Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 09 Apr 2021
  • Potatis Korv is a Swedish potato sausage that I had never heard of.  My friend Myron is of Swedish decent, he grew up on a dairy farm close to St Paul.  He said that this was made and served at Christmas time.  He seemed truly pleased to be making it with me.  Not a lot of photos.  It does not have a lot of ingredients in it.  We used Eye of Round and Picnic about 6lbs total, 6 1/2lbs of russet potatoes, 2 large onions, salt, cracked All Spice & White Pepper Corns & some garlic (not traditional, but Myron is as big of fan of it as me).  Started with the large plate, but he settled on medium.  Raw onions and potatoes made for the wettest sausage I have ever made.  It is to hang in fridge for 24 hours, I am thinking it may need 48.

I did not think I would like it due to the All Spice, but it was better then I had expected.  Myron has only eaten it, never made, or seen it made.  He seemed pleased with the outcome.  I think he felt that it was fairly true to what was served at home.  Doing some research before he came over, I see that some recipes called for the potatoes to be cooked, some just par-boiled.   Recipe came out of the Nordic Cookbook by Magnus Nilsson and it did not say cook potatoes or use garlic.  I was not about to try and force a method on a recipe I had no idea how it should be.  I do believe the texture would have been better with at least a par boiled potato.

To me, the taste is reminiscent of making corned beef hash, grinding it and piping it!  I guess the traditional way of cooking is to use electric skillet with a little water and cook till water is evaporated.  I am going to take him the 2 big coils on Monday after they have Air dried.  I am going to warm smoke some of mine and see how I like it that way and take him a little too.

• #2 by BigDave83 on 09 Apr 2021
  • I remember having a potato sausage a few times when i was young. I don't think there was any cow in it as it was made when the farm butchered hogs in the fall. I don't remember what it tasted like.

I do remember really liking the cracklins after the lard was pressed, also the ham that was smoked for probably a week in the old smokehouse.

I think that is awesome that you get to make something like this for and with a friend. None of the people I know would be interested in doing anything like this, although the GF did help to grind and make sausage a few months ago. It wasn't something she would want to do often she said.
  • #3 by urnmor on 10 Apr 2021
  • Don’t know about the sausage however I have the cookbook and use often
Pages:
Actions