Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 12 May 2021
  • I was practically raised on soup and casseroles—they are my comfort food.

A friend cooked this for me and gave me the recipe.  I subsequently found it on the Internet, here.

Ingredients
    4½ cups cubed cooked chicken (≈1lb. 6 oz. or 22 oz.)
    4 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1 cup cottage cheese
    ½ cup sour cream
    1 (10.75-oz) can cream of chicken soup
    ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon dried onion powder
    1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
    5 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions
    • Preheat the pit to 350ºF.
    • Lightly spray a 9×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set it aside.
    • Combine the chicken, cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, and cream of chicken soup.

• Spread the mixture into the baking dish.

• Combine the crushed crackers and butter and spread it over the chicken mixture.

• Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes.

Served

Tips & Comments
    • A rotisserie chicken is an excellent choice for the cooked chicken.  I cooked a seasoned breast sous vide.
    • It can be topped with crushed potato chips instead of Ritz crackers.
    • My baking dish was a different shape but about the same volume as the 9×9-inch dish the recipe called for.
    • I had to make a bit more butter & Ritz Cracker topping to get the covering I wanted.
    • You can stop after step 5 and refrigerate or freeze it for later baking.
    • To bake it after freezing, thaw it completely and bake it as directed.
    • For a gluten-free dish, use gluten-free Cream of Chicken soup and crushed pork rinds instead of Ritz crackers.
  • #2 by hughver on 12 May 2021
  • It sounds like a million dollars, I'll have to give it a try. Did the sous vide chicken breast dry out during the 350° baking? For baked casseroles I normally use thighs. I use sous vide breast for a plethora of different dishes I but add the juices during the cooking and the breast meat at the very end after it has cooled a bit. This technique works well with Curries, Pasta Alfredo, stews, Gumbo, etc..
  • #3 by pmillen on 13 May 2021
  • It sounds like a million dollars, I'll have to give it a try. Did the sous vide chicken breast dry out during the 350° baking?

It's so good that I overate both times I had it.

No, the chicken breast doesn't dry out.  It's baked in the mixture that has a lot of moisture.
  • #4 by Bentley on 13 May 2021
  • I guess I always think of casseroles as having noodles in them.  This would normally be served as a main with sides?
  • #5 by pmillen on 13 May 2021
  • This would normally be served as a main with sides?

Exactly.

Try it, Bentley.  You'll go back for a second helping.
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 13 May 2021
  • This looks like something I would try. But I also ask what do I do with it when it is done? Do I eat it over waffles, pasta, rice? Maybe wrap in a tortilla? I am thinking it will come out kind of thicker,, so maybe use as a dip for some tortilla chips, or maybe even layer it in with some of the no cook lasagna strips. I don't know why but my mind ells me it would be good with some corn and mushrooms added toss in a can of black beans with corn.

I guess I need to just make it and go from there.
  • #7 by pmillen on 14 May 2021
  • I guess I need to just make it and go from there.

Yeah, it's the entrée.  It's thicker than a stew, similar texture as Mac and cheese.

Add a vegetable side, maybe a salad.
  • #8 by glitchy on 16 May 2021
  • Paul, Thanks for sharing this, made it tonight for dinner and both wife and daughter went back for seconds. Already in Paprika to be made again some day. Next time going to go a touch longer or hit the broiler for a couple mins if I don’t shift to the MAK. It was rainy so tossed in oven.

Though, while I was eating it, I was trying to decide if it could be served over something. First thoughts were buttered egg noodles or biscuits.
  • #9 by pmillen on 16 May 2021
  • Next time going to go a touch longer or hit the broiler for a couple mins if I don’t shift to the MAK.

I kinda suspect that it was on the thin side.  That happened to me the first time I made it when I had it below 350°F for a while.  I put it back in and it thickened up quite a bit.

It pleases me that your family enjoyed it.
  • #10 by hughver on 17 May 2021
  • I also made this dish a couple of days ago and it was excellent. I used sautéed fresh onion/garlic instead of powder, used sous vide thighs and finished it off under the broiler. The moisture content was perfect when served as an entrée but probably would need a little more if served over pasta. Thanks for sharing Paul.  :lick:
  • #11 by Bentley on 17 May 2021
  • I wonder how crushed Flaming Hot Cheetos would do as a topping...Humm...
  • #12 by glitchy on 17 May 2021

Good idea, wife and I were already talking about variations to it. I was thinking about trying with diced Hatch chiles in the mix and crushed tortilla chips for the topping. We really liked it as written, but seems like one of those things you could have a few variations on.
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 17 May 2021

Good idea, wife and I were already talking about variations to it. I was thinking about trying with diced Hatch chiles in the mix and crushed tortilla chips for the topping. We really liked it as written, but seems like one of those things you could have a few variations on.

The Hatch Chilies work well in most casserole and Chili recipes, assuming you like them to start with.
    I put them in Mac & Cheese.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 May 2021
  • Speaking of Hatch Chili's, when are they in season?
  • #15 by glitchy on 17 May 2021
  • Speaking of Hatch Chili's, when are they in season?

Canned in the grocery store year round now ;) I think fresh is August if I’m remembering correctly.
Pages:
Actions