Recipe Section > Fowl

Million Dollar Chicken Casserole

(1/4) > >>

pmillen:
I was practically raised on soup and casseroles—they are my comfort food.

A friend cooked this for me and gave me the recipe.  I subsequently found it on the Internet, here.

Ingredients
4½ cups cubed cooked chicken (≈1lb. 6 oz. or 22 oz.)
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup cottage cheese
½ cup sour cream
1 (10.75-oz) can cream of chicken soup
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried onion powder
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
5 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

* Preheat the pit to 350ºF.
* Lightly spray a 9×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set it aside.
* Combine the chicken, cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, and cream of chicken soup.
Spread the mixture into the baking dish.
Combine the crushed crackers and butter and spread it over the chicken mixture.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes.           
           Served

Tips & Comments

* A rotisserie chicken is an excellent choice for the cooked chicken.  I cooked a seasoned breast sous vide.
* It can be topped with crushed potato chips instead of Ritz crackers.
* My baking dish was a different shape but about the same volume as the 9×9-inch dish the recipe called for.
* I had to make a bit more butter & Ritz Cracker topping to get the covering I wanted.
* You can stop after step 5 and refrigerate or freeze it for later baking.
* To bake it after freezing, thaw it completely and bake it as directed.
* For a gluten-free dish, use gluten-free Cream of Chicken soup and crushed pork rinds instead of Ritz crackers.

hughver:
It sounds like a million dollars, I'll have to give it a try. Did the sous vide chicken breast dry out during the 350° baking? For baked casseroles I normally use thighs. I use sous vide breast for a plethora of different dishes I but add the juices during the cooking and the breast meat at the very end after it has cooled a bit. This technique works well with Curries, Pasta Alfredo, stews, Gumbo, etc..

pmillen:

--- Quote from: hughver on May 12, 2021, 07:35:02 PM ---It sounds like a million dollars, I'll have to give it a try. Did the sous vide chicken breast dry out during the 350° baking?

--- End quote ---

It's so good that I overate both times I had it.

No, the chicken breast doesn't dry out.  It's baked in the mixture that has a lot of moisture.

Bentley:
I guess I always think of casseroles as having noodles in them.  This would normally be served as a main with sides?

pmillen:

--- Quote from: Bentley on May 13, 2021, 11:13:42 AM ---This would normally be served as a main with sides?

--- End quote ---

Exactly.

Try it, Bentley.  You'll go back for a second helping.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View