Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 May 2021
  • A friend of mine asked me to help show him how to cook brisket and pork shoulders for his son's graduation party.  I asked him if he had any rubs to use.  His answer was no since he doesn't BBQ.  I decided to go through my pantry and take all of the started containers I had and several large rub buckets for which I did the same thing a few years ago and make him some rubs.  After a cabinet purge, I think I have enough to give to 2-3 other people so I identified some friends that are just starting out smoking BBQ.  I am going to make some for them too.  I will have pork, beef, and chicken rub profiles.

Not sure if anyone else is like me and likes to buy a bunch of rubs, spices, etc that they see in stores and has containers of stuff stacked up all over the place.  I thought I would share this story and give you an idea to help you clean up your spice cabinets.
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 24 May 2021
  • Sounds like a good idea, however there is no hope for cleaning my spice pantry.  ???
    I personally don't buy rubs, I make my own pork and beef rubs.
    Don't have a poultry rub, just use poultry seasoning.
    OK, I guess you could call that a rub, so I do buy one rub.

• #3 by Canadian John on 24 May 2021
  •  
     That's a good way of turning over your rub stash.. I used to try new ones as they came out. That resulted is several open containers that eventually went stale.  For some reason ( old age perhaps ) I keep

using about 3 home made rubs, that's it.  They work well and I don't like tainting a proven cook with a maybe rub.  If it ain't broke.....
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 May 2021
  • I love to experiment with different flavor profiles so I buy different rubs.  Sometimes mix them together and use.  Sometimes attempt to replicate what I like.  Somehow, I always end up in the spice aisle at the grocery store, Sam's, Costco, etc.

I am pretty sure I can take what I have and make up something better than the "rookies" who don't know flavor profiles yet.  And, it gets stuff out of my house.  Been here 6 years now and it is time for a purge of lots of things - spices, electronics, luggage, storage boxes, etc.  May even need to get rid of a grill or two.
  • #5 by Bentley on 24 May 2021
  • I think this deserves an Atta Boy!
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 24 May 2021
  • I love to experiment with different flavor profiles so I buy different rubs.  Sometimes mix them together and use.  Sometimes attempt to replicate what I like.  Somehow, I always end up in the spice aisle at the grocery store, Sam's, Costco, etc.

I am pretty sure I can take what I have and make up something better than the "rookies" who don't know flavor profiles yet.  And, it gets stuff out of my house.  Been here 6 years now and it is time for a purge of lots of things - spices, electronics, luggage, storage boxes, etc.  May even need to get rid of a grill or two.

If you toss out the Elite, you can send it my way.  ;D
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 May 2021
  • That one is staying put as is the MAK
  • #8 by dk117 on 24 May 2021

I love your idea and am guilty of purchasing interesting looking rubs and ultimately mixing them together.  My leftover rubs end up put on chicken thighs.  Not sure I've done it exactly the same way more than twice, I'm enjoying the experimentation.  pork ribs, I buy mccormicks sweet and smoky and I don't see myself changing that one.  steaks I make my own simple rub.  beef roasts (chuck/tri-tip/brisket/prime rib) could be just about anything from montreal to simple to store bought.

11 years into pellet grilling and still having fun.  Rubs, seasoning, brine, marinades ... all part of that enjoyment. 

DK
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 24 May 2021
  • I have done this for a few people. End up cleaning up all of the partial bottles and making a big one time only batch. We use some and give it out. We usually make our own but still buy a bunch of different ones to try out.

We made up 28  4oz shakers of what we use most of the time to put in bags for the people where the GF works, I made up probably another 10 or 15 plus that many of my beef/all purpose seasoning and gave out to the guy that plows my driveway, the ladies at the post office, people where I used to work. People always ask for more.
  • #10 by 1MoreFord on 25 May 2021
  • In the same vein of thought the best chili I've ever eaten was a collection from a CASI chili comp.

I used to know an ole boy who was frugal to say the least and most likely miserly.  After every chili cook he'd go collect all the leftovers anyone would give him, portion them, and freeze them.  When someone would ask to buy some of his chili he'd go get some and sell them some.  When a charitable request was make he'd give them some.  I had mine at a Civitan Club money raiser.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 May 2021
  • Finally got around to mixing the rubs and creating separate pork, beef, and chicken flavors.  I ended up with more than I expected but was able to repurpose spice containers to fill to clean up more things that were in my garage or pantry.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #12 by Bentley on 31 May 2021
  • I do not think I have used the amount of rub in that photo in my lifetime!
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Jun 2021
  • Just dropped off two large bags full of containers at my cousin's place for him to share with 3 of his buddies and another bag at my best friends sons house.  Threw in some older wired thermometers and an old Maverick, an injector, and some bear claws to get them out of my garage too.  Next up to get rid of are a bunch of large containers for marinating meats.  That should clear up some shelf space.

Giving my niece a turntable and some powered speakers to hook it up to so I can start getting rid of some excess stereo equipment too.  Had to buy a metal storage rack with 5 shelves to put all of the extra equipment I own in the storage room.  Have several large containers of wires, cables, etc. that I need to go through and throw out too.  Can probably get it down to one container so that my storage room doesn't look like Radio Shack.
  • #14 by 02ebz06 on 19 Jun 2021
  • Just dropped off two large bags full of containers at my cousin's place for him to share with 3 of his buddies and another bag at my best friends sons house.  Threw in some older wired thermometers and an old Maverick, an injector, and some bear claws to get them out of my garage too.  Next up to get rid of are a bunch of large containers for marinating meats.  That should clear up some shelf space.

Giving my niece a turntable and some powered speakers to hook it up to so I can start getting rid of some excess stereo equipment too.  Had to buy a metal storage rack with 5 shelves to put all of the extra equipment I own in the storage room.  Have several large containers of wires, cables, etc. that I need to go through and throw out too.  Can probably get it down to one container so that my storage room doesn't look like Radio Shack.

I've got a couple old Mavericks as well in a closet. The Smoke is so much easier to use.
    Also go a lot of Audio and Network cables.
    It's on my ToDo List to drag them all out in the hallway and sort them by length, then label them with length, keep some and get rid of the rest.
Pages:
Actions