Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Camp Chef

Savannah Stoker adapter and install in my XT

(1/4) > >>

ScottE:
Thought I would post that I installed a Savannah Stoker controller in my Camp Chef XT. The factory controller (I had the old duty cycle version) is just OK at best, and didn't perform well in some weather conditions, such as wind. I've been against PID controllers after experience with my Country Smoker CS-450 (now owned by my son), but since the Savannah Stoker has a manual control option I decided to give it a try.

I almost didn't buy the controller, as unfortunately Savannah Stoker doesn't respond to email - I wasn't even sure they were still around, but they are - and there's even a new V5 version of the controller that has a new startup algorithm to help prevent overshoot (not indicated on the website anywhere, but it's what's shipping now). The Camp Chef adapter is also apparently no longer available, so I made my own: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4828394

I haven't cooked anything yet - spent a couple of hours yesterday dialinig in the parameters, but haven't had a chance yet to see how stable things are - it was a bit windy yesterday, so I may end up having to retune a bit, but we'll see after I get some time cooking on it.

The Savannah Stoker is a great controller and I'm looking forward to getting some cooks going with it. I'll post up a review and more details once I get some time on it.

02ebz06:
I bought mine about a year ago. The V4.
Was able to get the CampChef adapter then.

The feature I really like is being able to run the fan only.
Great for cold smoking cheese.

I had no problems with email to and from Billy.

ScottE:
So far the controller is great. I've only done some chicken thighs so far, smoked for 45 minutes at 180 then cooked at 300 to temp. I used the auto cook program just for fun, a feature I never expected to really use, but it's pretty cool.

I'll be doing some ribs and smoked baked beans next weekend so I'll see how they turn out.

I expect it'll be a while before I have the params tweaked just right for me, I had to lower outL quite a bit below where it was per the setup guide or temps would not come down at all.

It's great being able to smoke at 180 versus 225 (hi smoke on the stock controller is all that was stable, low smoke always flamed out). With the Stoker, no flame outs! It also gets to higher temps much faster than the stock controller and I have outH tuned down from the defaults.

Looking forward to the next cook, and I'll post it here.

02ebz06:
Look pretty tasty.  :cool:

Canadian John:

That's a win, win Scott.  As if you just acquired another pit, a much better one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View