Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PRE cut off Fat cap, then reapply before smoking!!??  (Read 1751 times)

chris becker

• Using less gas.
    • Cookinpellets
PRE cut off Fat cap, then reapply before smoking!!??
« on: September 29, 2017, 11:54:49 AM »

So I really dislike the fat cap..but love it in all it helps to do...which I think is to add flavor and some Bark. Just a pain to deal with so I thought...lets CUT it off first!
I season with my regular setup just to see if there would be a difference. Mustard, my own blend of spice, dark brown sugar. The I put the fatcap back on. Pretty NO but worth it I thought. I always do my shoulders in a shallow pan...see pics. I am NOT a sauce guy, I like what the meat brings to the table and its seasonings. So In the pan I always put some liquid. This time about a 1/2cup of each, orange juice, red wine, sweet rum... like Captains. I'm NOT a booze hound... Just like what it does at the end. During the smoke, Perfect Mix pellets BTW at 180 for 4 hours then 225 until center hits 200 degrees. On a 12lb shoulder that is roughly 13-14 hours and I keep adding filtered water if needed to keep moist. I just top off before bed. The before I pull I remove liquid with turkey baster. Full a coffee cup with juice to let separate. Pull Off Fat cap..SO EASY, pull meat, ADD BACK juice, using turkey baster again and go to bottom of cup to get juice! The fat will have separated to top of cup, ick! Put juice back over pulled pork to taste and EAT!!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
Chris The Pellet Guy

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: PRE cut off Fat cap, then reapply before smoking!!??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »

Interesting idea. I like to treat my pork butt the same as brisket, trim fat to about 1/4". Most of the fat renders by the end of the cook, and what's left is sticky goodness and I keep the trimmed fat for sausage.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »

Going on the theory that the more meat that is exposed to the smoke the more smoke flavor will be absorbed, I remove all surface fat before smoking. Since most of the fat cap is either dissolved or discarded, there is less bark to be distributed in the final product.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Queball

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »

Looks tasty, CB ...... So you're a "perfect mix" preferred guy? I use it also, but still prefer your hickory.

chris becker

• Using less gas.
    • Cookinpellets
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »

Some days PM some days Hickory Queball.
I'll have to try removing all fat... sounds good.
I don't make sausage so I guess I'll have to throw the fat away  :(
Chris The Pellet Guy

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 06:08:06 PM »

I was just thinking about what to do with fat trimmings the other day and thought about freezing them to give an attempt at sausage or hamburger.  This thread reinforced that idea.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 06:46:36 PM »

Some days PM some days Hickory Queball.
I'll have to try removing all fat... sounds good.
I don't make sausage so I guess I'll have to throw the fat away  :(

Why not render it down in a cast iron pan with some onion/garlic salt? Couldn't be much different than bacon fat.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »

I have rendered fat caps from really fatty butts (6 butts cooked at one time) in the past.  Slowwwwww in a pan.  I cool and toss it into a plastic baggie and into the freezer with a date.  Have I used it yet?  I don't think so. 

Still, pork fat is like god's gift, waste not want not when the time comes where you need it. 
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up