Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > MAK

GrillGrates on Mak

(1/2) > >>

elenis:
Good morning all. I was wondering if any of you own GrillGrates that you use on your Mak? I was potentially looking at getting some custom cut for my Mak 2 Star so I could take the standard ones off when I wanted to sear and the like, but I was curious if any of you have them and your opinion on them.

Bar-B-Lew:
Have you looked into the MAK sear grates.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=1888.0

I have a set of grill grates but have never used them on any of my grills.

elenis:

--- Quote from: Bar-B-Lew on June 09, 2021, 09:54:06 AM ---Have you looked into the MAK sear grates.

--- End quote ---

I did look at the Mak sear grates, but one of the things I saw about the grill grates that seemed nice is being able to flip them upside down and use them like a flat top with holes for bacon and the like. Also even with them Custom cutting the grill grates for the proper size for the Mak you still save money with them over the Mak ones. I am certainly happy I bought my 2 Star when back when I did. My 2 Star I bought in 2014 with the deal I found was $2200 brand new and now the similar one is $3200. I had a firmware update done on mine at one point and I paid to switch to the flashfire, but other then that and regular cleanings, I just feed it pellets and it does its magic.

Bar-B-Lew:

--- Quote from: elenis on June 09, 2021, 12:07:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bar-B-Lew on June 09, 2021, 09:54:06 AM ---Have you looked into the MAK sear grates.

--- End quote ---

I did look at the Mak sear grates, but one of the things I saw about the grill grates that seemed nice is being able to flip them upside down and use them like a flat top with holes for bacon and the like. Also even with them Custom cutting the grill grates for the proper size for the Mak you still save money with them over the Mak ones. I am certainly happy I bought my 2 Star when back when I did. My 2 Star I bought in 2014 with the deal I found was $2200 brand new and now the similar one is $3200. I had a firmware update done on mine at one point and I paid to switch to the flashfire, but other then that and regular cleanings, I just feed it pellets and it does its magic.

--- End quote ---

I upgraded the controller and hot rod on mine too as well as added the smoke cabinet and front shelf.  Had a few auger jams that are a pain to fix, but other than that it has been great for what I use it for.

I would be concerned about using the flat side of the grill grates to griddle.  The grease running off and directly hitting the hot drip pan could potentially start a grease fire. That is pure speculation on my part not based on any prior experience with that setup.

02ebz06:

--- Quote from: Bar-B-Lew on June 09, 2021, 12:27:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: elenis on June 09, 2021, 12:07:53 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I upgraded the controller and hot rod on mine too as well as added the smoke cabinet and front shelf.  Had a few auger jams that are a pain to fix, but other than that it has been great for what I use it for.

I would be concerned about using the flat side of the grill grates to griddle.  The grease running off and directly hitting the hot drip pan could potentially start a grease fire. That is pure speculation on my part not based on any prior experience with that setup.

--- End quote ---

Don't have a MAK, but if it will fit, put a baking sheet under the Grill Grates and take an old box of baking soda that you used in the fridge and spread it around in it.
The baking soda soaks up the grease and greatly reduces the possibility of a fire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View