Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > MAK

GrillGrates on Mak

<< < (2/2)

glitchy:
You might already know this, but both GrillGrates and pellet grill manufacturers, MAK especially, warn against putting full coverage GrillGrates on pellet grills. It interferes with airflow which is critical to controller behavior. For pellet grills they recommend a smaller searing station set on top of the factory grates, so air can flow around them.

glitchy:

--- Quote from: elenis on June 09, 2021, 12:07:53 PM --- I am certainly happy I bought my 2 Star when back when I did. My 2 Star I bought in 2014 with the deal I found was $2200 brand new and now the similar one is $3200. I had a firmware update done on mine at one point and I paid to switch to the flashfire, but other then that and regular cleanings, I just feed it pellets and it does its magic.

--- End quote ---

Prices have gone up some in past few years, but I think the 1 star is $2199 now and is bigger than a few years ago. It’s the same size grates as 2 star, but only has two rack positions. The 2 star is $3199. All models now include WiFi.

MP09:
The idea of baking soda is a great idea. i had a very minor flareup yesterday and i'm definitely going to try the baking soda trick! Great info on this site as always...

elenis:

--- Quote from: glitchy on June 11, 2021, 03:18:19 PM ---You might already know this, but both GrillGrates and pellet grill manufacturers, MAK especially, warn against putting full coverage GrillGrates on pellet grills. It interferes with airflow which is critical to controller behavior. For pellet grills they recommend a smaller searing station set on top of the factory grates, so air can flow around them.

--- End quote ---

I had forgotten and had been thinking of doing it all the way across when I wanted to sear and just use my normal grates the rest of the time. So thanks for pointing this out. Sounds like I should just let my Mak be the smoker I bought it to be and pick up the Proud Pyro Metal Chiminea that I was looking at for doing grilling and baking pizzas and the like over logs. Thanks Glitchy. Also the baking soda idea would be interesting I am just not sure where you would place a pan like that and not end up with the same type of issue I would with GrillGrates running across.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View