Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by silverbullet on 25 Mar 2021
  • Please do not use this thread to bash products.

Since 2008 I've had multiple pits, Started with a Traeger 070. Went to a GMG Jim Bowie, a GMG Davy Crockett, a Louisiana Elite 800. Still have the GMG Davy Crockett & the Louisiana.

All have needed attention at one point of time(Except for one). In all fairness the issues with the Louisiana were operator error as learning curve. All of the manufactures have been outstanding with their customer service.

The winner for me is the Davy Crockett, Has a born on date of 9/2013 I purchased new in 2014. Since I mostly cook for 2 it has been mostly my go to pit. This grill has been flawless. Has never let me down. Still on its original heat rod, original controller. Has been through 2 fires, and still keeps going. Soon its going into semi retirement as its going to live full time out at my camper.

Next up for me is the Camp Chef Woodwind PG24. Should be here any day now! Love the features that this pit has to offer. Excited to start another journey!
  • #2 by cookingjnj on 25 Mar 2021
  • I have only had 1 pellet cooker, and that is my  RT680.  I have had it about 5 years now, and it has always been reliable and started up right away when the "on" button is pushed.  Definitely performs as advertised.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 26 Mar 2021
  • I have had 3 started with RECTEC 680 then GMG DC then Pit Boss CH7 vertical. The best and  most used for me is the GMG also next to my Cookshack electric. The vertical is great for doing a lot of food, jerky, sausage. Sold off the RT as it was in my way. Usually only cook for 2 people here also. Had issues with t he GMG right out of the box, bought it from a local dealer, he didn't know much about them or have parts, called GMG people up over a Memorial day weekend and he said he would send a controller and igniter out. I put in the controller as the igniter seemed to be working and not had any issues since, probably close 5 years now.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 26 Mar 2021

•    As most, I started with a Traeger. At the time it was just about the only pit available.  It was a great learning experience, going thru the growing pains of pellet pit development..

I had a hard time to convince myself to buy a Memphis Pro. What helped with the decision was my Traeger experience and this form.. There is barely any comparison between the two other than both pits

burn pellets, have augers, combustion fans and controllers and so on... The Pro heats quickly, gets extremely hot, has a direct flame cook ability, doesn't rust, is double walled, has an extremely efficient cool

down cycle,and super HD stainless cooking grates.  There is so much more.... What I like best is how easy it is to clean. Nothing comes out except the flame deflector. The 4 piece cooking grates simply move

to the side exposing the burn pot.... I used to have find a place to place for the greasy grate, drip tray and flame deflector on the Traeger. I don't want to bore people with my ramblings so I'll stop here.

• #5 by okie smokie on 26 Mar 2021
  • Started with Traeger, and had lots of great cooks. Next was Blaz'n Grand Slam, a great pit with PID control. No complaints about the GS except it was heavy, and all steel and thus prone to rust in the barrel area.
    Still happy with the GS, I saw the ad for the new recteq 590 and was interested in it's majority SS construction. Did a lot of reading of reports by owners (not on their website) and finally ordered a 590. Happy camper ever since. It is the most reliable, and stable smoker I have used. Easy to move about, and to keep clean. No real problems and the best customer service. I also have a B380 which is my steak and chop grill. Less stable, and definitely not "set it and forget it", but very good for what it is used for.
    Hx of the early pits:  The Traeger went for $250 to a friend (it was 3 years old Lil Tex).  The Blaz'n went for $500. (about 3.5 years old).
    Liked the 590 so much that I bought 2 more for my kids. All are happy campers. All are used at least twice weekly.  :clap:
  • #6 by ICIdaho on 26 Mar 2021
  • My first pellet and only pellet grill is my 2014 GMG Daniel Boone.  It is still on the original hot rod, and it is not because of a lack of use.  My propane grill is a 2004 Vermont Castings.  It is still in great shape and well built, with stainless steel and a very heavy duty ductile iron lid.
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 26 Mar 2021
  • My pre-China made Memphis Pro and Memphis Elite.
    Never a problem with either.
    Can't say that about the China made one I have now.
  • #8 by pmillen on 26 Mar 2021
  • I took delivery of my new Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500 in January 2013.

I smoke in rain and snow.

It doesn't need a cover.

It appears that the Fast Eddy line, PG500/1000, are exceedingly reliable, even when treated badly.

EDIT:  I suppose that Cookshack has a Customer Service Department for repair issues.  I don't know for certain, though.  Nothing ever needed fixing.
  • #9 by urnmor on 26 Mar 2021
  • I have had the MAK 2 star for years.  It is made in America, great customer service and has worked very well in all kinds of weather.  I would definitely recommend it.
  • #10 by Bentley on 26 Mar 2021
  • I have owned 2 Traegers, 1 Country Smoker, 2 GMG's and a Memphis.  They were all very reliable.  Now they would all have parts break, but I did not take that as an issue, just routine maintenance.  The GMG's have been in the Shed since 2015, that is the last time we competed.  The Memphis Pro has been the work horse since 2010.  Full time since 2015.
  • #11 by dk117 on 26 Mar 2021
  • My first pellet and only pellet grill is my 2014 GMG Daniel Boone.  It is still on the original hot rod, and it is not because of a lack of use.  My propane grill is a 2004 Vermont Castings.  It is still in great shape and well built, with stainless steel and a very heavy duty ductile iron lid.
    I'll jump in.  We really need to consider these are outdoor cooking appliances.   Most of my damage is self inflicted.

2004 Vermont Castings natural gas grill is the most reliable I ever bought.  Though I've replaced the burners three times due to rust in the PNW.   Looking at Napoleon 500 Prestige Pro right now.
    2009 Traeger Texas, opened up a whole new world.  Replaced the hot rod three times, controller twice, heat shield, auger motor, burn pot and drip tray.  The actual original parts are about rusted through.
    2018 Gator Pit.  I chipped the paint in one spot about a penny round, had a hot rod go out, had to replace the controller (uncovered rain, my fault.)  In terms of build quality, 1/4 inch virgin steel IMO gives you the most reliable pit.

So then we go back to the original question, most reliable pit?  All outdoor appliances are going to need maintenance.  Pellet grills are pretty simple machines with easily swappable components.   I went with Gator because the Pit itself will last forever, and I can swap everything else out whenever maintenance (or technology upgrades) requires.

DK
  • #12 by MP09 on 26 Mar 2021
  • blazin gridiron no problems 2 prior traeger grills assorted minor problems
  • #13 by rdsbucks on 27 Mar 2021
  • My PG500 is rock solid and never fails. I fail sometimes, but not the pit!
  • #14 by cookingjnj on 27 Mar 2021
  • I have a similar pic to pmillen from this years big snow in NJ.  Two days later the reliable 680 was pumping out a couple of St. Louis Ribs!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Pages:
Actions