Pages:
Actions
  • #136 by pmillen on 21 Apr 2021
  • Culvers:  I eat there about every 90 days.  Their burgers are fine.  Their custard is second to Freddy's.  Their fish and chips has good cod but less than average potatoes.  They're just frozen French fries.

5-Guys:  The 2nd best restaurant burgers in Omaha.  The fries are huge orders and are cooked in good grease.

The best Omaha hamburgers are from a small "Joint" in a dicy neighborhood.
  • #137 by Free Mr. Tony on 21 Apr 2021
  • I see there is one 2 miles from hotel in Jenison, yee haw!.  Will try and see if I can sneak a late night one in!

Edit:  A little off topic, but Kristin just said they have Fish n Chips, another thing I can't get in Mayberry.  Can anyone weigh in on them?

There is also one about 2 minutes from my house right off the highway. I would imagine you would go right by as you head north.
  • #138 by Free Mr. Tony on 21 Apr 2021
  • This story must have popped up on my feed because I typed about it. I haven't read it but here it is.

https://thetakeout.com/culvers-is-better-than-in-n-out-burger-midwest-vs-cal-1846692495
  • #139 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Apr 2021
  • This story must have popped up on my feed because I typed about it. I haven't read it but here it is.

https://thetakeout.com/culvers-is-better-than-in-n-out-burger-midwest-vs-cal-1846692495

I saw that earlier today too.

BTW, I had another one of those burgers tonight at Ground Zero Blues Club...yum!
  • #140 by ScottE on 22 Apr 2021
  • Culver's is excellent! Like In-n-out they have high quality ingredients, but they are very different and so I find them hard to compare directly - I like them both, but in different ways.
  • #141 by pmillen on 22 Apr 2021

• I have the 10mm version of this Craycourt burger smasher.  It makes a rather thick 5oz. smash burger.

The 5mm smasher for making the traditional thin 3oz. smash burger has been out of stock for some time.

Can you recommend a similar one for the thin burgers?
  • #142 by Bentley on 22 Apr 2021
  • I got tired of trying to flip large thin burger with a rectangular spatula and bought this on Amazon.  Wish I had bought it before I bought the burger press.  It works better on 3 & 4oz balls then the press.

• #143 by BigDave83 on 22 Apr 2021
  • I got tired of trying to flip large thin burger with a rectangular spatula and bought this on Amazon.  Wish I had bought it before I bought the burger press.  It works better on 3 & 4oz balls then the press.

I have something like that that we use for pancakes and it works well for taking pizza out. Probably has 8" surface. Never thought of it for burgers, before I bought the bacon press I would use the widest turner I had and then use the handle of the other one to push it down.

• #144 by 02ebz06 on 03 May 2021
  • In honor of National Hamburger month.
  • #145 by Bentley on 13 May 2021
  • It all happens at about the 13 minute mark.

UFO Burger/Korean street food
  • #146 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 May 2021
  • That looked really good
  • #147 by pmillen on 14 May 2021
  • There's so much to discuss in that video.  But, first, does anyone know what that knife is called?  And where to buy one?
  • #148 by BigDave83 on 14 May 2021
  • There's so much to discuss in that video.  But, first, does anyone know what that knife is called?  And where to buy one?

I think it is a Japanese Cleaver. https://www.amazon.com/KYOKU-Cleaver-Knife-Sheath-Case/dp/B07BK2RSMR/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1HUXKX07WSPBA&dchild=1&keywords=japanese+cleaver+knife&qid=1621006358&sprefix=japanese+cleaver%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-9

I tried to attach the link to Japanese Cleaver but it didn't work. Can anyone tell me the secret of how you do that? Thanks

What was the paste looking meat that the mushrooms were mixed with?

The ground meat in the bowl, was it freeze dried, it made noise/rattled when they were mixing it?

I liked the high sides on the griddle and it seemed to cook pretty hot and even, not like the retail blackstone type units. I always thought I wanted a nice SS commercial griddle, but figured that for what is normally cooked it would take more time and fuel to get it to cooking temp than it would to do the actual cook.

For the most part this is just a fancier Mountain Pie as they are called around here.
  • #149 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 May 2021
  • I use one of those cleavers that you posted the Amazon link for pretty regularly.  I used to use it for chopping pork or beef years ago too.  Now, I use it a lot to slice veggies.
  • #150 by pmillen on 14 May 2021
  • The Japanese cleavers I'm familiar with are slightly rockered.  That one appeared to me to be flatter on the sharp edge.

I called my favorite NYC knife store.  From my description, he thinks it's more Chinese-like.  He directed me to https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CCK-Chinese-Cleaver-Stainless-Steel-Slicer-240mm-KF1112/172981827192.
Pages:
Actions