Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 02 Apr 2021

• I'm thinking of growing herbs in something like these.

They'll be too tall for rabbits, but won't mice and voles climb the legs and eat?

What's the cure?
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 02 Apr 2021
  • Thin metal nailed/screwed around the legs ?

I like the idea of them being in the air.  Easier on the back working in them.

Questions about how you built those...
    Is the bottom wooden slats with weed block or something for liner?

• #3 by Bentley on 02 Apr 2021
  • We have been fortunate with no real mammal pests in the garden.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 02 Apr 2021
  • Another though, maybe 4" PVC pipe around the legs.
  • #5 by dk117 on 02 Apr 2021
  • Cats?  My garden backs up to a 7 acre wetland and a 3 acre park that connects to a natural watershed that continues for miles.  We've got everything:  field mice, moles, voles, coyotes, rabbits, racoons, and opossum.   The only thing that has worked (including paying for extermination services) was opening up my side yard gate and allowing the neighborhood cats to use my backyard as a freeway to their hunting grounds.   Few problems since.

• #6 by pmillen on 02 Apr 2021
  • Is the bottom wooden slats with weed block or something for liner?

Bottom slats, like a bed frame and plastic liner material.  Heavier plastic is better.  They need to drain, though, or root rot can develop.

IDK what weed block is.  (I'm really new at this.)
  • #7 by pmillen on 02 Apr 2021
  • Another though, maybe 4" PVC pipe around the legs.

I think that's a good idea.
  • #8 by Free Mr. Tony on 02 Apr 2021
  • I grow herbs every year like that and have never had an issue with mice. The last two years I've had japanese beatles ravage my basil. Basil is the main thing I use out of the herbs so it's very disappointing.

Other than chemicals, anyone have a fix for japanese beatles?
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 02 Apr 2021
  • By chemicals do you mean spray?  I don't use spray, but when we have bad infestation of Japanese beetles I use the hanging traps with the scented bait that attracts them.  One year I filled a big bag a day with the little suckers, but my Mimosa tree was saved.  Some gardeners say not to use because it will attract more to your garden.  I did not find that to be the case.
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 02 Apr 2021
  • Is the bottom wooden slats with weed block or something for liner?

Bottom slats, like a bed frame and plastic liner material.  Heavier plastic is better.  They need to drain, though, or root rot can develop.

IDK what weed block is.  (I'm really new at this.)

Weed Block is a thick fabric that lets water through, but prevents weeds from coming up through.
    Usually use it for landscape areas where you would put mulch on top, or put it down when you are laying bricks or stone on top.
  • #11 by pmillen on 02 Apr 2021
  • Well...Weed block sounds like a better choice than plastic liner.

What do you use, FMT?
  • #12 by Free Mr. Tony on 02 Apr 2021
  • By chemicals do you mean spray?  I don't use spray, but when we have bad infestation of Japanese beetles I use the hanging traps with the scented bait that attracts them.  One year I filled a big bag a day with the little suckers, but my Mimosa tree was saved.  Some gardeners say not to use because it will attract more to your garden.  I did not find that to be the case.

Yes.  I did not realize there were traps for them. I will look for them.  Thanks!  They pretty much demolished a tree in our front yard as well. It literally looked as if the tree had caught fire.

Well...Weed block sounds like a better choice than plastic liner.

What do you use, FMT?

The containers I have were purchased from lowes I believe several years ago. There is a plastic insert with drainage channels and a drain plug. I don't use any other liner. The herbs grow great with daily watering. Herbs are about as green as my thumb gets. Everything else I try has failed. I can't grow a decent tomato to save my life.
  • #13 by Kristin Meredith on 03 Apr 2021
  • I use Spectracide Bag-a-Bug which I get at Lowe's.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Apr 2021
  • I use Spectracide Bag-a-Bug which I get at Lowe's.

I remember my parents house having June bugs really bad for a few years about 35 or so years ago.  At dusk, they would come up out of the ground and smash off of the aluminum siding.  They used to go through a bag a day of that killer too.
Pages:
Actions