So here it is; based on size, features, and cost the pellet grills I am considering. Being that I have a Traeger, it is my front runner, but I want to hear from this community. Thanks in advance!!

Traeger Grills Ironwood 885
    Louisiana Grills LG 800 Elite Deluxe
    Rec-Tec RT-700
    Blaz'n Grill Grid Iron (with a few upgrade options)
    Weber Smokefire Ex6 (2nd Gen)
    Pitts & Smitts Maverick 850
  • #2 by glitchy on 16 Mar 2021
  • I’ve had a few Traegers and they are fine grills. However, I’d probably never buy another because of their support and corporate practices. They botched the D2 rollout with a bad firmware issue on the Pro 585 & 8XX. Then they insulted the customers when they called in to report the issue. They later fixed in with firmware updates, but never really acknowledged it. Now they are suing GMG for things GMG created years before them.

The SmokeFires have a lot of potential, but are very moody. Weber is still learning software development and have put out many updates causing wonky behaviors. I really liked mine when it ran well, but got tired of drastic behavior changes every couple months and sometimes broken features for a couple months. Like right now Smoke Boost is Russian roulette on whether it will flame out or not. A few months back they broke app notifications for a couple months.

In your list, I’d look hardest at the Pitts & Spitts. I have no hands on cooking experience with one, but saw one in a store and thought it looked very well made.

You might also look at the MAK 1 Star. It comes with a FlameZone, pellet dump, and roaming RTD now and I think the 1 Stars also get the lifetime warranty. 100% American made, even the allen wrench set they include for assembly. Minimally more expensive than the BlazN or Maverick if you start including options like direct grilling and stainless grates that are already included on the MAK. They gladly welcome calls if you have any questions about their grills.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 16 Mar 2021
  • Out of your list, my first look would be Blazin, I wish I had known of them before I made my first purchase. Next would be Pitts and Spitts. Everything I have read or watched on the Smokefire you either love it or you hate it. I like the potential of it but it would be nice to see more consistent cooks with out issues. Even some of the lovers seem to have theirs just mess up for no reason during a cook. There is a company called Grilla, they make a nice one that if I was looking to save a few bucks I would go with for sure, the lower part of the barrel is double walled has SS internals and the thing that seals it for me is their controller can be run as PID or Non PID. I am not sure if their WIFi controller is ready I think I read they are sill testing it, it was to be ready late last year.

A guy I got into a group buy on pellets with close to me has a MAK 2 star, I looked at it, it looks like it is well built I really liked it after looking a it. I would also toss Cookshack into your list to look at, I have one of their electric units that is 18ish years old, probably gets used as much or more than my pellet cookers and just keeps going. I have replaced the cooking grates because the chrome was wearing off.

Now for the disclaimer I do not and have not owned any of the ones mentioned, I have owned a RECTEC, GMG an Pit Boss. Out of those 3 the GMG is the best hands down. It may not be built like a tank, but it just works well and produces a great product.

Good luck on your search hope you find one that lives up to your needs.
  • #4 by pmillen on 16 Mar 2021
  • I have an opinion (don't we all?).  I think the top three pellet pits are (in alphabetical order)–
    • Cookshack PG500 or 1000
    • MAK
    • Memphis
    I wouldn't argue with anyone who rearranged that order by preference.

You may want to copy the list of questions in this thread, type in your answers and let the long-term pellet pit users here make recommendations.
  • #5 by Brushpopper on 17 Mar 2021
  • Welcome to PF!  I really like my Maverick 850.  It holds temps very well and is frugal on pellet use.  I don't have to worry about cooking in snow (except for four days last month and we didn't have electricity anyway), but when it's cold here I throw the insulating blanket off of my GMG on it.  I liked my GMG when I had it and sometimes wish I didn't sell it.  The only reason I did was because I needed the room in my barn and couldn't justify two grills taking up space since our daughter is about to go off to college.  Good luck in your search.
  • #6 by Bentley on 17 Mar 2021
  • If space is an issue and you also use a gas grill, look at the Camp Chef Woodwind with the Sidekick.
  • #7 by rdsbucks on 17 Mar 2021
  • I have an opinion (don't we all?).  I think the top three pellet pits are (in alphabetical order)–
    • Cookshack PG500 or 1000
    • MAK
    • Memphis
    I wouldn't argue with anyone who rearranged that order by preference.

You may want to copy the list of questions in this thread, type in your answers and let the long-term pellet pit users here make recommendations.

As pmillen says you cannot go wrong with these grills if you are willing to go to that price point. If grilling is important then the PG500 works very well. There are no baffles to move, grates to lift, or doors to open. It has a dedicated grill space that is always available and works like a charm. The smoking area is not huge but it is as big as I need. I have done multiple racks of ribs, turkeys, and big shoulders with no problem.
  • #8 by Blaze_Wyo on 19 Mar 2021
  • I took your recommendation and filled out the list, wish I would have seen that to start all this and I would have included it in my original post. I even read that post, but must have stopped at the first few replays. Thanks everyone who has commented so far, you are all really no help, hahaha  :rotf:

Have you ever eaten any meats/other foods cooked on a pellet pit?  Do you like the amount of "smoke" flavor you got from it? - With what i cook now on my Traeger I wish there was more smoke flavor. 

What is your preferred upper cost limit? - $1800

What is the absolute upper cost limit? - $2500

Are you looking for the ability to direct grill, or just low and slow? - both. mainly cook burgers and dogs, chicken, port chops, steaks; but occasionally get a ham, brisket, or turkey on there low and slow.

What region of the country are you in (helps determine the weather you might cook in)?  - Do you need an insulated pit? - probably or at least thicker gauge build; Northern Colorado, 20s/30s in the winter, 90s/100s in the summer

How many people will you normally cook for? - 4-5

What is the largest number of people you would need to cook for? - 12

Do you need to be able to move the pit once you have it (take to comps, etc.)? - no

What features do you need in a controller? - Meat Probes? Remote Control? - Meat probes would be nice, but have different probes and instant reads I use.

From any previous research (Have you read any of the performance evaluations on this site?), what manufacturer/pit is possibly fitting the bill? - see first post

Do you have another grill that you will be keeping? - no

If you have had a pit before, what was it and what did you like/dislike? - like: using it like an oven dislike: lack of true high temp (current grill tops out around 430), temp control, pellet usage in cold.

Does the size of the hopper matter? - no

Do you care about stainless steel? -No, would be covered when not in use (but would be nice for longevity)

Do you want to buy from a dealer or direct from manufacturer? - either

Have you been able to physically see any of the pits you are considering? - Traeger Ironwood 885, Weber Smokefire

How important is it to you for it to be made in U.S.A? - Would be nice, not required.

Thanks everyone.
  • #9 by Blaze_Wyo on 19 Mar 2021
  • So I think I have narrowed it down. Thoughts?

Yoder YS640s
    Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron
    Pitts & Smitts Maverick 850
  • #10 by Conumdrum on 19 Mar 2021
  • I have a 640, had it for over 6 years.  Solid, always works, love the sear, none better in my book.  Plenty big too. 

And, never, ever a flareup.  Ever. 
  • #11 by pmillen on 19 Mar 2021
  • I think you've listed three good choices, based on your answers.  The only part that might be a concern is your wish for more smoke flavor.  Pellet pits generally make a mild flavor.  The Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500 or 1000 can make copious smoke at any temperature setting but sacrifice really tight temperature control when doing so.  I've discovered that temperature swings above and below the set point aren't very important as long as the average temperature is at your set point.  That opinion isn't universally shared.
  • #12 by Bentley on 19 Mar 2021
  • I think it is by long term pellet users!

I've discovered that temperature swings above and below the set point aren't very important as long as the average temperature is at your set point.  That opinion isn't universally shared.
  • #13 by okie smokie on 19 Mar 2021
  • I think it is by long term pellet users!

I've discovered that temperature swings above and below the set point aren't very important as long as the average temperature is at your set point.  That opinion isn't universally shared.
    I'm in agreement.  :cool:
  • #14 by Conumdrum on 19 Mar 2021
  • I think you've listed three good choices, based on your answers.  The only part that might be a concern is your wish for more smoke flavor.  Pellet pits generally make a mild flavor.  The Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500 or 1000 can make copious smoke at any temperature setting but sacrifice really tight temperature control when doing so.  I've discovered that temperature swings above and below the set point aren't very important as long as the average temperature is at your set point.  That opinion isn't universally shared.

I 100% agree.  On both points.

For solid temp control you rely on 3 things.  Mechanical engineers, Software engineers, and the Production engineer.

The single thing is smoldering vs live fire vs bark and how your 3 tons of real cherry vs pellets that use bark.  Lets not forget.

Clean burning pellets (wood) leave little residue and don't smoke a lot. Look up the science of how wood releases molecules that are smoke flavored.  This guy Named Blonder can lay the science down. 

Some smokers have the software guy give pauses for fans and pellet drop.  Then make sure the design can hadle that.

I have a Yoder 6 years +.  The fans go, it drops pellets for temps.  It don't flare, the Sear with the diffusion plate with door workse EVER single time.

I use a cover, I live in Vegas, it's under a patio, it don't rust.  I do a super clean 2 a year.  Otherwise I open the door, mebbe yaccum the area, usually I empty the burn pot, and go......

Still, every real man needs a Weber grill for charcoal and a Vortex for really great steaks.. 

• #15 by Brushpopper on 20 Mar 2021
  • My Pitts and Spitts is an older one and it came with the one piece drip tray when I got it off Craigslist for a song.  I got the newer two piece one with the removable part and haven't tried to sear steaks yet.  I need to so I can tell you how it works or at least try it and take some pics of it in action.  My wife always wants them done on charcoal.  Sounds like a good reason to go to the meat market and get some T-bones to me.  For scientific purposes of course.
Pages:
Actions