Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotisserie Pork Butt  (Read 2880 times)

Queball

Rotisserie Pork Butt
« on: September 30, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »

Found an interesting opportunity at Wally World yesterday. .... 1/2 of a Boston Butt. Weighing in at just over 4lbs it was a nice size for rotisserie grilling and nicely sized for just 2 of us with some tasty leftovers for later.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Decided to try these Grill Mate offerings and see what they had to offer. I typically make my own rubs but this was convenient. Grill Mate's "Memphis Dry Rub" I've used before and I thought it was very good. The Hawaiian Wood Fire on pork sounded tasty too, with a little pineapple thrown in. It was a marinade but we'd use it as a glaze.

The Prep
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
First removed the netting on the meat. Don't know if you need to, but it was elastic and felt like plastic. Can it be left on?
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
For stability and compactness I tied the roast along its sides and lengthwise.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Then set the rotisserie rod.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Finally applied a rub and it was ready for the cooker.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
The cook would be done with "Cookin Pellets Hickory" .... Our Favorite.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:27:10 PM by Queball »

Queball

Rotisserie Pork Butt
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »

The Cook
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
The temperature was set at 300 degrees for Hot & Fast. Our finish time is projected at 4 hours with 2 hours naked and then 2 hours foiled on the rotisserie. After the 1st hour it was looking good, the color was starting to develop.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
After hour 2 we had all the color we needed. A quick read thermometer gave us readings from 155 to 165 in different spots. Time to foil!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
We heated then applied that Hawaiian sauce.  We basted the pork heavily with it.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
The butt was then wrapped with foil and tightly sealed. The hope is, that as it rotates, it will continue to baste itself with the sauce.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
After 2 more hours the roast was probing effortlessly. The IT was 207 to 210. Thought maybe I "over toasted" it and it would be dry. Off it came!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:10:03 PM by Queball »

Queball

Rotisserie Pork Butt
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Placed in a foil pan and still wrapped in foil, the "Roto Pork" was rested for 1 hour wrapped in heavy towels.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
With bearclaws in hand we pulled and shreded it.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
It looked wonderful .... nice and moist, and it pulled easily.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
While resting I grilled some pineapple rounds for the sandwiches.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Rotisserie Pulled pork, with Hawaiian sauce and grilled pineapple
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
TASTY!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:14:37 PM by Queball »

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
Re: Rotisserie Pork Butt
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »

Looking great Queball! I'd like to get a rotisserie one of these days - looks like a fun way to cook  :bbq:
PZ

Queball

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 02:16:01 PM »

PZ,
More fun than a barrel of monkeys! Just prepped a roaster chicken for supper tonight. It also is going for an extended round and round rotisserie cook. Chicken and duck do really well on the rotisserie. Nice even cooking and great color. Going to have to try a twin turkey breast. That would be a nice size for the rotisserie.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:41:59 PM by Queball »

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 02:48:33 PM »

Nice setup you have there.
I like your prep stand for your spit too
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Queball

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 02:56:48 PM »

It's really handy! .... The wooden one was the mock up to build the aluminum one. After the fact, it has become really handy for applying rub and doing injecting. And more, it's a lot of fun to cook with!

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »

It's really handy! .... The wooden one was the mock up to build the aluminum one. After the fact, it has become really handy for applying rub and doing injecting. And more, it's a lot of fun to cook with!
Did you build it yourself?
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »

How was the flavor, bark, etc.?  It looks great.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Queball

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 03:47:12 PM »

SmokinHandyman,
Yes! I made the rotisserie. Did everything except the welding which unfortunately I don't know how to do. Here on the site go to "PIT TALK", COOKSHACK, PG500 CUSTOM ROTISSERIE. You can see how it was made there.

Queball

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 03:59:35 PM »

Bar-B-Lew,

It was the best pork butt I've ever done, strictly by accident. But that's how we learn! I got distracted, and the temperature got up to 207/210 in different parts. Normally I would pull it at a lower temp. This probed effortlessly. First time I've had a pork butt probe like that. It was super moist and I'm sure the sealed foil wrapped around it contributed big time to self basting it. I'm not a big bark guy so others might not be please with this effort. That marinade from Grill Mates is very good. It was my intention to also inject the butt with the marinade. I failed to strain the marinade and fouled out both of my injector tips and gave up on that. But next time I will inject, but strain first. That will bring even more taste to the dance. With the grilled pineapple that would be super good! It turned out to be a terrific cook and with a half sized butt the load on the rotisserie was minimal.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 04:04:47 PM »

Well, you are only about 3.5 hours from me.  I can let you know a few hours before I leave the house so you can have this ready for me by the time I get there.  :lick:

I probably drove by your house on the way to the Outer Banks in 2016.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Queball

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 04:08:49 PM »

My door is always open "my brother" and you are welcome. If you go south along the coast toward Virginia Beach/Norfolk then I'm sure you have. Salisbury is the main crossroads for highways going north/ south and East/West.

Next trip just look for the smoke clouds. 8)
I'll be waiting.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 09:31:22 PM »

So was it boneless and rolled?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 11:06:36 PM »

:lick: Great job
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036