Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Operation Oveerlord  (Read 321 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Operation Oveerlord
« on: June 06, 2021, 10:03:53 AM »

Just a little more about D Day and Operation Overlord.

77 Years ago Operation Overlord began on June 6 1944 with the Normandy Invasion.  It ended on  August 30 1944.  The cost was high on all sides.  The Allies landed more than 160,000 troops at Normandy, of which 73,000 were American.  There were also 83,115 British and Canadian forces who landed on Gold, Juno, and Sword beaches.  By the end of the first day, none of the assault forces had secured their first-day objectives.  Allied casualties on June 6 have been estimated at 10,000 killed, wounded, and missing in action: 6,603 Americans, 2,700 British, and 946 Canadians.
Once out of Normandy, Allied forces advanced quickly and liberated Paris on August 25.  German forces retreated across the Seine five days later, marking the end of Operation Overlord.
From D-day through August 21, the Allies landed more than two million men in northern France and suffered more than 226,386 casualties: 72,911 killed/missing and 153,475 wounded.  German losses included over 240,000 casualties and 200,000 captured.  Between 13,000 and 20,000 French civilians died, and many more were seriously wounded.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Operation Oveerlord
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 11:35:00 AM »

Thank you urmor.  All of these posts help us remember and hopefully never forget.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 07:00:00 PM »

I was just watching a program on the famed English Air Squadron 617 -- the "Dam Busters" -- and the men who flew and manned those Lancasters.  What really stood out to me was the age of these crews.  Pilots who were 24, Wing Commanders who were 26, gunners who were 18 and 19.  I think about what I was doing at those ages and what these men were doing at the same age and I am just in awe.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 07:14:54 PM »

I was just watching a program on the famed English Air Squadron 617 -- the "Dam Busters" -- and the men who flew and manned those Lancasters.  What really stood out to me was the age of these crews.  Pilots who were 24, Wing Commanders who were 26, gunners who were 18 and 19.  I think about what I was doing at those ages and what these men were doing at the same age and I am just in awe.
Too bad our children of the same age today have no idea what it is to place their lives at risk for their country. Glad they don't have to, but wish they knew the history. 

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »

Too bad our children of the same age today have no idea what it is to place their lives at risk for their country. Glad they don't have to, but wish they knew the history. 

In Nam and throughout my military career I served with young men and women of the same ages and I will say they were as dedicated and committed to serving our Country.  I can honestly say I was very proud to serve with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up