Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ZCZ on 13 Jun 2021
  • Lilly of the Nile beginning to open

[ Invalid Attachment ]  PO
  • #2 by ZCZ on 13 Jun 2021
  • Have not done a pork butt (shoulder, more accurately) and missed not having had a pulled pork sandwich.
    Picked up a small bone-in from the local Albertsons down the street.  Curious to hear how price compares in your area.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Was thinking “this shouldn’t take long.”  If 3/4 to one hour per lb. maybe 6-8 hours tops
  • #3 by ZCZ on 13 Jun 2021
  • Not a bad looking piece of meat

[ Invalid Attachment ]

A healthy fat cap. Will run with fat cap down. Have heard arguments for up and down: what say you?

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #4 by ZCZ on 13 Jun 2021
  • Rubbed and ready. Used the same homemade rub I use on my ribs (paprika, salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne).

[ Invalid Attachment ]

On the grill at 230 deg. at 6:50 AM

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #5 by ZCZ on 13 Jun 2021
  • At about the 5 hour mark.  Coming along nicely. Thinking it should be done easily in time for dinner

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Along about 2:30 was beginning to have doubts as I was only just entering “The Stall” at 161 deg. so decided to wrap in foil to help it along

• #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jun 2021
  • That is a ridiculously high price.  I don't think I have ever seen one priced that high.  I am pretty certain they are under $2 at Sam's or Costco.

Lately, I have been trimming off the fat cap.  It is one less thing I have to deal with while pulling and I think it lets the smoke penetrate the meat better.

Looking forward to your finished product.  Always enjoy the pics of your flowers.
  • #7 by ZCZ on 13 Jun 2021
  • Well, the minutes turned to hours and it finally hit internal target of 205 deg. around 8 PM, 13 hours later. 
    “Butt” it was well worth the wait.  Came out with a good looking bark

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Pulled very easily and tasted as good as it looks

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #8 by ZCZ on 13 Jun 2021
  • Even after 8 PM it’s never too late for a pulled pork sandwich

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #9 by ZCZ on 13 Jun 2021
  • Sauce was Kraft Original.  You will have to ask Bentley about his blind taste test

Had to have a second one with Cole Slaw on top!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Having reached internal temp of 205 it pulled very easily. The bone came out clean

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Maybe bone-in takes longer?  Thoughts?  Comments?

Thanks for watching,
    Alan
  • #10 by cookingjnj on 13 Jun 2021
  • Hey Alan,  not sure on the price as it has been a while since I have bought shoulder.  I am also one who trims a lot of the fat cap off before cooking, but whatever fat cap is still left on I always put down facing the heat.  Those sammies look great.  Makes me want some pulled pork now.  Nicely done!
  • #11 by SmokinHandyman on 13 Jun 2021
  • Prices around here are 99 cents to $1.49 per pound
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 13 Jun 2021
  • That is a nice looking sammie you made there.

Prices here are usually 1.49 to 1.69 sometimes .99 but not that often anymore. I looked at Gian Eagle yesterday just walking pass and they were 2.79 I believe. GE meat prices are always high. When they put them on sale for buy one get one the price goes up to 3.79. They had Top Round London Broils for 3.99 but nothing cut thick like they used to, I was going to get a few and make some jerky. The meat dept was closed at the time we were there or I would have asked the to cut some.

I usually do fat down because I get more bark on the meat. I don't think you get nice bark on the bottom with fat up as the juices run down and always keep the bottom wet, but that may be just me. Plus since I usually do them in the little cookshack electric the bottoms get over cooked being so close the heat, unless I only do one or two and can keep them on an upper rack.

I like some good pulled pork now and then, and people like it when i make it, my problem is by the time I get it pulled, I am nt hungry for it. I really like to cure them and make pulled ham.
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 13 Jun 2021
  • Nice cook!!!

We get them usually for $1.79/lb and occasionally $1.49/lb.
  • #14 by Kristin Meredith on 13 Jun 2021
  • I love Queen of the Nile, had whole beds full in Pasadena.  Too cold back here for them to survive a winter.  I am sure you have had some sticker stock prices in So Cal, it is an expensive state and expensive area for a lot of things.
  • #15 by ZCZ on 13 Jun 2021
  • I am sure you have had some sticker stock prices in So Cal, it is an expensive state and expensive area for a lot of things.

In many ways not that much difference from MN. LOVE the weather out here. I am a summer guy. They were so short in MN. The big draw tho was being close to our two daughters and grandkids after retirement.  Blessed with two good son’s-in-law too!
Pages:
Actions