Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by Bentley on 26 Mar 2021
  • Bad camera work.  It was about 3/4" though.  I do not see many "thick" burgers, never order a Burger in a restaurant, so was curious what the standard was.  I don't think most restaurant burgers are more then 8oz?
  • #62 by yorkdude on 26 Mar 2021

• That right there! Heck yeah.
  • #63 by BigDave83 on 27 Mar 2021
  • That looks fairly thick, I do like a nicely cooked 8 oz plus burger. I used to do pounders for cook outs on fresh Kaiser rolls.People loved them and some had lunch for the next day.
  • #64 by cookingjnj on 27 Mar 2021
  • That 8 inch patty looked pretty spot on for me.  Thickness looked fine.  Two patties of 8 oz is a little too much for my blood, although the put together burger looked great.  I like the idea of the russian and mayo combo as well.  Will need to try that on my next burger cook.
  • #65 by Bentley on 27 Mar 2021
  • The above McBent was two 4oz burgers.  And they were to large to eat effectively (they just slid around the bun.  I think the perfect double-double would probably be two 3oz. patties, that will be todays research!

I am going for that Lesterburger look, taste and feel.  Now this was a burger joint in Fresno in the 60's so no way you all have anything to compare it buy.  Think of your local joint that serves a double burger that has very large, thin burgers, with chiffonade lettuce and a great orange looking sauce!

Two patties of 8 oz is a little too much for my blood, although the put together burger looked great.

• #66 by Bentley on 27 Mar 2021
  • Probably the best one so far.  You need a stronger bun for a double, and maybe down to 2.5oz on the patty.  I am thinking something like a brioche...

• #67 by yorkdude on 27 Mar 2021
  • Very close to where I work is a bar that has been there probably 50+ years at least. If I had to guess it’s probably 20’ wide maximum and 120’ front to back. The flat top is right there by the old Wrigleys gum and old Lifesavers. Here is the catch though. It is 3 sisters who own it and they operate it like a 21 jewel Swiss watch. They truly have the BEST tavern burger I have ever eaten......anywhere. They are flat top cooked “spanked” burgers. By spanked I am trying to portray the process, they throw a 5-6 oz meatball on and one of them gives it a few seconds and spanks it with a spatula. A minute or so later comes the flipand cheese if you want it.. fresh lettuce and tomato if you want it. The place is called the B&B cafe in St. Marys, Ks. The vast majority of the town is related to the St.Marys Academy and College. Worth a google if you are asking me.
    The rumor is that the flat top came off a train cooking car and I absolutely believe it, it is OLD and primitive but rocks on burgers. It does not look safe in any regard if you know what I mean.
  • #68 by yorkdude on 27 Mar 2021
  • Probably the best one so far.  You need a stronger bun for a double, and maybe down to 2.5oz on the patty.  I am thinking something like a brioche...

That is enough for me to pull the emergency stop on a subway, truly is. NO brioche etc. for me. I want to have to wipe off my elbows. Shazam.
  • #69 by 02ebz06 on 27 Mar 2021
  • Future burgers...
  • #70 by Bentley on 27 Mar 2021
  • That is a pretty course grind, are you gonna leave it that way?
  • #71 by 02ebz06 on 27 Mar 2021
  • Yes, I like the coarse grind.
  • #72 by Free Mr. Tony on 27 Mar 2021
  • This is one of my favorite local burgers. It's one of the few remaining drive-in style restaurants around. It's called a big buster. Two super thin patties, middle bun, shredded lettuce, and tarter sauce. You can add cheese, bacon, etc but it's kind of perfect as is.

• #73 by Bentley on 27 Mar 2021
  • Yeah, that and yorkdude's description is pretty much what I meant by burger joint!
  • #74 by Bentley on 27 Mar 2021
  • Will have to try a course grind for a burger and see what I think!  I want to try it for cheese steak too!
  • #75 by WiPelletHead on 27 Mar 2021
  • This is one of my favorite local burgers. It's one of the few remaining drive-in style restaurants around. It's called a big buster. Two super thin patties, middle bun, shredded lettuce, and tarter sauce. You can add cheese, bacon, etc but it's kind of perfect as is.

Man, if those onion rings are as good as they look I would be there all the time. Looks great.
Pages:
Actions