Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Traeger

Traeger Texas Elite 34 Burn Consistancy Issues

<< < (2/2)

Canadian John:

The FAN: If the fan is underperforming, turning slowly, damaged blades, or air flow to the fanis restricted, higher temperatures would be more affected than the lower ones.   The Traeger fans have one speed

= fixed airflow..  The requirement for more air parallels the the combustion rate: more fuel requires more air.

JoeGrilling:
Finally got to the bottom of this.  At set point 225F, the SSV4 could not converge on the set point.  The only thing I haven't changed out was the RTD. 

I setup my Fireboard with two environmental probes.  One probe was set in the middle of the chamber and the other tie wrapped to the RTD.  The center probe measured about 225F when the SSV4 measured 225F and the tier wrapped probe a few degrees lower.  Something interesting was observed after a significant amount of pellets were added after the RTD temperature dropped far below 225F.  The temperature crossed 225F and went to 245F as measured by the RTD.  However, the tie wrapped probe only measured 230F.  The RTD measurement was way off.  My theory is the erroneous high temperature reading prevented the SSV4 from adding more pellets soon enough to avoid a big undershoot.  The big undershoot resulted in a lot of pellets being added to get back to the set point resulting in an overshoot. It kind of explains the inability of the SSV4 to converge on the set point.

I had a new RTD in my parts box and installed it today.  The RTD and tie wrapped probe were within a few degrees of each other and the center probe a few degrees higher.  The setup with the new RTD converged on the 225F set point within in around 30 minutes and stayed around +/- 5F.

Canadian John:

BINGO ! Persistence pays off.   Now on with cooking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View