Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by yorkdude on 18 Mar 2021
  • So for those of you that make Smash burgers.  What is your technique?  Amount of meat?  You start with a ball?  How long is it on the heat source before smashing?  How thin should it be after smashing?  Is the flip simply based on feel or is it a time thing?

I will start with saying I never made one.  I did however watch a few videos on them the other night.

They used between 3oz and 5oz ball of hamburger.  Smashed as soon as it was on heat source or let sit a few seconds while they were talking.  Not sure it matters.  As thin as you want to make it.  One even had the burger breakup a little bit as I could see small holes in the meat patty.  They flipped as soon as you could see the top portion outer edges turn brown.  They gently scraped under the patty all around it to ensure that it didn't stick or break before they flipped.  I think the timing was probably 3-5 minutes.
    Exactly how we do it, they do tend to (fall apart, crumble etc.) salt/pepper on the 1st. Smash, no timing really but relatively quickly, gather them up and flip. Salt and pepper and cheese. Shazam, heaven on the bun. We spared no expense to smash them, soft butter on the bottom of the plate with pastry brush, drop the ball of meat, smash etc.
    if you ask me they don’t need weight, takes out the good stuff, just the “smash”.
  • #32 by bregent on 18 Mar 2021
  • I have one of these. 3 pounds and close to 9". I put a piece of parchment on the burger so help keep it from sticking.

Gets used on the griddle a lot for burgers and smashed pork burgers. Sometimes steaks or chops also, and is nice of you cook kielbasi cut in half to keep it from curling.  Oddly enough, never used it on bacon.

https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-8-75-Inch-Bacon-Press-Handle/dp/B0000DDVV9/ref=pb_allspark_session_sims_desktop_6?pd_rd_w=B2u3P&pf_rd_p=bfefd6e2-acb1-463d-94d0-38a6e00f41d3&pf_rd_r=NC7VQB5A8NRMTN9RE5R8&pd_rd_r=d60b3242-785d-48d1-8849-684e3da2bdf1&pd_rd_wg=m46uP&pd_rd_i=B0000DDVV9&th=1

I've got the same one, my kids got me for my birthday. I use it for bacon, but haven't tried for burgers. The grooves don't cause any problem Dave?
  • #33 by BigDave83 on 18 Mar 2021
  • I have one of these. 3 pounds and close to 9". I put a piece of parchment on the burger so help keep it from sticking.

Gets used on the griddle a lot for burgers and smashed pork burgers. Sometimes steaks or chops also, and is nice of you cook kielbasi cut in half to keep it from curling.  Oddly enough, never used it on bacon.

https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-8-75-Inch-Bacon-Press-Handle/dp/B0000DDVV9/ref=pb_allspark_session_sims_desktop_6?pd_rd_w=B2u3P&pf_rd_p=bfefd6e2-acb1-463d-94d0-38a6e00f41d3&pf_rd_r=NC7VQB5A8NRMTN9RE5R8&pd_rd_r=d60b3242-785d-48d1-8849-684e3da2bdf1&pd_rd_wg=m46uP&pd_rd_i=B0000DDVV9&th=1

I've got the same one, my kids got me for my birthday. I use it for bacon, but haven't tried for burgers. The grooves don't cause any problem Dave?

Not unless you are a slider. I just press straight down, some press then kind of spread or slide the press.
  • #34 by yorkdude on 18 Mar 2021
  • Well, this is not a smash burger, it’s 2 frozen patties (store bought) on the little gasser. I am trying to cut down the bread. Ain’t too bad. Tastes just like you are at the fair. A good burger at the fair.
  • #35 by okie smokie on 18 Mar 2021
  • Well, this is not a smash burger, it’s 2 frozen patties (store bought) on the little gasser. I am trying to cut down the bread. Ain’t too bad. Tastes just like you are at the fair. A good burger at the fair.
    Looks great for the low carbers. My wife likes to do that with half a bun on the bottom, and uses knife and fork to eat.  I like hamburger steaks with brown gravy as well.
  • #36 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Mar 2021
  • Well I just bought the Baby LEM Mighty Bite #8  & The Smasher.  So will wait till next week to show my Squeeze Burgers.

Just got an email from LEM for 20% off is you spend over $100 use GREEN21 promo code.
  • #37 by Bentley on 19 Mar 2021
  • Already bought it.  Dang!
  • #38 by Bentley on 20 Mar 2021
  • Got the Round Grill Press.  Was bummed to see that it has ridges on the bottom.  They do not show a picture of the bottom on Amazon, never even though to ask.  Gonna go try it right now.  Worst case scenario, I grind it down!  I would would just hate to lose ANY weight!
  • #39 by Bentley on 20 Mar 2021
  • 1st things 1st.  I wish the press was 6 inch instead of 8. I do not like the ridges.  It is not a device that is useful in a skillet cooking environment (way to much restriction of movement), a griddle is where a device like this will shine (and I would still like it at 6 inch for that cooking device).  I also do not feel that I am able to use the device anywhere near as effectively in a skillet as you would be able to on a lager flattop!  I also think that a higher fat patty does not get the crust that most would be looking for in a smash burger.  To cut to the chase, a lot of unnecessary work for virtually the same results I get when I just make the patty the proper size before my normal cooking!

• #40 by Bentley on 20 Mar 2021
  • Some more date.  Those were 5oz patties, and it does spread them out to bun size, something I like.  I think it would make them even thinner if they did not have the ridges, something I may have to deal with. It is also useful as a weight to keep the patty from excessive protein contraction.
  • #41 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Mar 2021
  • I thought you were making that burger that had a ton of shredded cheese melted over top of it
  • #42 by BigDave83 on 20 Mar 2021
  • What burger blend did you use? I usually get ground chuck from the local market. Not sure what percentage that is as some chuck is leaner than others. I have noticed that in the meat I get from them, more grease sometimes than others.

Yes the larger diameter is not great in a skillet unless you have a 12" even in a 10 it is tight. I never minded the ridges on my press as I don't slide it off just press down and then lift off.

I wonder if using the higher fat patty would not be better inn a very hot dry pan?

No matter what, those look like good eats. A little pickle, onion and yellow mustard and I would be set.
  • #43 by 02ebz06 on 20 Mar 2021
  • What's the problem with the ridges?
    I don't see any signs of them in the burger.
  • #44 by Bentley on 20 Mar 2021
  • Don't have any Cheddar.

I thought you were making that burger that had a ton of shredded cheese melted over top of it

This is my own 65/35 blend.  That is a 12 inch SS skillet!  Still to much ridge interference for me.  That pan was 475° when I started.

What burger blend did you use?

Yes the larger diameter is not great in a skillet unless you have a 12" even in a 10 it is tight.

I wonder if using the higher fat patty would not be better inn a very hot dry pan?

I used wax paper with this round.  It will not smoothly smash and slide.  If all you want to do is press down it is fine, but to me that is not a smash burger!

What's the problem with the ridges?
    I don't see any signs of them in the burger.
  • #45 by yorkdude on 21 Mar 2021
  • They look awfully good to me.
    We have a ridge press and I only used it a few times. We will either use the plate or with the griddle spatula, they both work for the slide.
Pages:
Actions