Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chris__M on 04 Jun 2021
  • Before my recent return, I was last active here in 2018. Although I carried on cooking on grills, the last 3 years had definitely been less adventurous, and more sticking to things I knew. Other factors was that my Traeger was running on a make-shift controller, and during the time I suffered several bouts of fairly serious illness (now all resolved), also resulting in a bit of depression (also resolved).

So in rekindling the hobby again, I have surprised myself with some purchases I had made and forgotten. Like these.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I bought these with enthusiasm in 2018, but then realised they would each take up a large amount of the grill space on my Lil Tex. So enthusiasm waned, and they got stuck in the cupboard.

I think with the real estate of the Legacy 1200, I can probably find room for these boys.  :D
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Jun 2021
  • A Johnny cake pan!  Are you going to make some for your friends?
  • #3 by Chris__M on 04 Jun 2021

I think that was my plan when I bought it back then, in a fit of enthusiasm, I feel kind of honour-bound to follow it through, now. :D

Cornbread is something I have never tried making, so will need to experiment; but I already make bread, so I should be ok.

Actually, I bet my no-knead bread would work brilliantly in that skillet. Hadn't even thought of that!
  • #4 by Th3Batman86 on 04 Jun 2021

is Johnny cake different than cornbread?
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 04 Jun 2021
  • Looks like you could make scones in it as well.
  • #6 by Bentley on 04 Jun 2021
  • I think Jonny Cake is unleavened...maybe wrong.
  • #7 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Jun 2021
  • I think of Johnny cake as the same as cornbread, but always cooked in the round and sliced into pie shaped wedges.  Probably a silly distinction, but there you have it.

Chris, just put lots of butter in those pans before you pour in the cornbread mixture.  A thick coating of butter for it to cook in is the secret to great cornbread :pig:
  • #8 by Chris__M on 04 Jun 2021
  • Looks like you could make scones in it as well.

That will probably be an easy first option, as I can already make scones. :)

Chris, just put lots of butter in those pans before you pour in the cornbread mixture.  A thick coating of butter for it to cook in is the secret to great cornbread

Yum.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jun 2021
  • For some reason, I don't equate cornbread to bread.  Having a wife from the South I have seen and eaten it before.

Congrats on finding the pans.  I have been finding a few things in my garage on shelves that I forgot I had as well.  One of them being a stainless steel Traeger grilling pan with perforations.
  • #10 by Th3Batman86 on 04 Jun 2021
  • My wife always makes it extra sweet and with a can of corn in it. I love it. I love the crunch the corn kernels give it. I usually do butter and honey :)
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jun 2021
  • I prefer cornbread with jalapenos in it but my wife wont make it that way
  • #12 by 02ebz06 on 04 Jun 2021
  • Not a big cornbread fan, but my preference would be with Jalapenos as well.
  • #13 by Bentley on 04 Jun 2021
  • Corn, Jalapenos & pineapple!
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jun 2021
  • Corn, Jalapenos & pineapple!

Never heard of pineapple.  Through some cherries in there and make a pineapple upside down cake...haha
  • #15 by ScottE on 05 Jun 2021
  • Chris, just put lots of butter in those pans before you pour in the cornbread mixture.  A thick coating of butter for it to cook in is the secret to great cornbread :pig:

Interesting! I will definitely try this the next time I make it! Thank you.
Pages:
Actions