Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 17 Jun 2021
  • We will be traveling to Texas in October.  I know OK isn't exactly on the way, but I am the navigator, so I can decide the route.  I have heard about various chicken fried steak places in OK and I need the local knowledge.  I am going to list -- in no particular order -- and need folks to weight in.  Looking for home made, fresh, really exceptional CFS folks!  Other suggestions are very welcome. Thanks.

1. Cheever's Cafe, Oklahoma City

2. Tally's Good Food Cafe, Tulsa

3. Clanton's Cafe, Vinita

4. Kendall's Restaurant, Noble

5. Rock Cafe, Stroud

6. Noble House, Watonga

7. Ann's Chicken Fry House, Oklahoma City

8. The Bros. Houligan, Tulsa

9. Cafe Alley, Ardmore

10. The Red B, Idabel
  • #2 by Bentley on 17 Jun 2021
  • We are going to East Texas via Oklahoma...interesting navigating!
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Jun 2021
  • We are going to East Texas via Oklahoma...interesting navigating!

Depending on where you are going, I don't think it is too far fetched.  Take 81 down to around Knoxville and 40 across TN to OK and turn left at some point to go to where you are heading in TX.
  • #4 by reubenray on 17 Jun 2021
  • We will be traveling to Texas in October.  I know OK isn't exactly on the way, but I am the navigator, so I can decide the route.  I have heard about various chicken fried steak places in OK and I need the local knowledge.  I am going to list -- in no particular order -- and need folks to weight in.  Looking for home made, fresh, really exceptional CFS folks!  Other suggestions are very welcome. Thanks.

1. Cheever's Cafe, Oklahoma City

2. Tally's Good Food Cafe, Tulsa

3. Clanton's Cafe, Vinita

4. Kendall's Restaurant, Noble

5. Rock Cafe, Stroud

6. Noble House, Watonga

7. Ann's Chicken Fry House, Oklahoma City

8. The Bros. Houligan, Tulsa

9. Cafe Alley, Ardmore

10. The Red B, Idabel

Can I come with you?  I love chicken fried steaks.
  • #5 by okie smokie on 17 Jun 2021
  • Stop!!! Only place to go is Nelson's Buffeteria at 4401 S. Memorial in Tulsa, Ok.  They have been in Tulsa for 80 plus years.  Their chicken fried steak is and the fixens are super and you go through the line quickly. Also today the blue plate special was roasted chicken with dressing and their pies are great also. Filled to capacity before noon, so try to get there about 11:30 AM.  Of all the places mentioned in the Oklahoma listings above, this is better than all!!
    Their web page: 

nelsonsbuffeteria.com

Tally's ? meh!
    Brother's Houligan is very tender, but tends to be soggy and not crisp crusted.  Good gravy though.
  • #6 by Kristin Meredith on 18 Jun 2021
  • Love to have you ruebenray, but it may be a fly by our pants, last minute decision.  Need to plan a CFG "crawl" through several states and see if members have recommendations and would join us!

Thanks okie smokie.  Biggest problem for us may be hours of operation and days open, but looking at reviews and photos it looks like great CFS! Would definitely make the "crawl" list.
  • #7 by okie smokie on 18 Jun 2021
  • If you decide to do Tulsa, let me know. Perhaps we can meet for lunch if it fits your schedule. 
Pages:
Actions