Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Cooking" cast iron skillets  (Read 274 times)

Boatner

• Lurker
"Cooking" cast iron skillets
« on: April 03, 2021, 12:42:53 PM »

Hi folks. This is my first post and I hope this is the right forum...

Does anybody see a problem with seasoning my cast iron skillets in my new pellet "super smoker" (350 F for an hour)? It should do the temp fine but I wonder if the smoke would "impart" undesirable "flavor" to the skillet. It would help to keep from smoking up the house every time I use my oven to season.

Thanks,

Boatner

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: "Cooking" cast iron skillets
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 01:29:23 PM »

Welcome.  I moved your post to this section because I think more folks will see it.

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 01:47:17 PM »

Greetings, and welcome to the forum.

Here's a couple posts that might help you out:

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6498.0
https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6606.0
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 01:58:55 PM »

Another welcome here.

A pellet pit  will do a better job of seasoning cast iron than a gasser or any other direct flame cooker. The reason is indirect heating. You run the risk of burning the seasoning going the direct route... I have

seasoned several pieces of cast iron cookware in my pellet pit. If there was any sort of smoke infused into the seasoning, I sure as heck couldn't taste it. 

350ยบ should be a good temp unless you are using an extremely low smoke point oil. Much better to season @ a lower temp longer rather than risking burning the seasoning. I would season no less than 1 Hr.

If the seasoning is tacky when you are done, either the oil layer was too thick, a common mistake, or seasoning time too short..

I like to let the cookware completely cool before removing it from the oven/pit.

The one drawback to using any outdoor pit is a rapid cooldown VS an indoor oven.

Let us know how it went!

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 07:42:16 PM »

If you do decide this route, I would cover the surfaces that you are not seasoning (bottom and handle) with aluminum foil if your indoor stove is a glass cooktop style.  Mine stove is, and the smoke residue left on the pan bottom needs scrubbed off or it makes a mess on the stove top.
Pages: [1]   Go Up