Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BBQ Season started  (Read 658 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
BBQ Season started
« on: March 20, 2021, 04:26:09 PM »

Having BBQ withdrawal pains! Time to get the season started. 71 degrees here today.
Took a briskest out of the freezer to thaw for next week cook.
Scored two of these for $1.99/lb

Will post pics when I get it cookin'...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 04:29:01 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: I can't take it any more!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 05:13:59 PM »

I'm getting the itch too.  I need to get my grills cleaned and repaired.  I want to test out that BBQ hack griddle I bought that has been in the box for over a year.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 05:45:02 PM »

I'm getting the itch too.  I need to get my grills cleaned and repaired.  I want to test out that BBQ hack griddle I bought that has been in the box for over a year.

Hahahahahahaha,  I could probably buy a new grill with all tools I have bought and never used.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 06:54:37 PM »

Great price on your beef.  I cant buy GB here for that price.  Kristin was talking about eating a Brisket sandwich the other day.  Her taste for BBQ must be coming back...not for me!

I guarantee you that is a device you can make a good smash burger on!

I want to test out that BBQ hack griddle I bought that has been in the box for over a year.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 06:56:14 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »

I have an 8# butt ready for a date with the pit very early tomorrow morning.

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 11:46:03 PM »

Was it a cold winter in Rio Rancho? We BBQ year around here in Southern California.

Rio Rancho is a nice town. I shot in the National Indoor Archery Championships there in 2010. I have family in Albuquerque.

Good luck with the brisket. That is one piece of meat that I am still working on. I have been thinking of getting one at Cosco in the near future.

They usually carry USDA Prime for a good price.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 11:15:58 AM »

Was it a cold winter in Rio Rancho? We BBQ year around here in Southern California.

Rio Rancho is a nice town. I shot in the National Indoor Archery Championships there in 2010. I have family in Albuquerque.

Good luck with the brisket. That is one piece of meat that I am still working on. I have been thinking of getting one at Cosco in the near future.

They usually carry USDA Prime for a good price.

I guess when you get used to the heat in the summer, 40's is cold in the winter.
Didn't stop me from making pizza every Saturday.  ;D
I did BBQ a couple times though.

It is strange that Costco has prime brisket cheaper than choice. Maybe not always, but I have seen it more than once.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 11:23:15 AM »

It is strange that Costco has prime brisket cheaper than choice. Maybe not always, but I have seen it more than once.

From what I have read, it is due to the decline in demand for prime meat in the restaurants due to covid restrictions.  The supply was already available or somewhere in the supply chain system from growth to slaughter to distribution.  Thus, they are dropping price on Prime to unload it before they get more of a supply backup and have to dispose of it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 05:07:18 PM »

I think it also has to do with the cut.  You will not find a Choice Packer around here only Prime.  You will find trimmed Choice flats and you will not find trimmed Prime, at least here.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 06:11:50 PM »

From what I have read, it is due to the decline in demand for prime meat in the restaurants due to covid restrictions.  The supply was already available or somewhere in the supply chain system from growth to slaughter to distribution.  Thus, they are dropping price on Prime to unload it before they get more of a supply backup and have to dispose of it.

We have always had prime at our local Cosco. I have not done a brisket since the pandemic. I'm not sure why but we get prime for a really good price.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 04:28:07 PM »

Got BBQ season underway...

Put brisket on at 9:00 last night at 225.
Wrapped it in butcher paper at 9:00 this morning, and bumped temp to 275.
Finished at 12:45.
Cut the point up into cubes, a little Stubb's BBQ sauce, and back on the grill for 15 minutes at 400.
Burnt ends sandwich for lunch. Pic in sandwich thread shortly.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: BBQ Season started
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 04:38:45 PM »

Looks good.  Did you go light on the sauce or is Stubb's very thin?  Doesn't look like a lot of bbq sauce on those burnt ends

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 04:44:49 PM »

Yeah it was a little light.
Looked like plenty before I put it in the grill.
Can always add more...

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 11:05:24 PM »

Cooked a 5# brisket flat today for friends of ours.  Rub consisted of a light dusting of Oakridge Santa Maria Rub, and then a good amount of Montreal Steak Seasoning.  On the pit at 225 until IT was 157.  Foiled with a little more Santa Maria and about a 1/3 cup of beef broth.  Pulled from the pit when IT was 201.  Rested for 1.5 hours, then sliced and packaged for them to pick up in the morning.  Attached some pictures.  I could have sworn I took pics after the slice, but I guess not, ugh.  My son is home from school for a few days and said it smelled awesome.  Of course a small piece happened to fall out when transferring slices to the container so he just had to try it too.  Said it was one of the best I have made.  Pressure is on, because I have another 5# flat I will be cooking on Saturday for our family!!!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages: [1]   Go Up