Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old School Smoker Cook  (Read 279 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Old School Smoker Cook
« on: June 12, 2021, 07:58:51 AM »

A buddy of mine asked me to help him cook some pork shoulders and chuck roasts (after I talked him out of making brisket) on a homemade smoker that his soon to be son-in-law owns.  He got the food on at about 3:30pm yesterday.  Had issues with rain and figuring out how to keep the grill at a smoking temp of 250°-275°.  Had a little success doing that.  After about 4.5 hours, I had him pull the meat off.  We panned it and poured some beers in pan before putting foil on them.  Put them in the oven at 250° to finish.  I am still waiting on him to find out how things turned out.  It is for a graduation party for his son today.  The pork shoulder sample I had before we foiled tasted pretty good and was pretty tender (outside edge).  I took some old thermoworks products with me to keep tabs on things.  The two thermometers on the lid of the grill were useless and ran at least 50° below the thermoworks units.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: Old School Smoker Cook
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 08:58:17 AM »

I see the chimney at the same end as the firebox.  I would think that it would be at the other end???

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 09:05:41 AM »

Nice looking rustic reverse flow. He would get fire management down with more use i bet. Heck the addition of some electronics in the TW Signals and Fan would probably be quite helpful. I would like to have something like that but just way to big for my needs. My GMG DC is over kill at times.

They have some nice color.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 10:39:04 AM »

Looks like some good eats at that party.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 11:16:16 AM »

The reason for the chimney at the same end of the firebox, is probably was built as a reverse flow smoker.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 11:44:27 AM »

The reason for the chimney at the same end of the firebox, is probably was built as a reverse flow smoker.

That is correct.  Air travels under the drip pan from right to left and then up over food and out the stack on the right.  Right side near the firebox was 30°-50° hotter than the left so I put the larger cuts of meat on that side.

My buddy pulled some of the shoulders about midnight last night and the remainder of stuff about 8am this morning and has kept it in his oven on warm.  Food temps were in the 175°-185° range.  He said it tasted phenomenal.  He was one of the folks I donated different flavor rubs to use.  Will be interested to hear what his guests think of the food.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 11:52:35 AM »

I should have talked to my brother before this adventure.  He would have explained to me how to use the grill.  I spoke to him this morning after the fact and in about 5 minutes I could have saved an hour or so of anxiousness yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up