Pages:
Actions
  • #76 by WiPelletHead on 27 Mar 2021
  • Will have to try a course grind for a burger and see what I think!  I want to try it for cheese steak too!

What I would worry about Bentley is that brisket ground that course might be tough. I know you like using it in your burger mix.
  • #77 by Free Mr. Tony on 28 Mar 2021
  • This is one of my favorite local burgers. It's one of the few remaining drive-in style restaurants around. It's called a big buster. Two super thin patties, middle bun, shredded lettuce, and tarter sauce. You can add cheese, bacon, etc but it's kind of perfect as is.

Man, if those onion rings are as good as they look I would be there all the time. Looks great.

Those pics were just pulled from Yelp.  I haven't had the onion rings in years, but I remember them being fantastic.  They have a whole family of restaurants.  Some of them are higher end, and others more diner style.  They all have different menus based on how nice the place is, but all have some similarities in options. 
  • #78 by BigDave83 on 28 Mar 2021
  • I would be interested in that coleslaw. I love a good coleslaw, but it is hard to find when out. We hit up a few bbq places that are open through the summer, and most all of them just buy it already made and, not sure what is in the stuff you buy packaged and sold like that but it usually has an awful taste to me, same with the macaroni salad (Amish Style around here). The time and effort put in to making a good meat menu, one would think places would make their own coleslaw buy the bagged cabbage and make a good dressing. I have had some vinegar based slaw that has been great also, but most of them I didn't care for.
  • #79 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Mar 2021
  • This is one of my favorite local burgers. It's one of the few remaining drive-in style restaurants around. It's called a big buster. Two super thin patties, middle bun, shredded lettuce, and tarter sauce. You can add cheese, bacon, etc but it's kind of perfect as is.

You and Bent can have the coneys.  I will pick this up on the way out of town!  Man, do I love a good onion ring.
  • #80 by Bentley on 28 Mar 2021
  • FMT we have decided this might be a better option in May!  I just called them to ask about their Onion Rings, the lady wanted me to know they were homemade!  She was very enthusiastic about telling me the process, all I need to hear.  I will get a Coney on the way out of town!
  • #81 by Free Mr. Tony on 28 Mar 2021
  • FMT we have decided this might be a better option in May!  I just called them to ask about their Onion Rings, the lady wanted me to know they were homemade!  She was very enthusiastic about telling me the process, all I need to hear.  I will get a Coney on the way out of town!

That's awesome that you called them!  Sounds good. I checked out the menu for the gas house/deck.  That restaurant in their family is the most popular, and only a few blocks from coney island. Unfortunately, it appears that the onion rings are not available at that location.  Not a big deal as the location with the rings is still only a few minutes from downtown. 

The deck is really cool though so I wish they would have the onion rings. It's one of Fort waynes few waterfront dining places. They do river tours that leave from the restaurant.
  • #82 by Free Mr. Tony on 29 Mar 2021
  • This is pretty much how I make my smash burgers, and this one in particular looks about as good as it gets.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMrz1GjltoA/?igshid=s113rwejjuhu

You may have to swipe so that the video plays.
  • #83 by bregent on 30 Mar 2021
  • >>I want to try it for cheese steak too!

Do you mean course ground brisket for cheesesteak? Let us know how it turns out when you try it.  If the texture is similar to chopped ribeye, I'd want to give it a go. I bet the flavor would be as good or better.
  • #84 by yorkdude on 30 Mar 2021
  • This is pretty much how I make my smash burgers, and this one in particular looks about as good as it gets.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMrz1GjltoA/?igshid=s113rwejjuhu

You may have to swipe so that the video plays.
    Uh yes indeed. Oh my!
  • #85 by Bentley on 30 Mar 2021
  • I was thinking ground Rib Roast.  I was just intrigued by the FMT video when the guy was making cheese steak.  Not sure if that was ground meat at all, but it got me to thinking.  But ground point would have a lot of fat, so your assessment on flavor maybe spot on.

>>I want to try it for cheese steak too!

Do you mean course ground brisket for cheesesteak? Let us know how it turns out when you try it.  If the texture is similar to chopped ribeye, I'd want to give it a go. I bet the flavor would be as good or better.
  • #86 by bregent on 30 Mar 2021
  • Which video are you referring to? Was it in this thread or another?
  • #87 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Mar 2021
  • Which video are you referring to? Was it in this thread or another?

Either the bread or cheesesteak thread about a bakery in Philadelphia that makes custom rolls for a cheesesteak place.
  • #88 by Bentley on 30 Mar 2021
  • I do not believe that burger can be obtained without a flat top.  I have tried it in a 12 inch metal skillet, and I just can not get the patty flat enough.  Smash burger, crust, that does not matter to me, but the thickness of those patties is what I want and eludes me!
  • #89 by Bentley on 30 Mar 2021
  • Sorry about the misdirection, I though the video link was in here!

Which video are you referring to? Was it in this thread or another?

Nice video on some cheesesteak bun baking in Philadelphia.

https://youtu.be/AYvuovuMpkI
  • #90 by Bentley on 30 Mar 2021
  • Big space = correct burger patty size.  Horrible attempt at Brioche bun. 

Pages:
Actions