Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dalstrong 12" Sujihiki Slicer  (Read 301 times)

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
Dalstrong 12" Sujihiki Slicer
« on: June 25, 2021, 01:19:26 AM »

I am posting this here since the Knives, Sharpeners, Cutting Boards & Mats sub-forum is essentially inactive.

I cooked my latest brisket back in early April. The cook went fine but I had some trouble slicing. I was using my Global chef's knife. I was finding that the meat was sticking to the knife and not slicing cleanly. This caused the meat to break apart when cutting cross grain.

I had to slice with care to keep the meat from breaking up. Global knives are high quality, and the chef's knife was reasonably sharp.

Also, the knife was not long enough for the width of the brisket so I had to cut it into a couple of pieces.

I recalled seeing that carveries and BBQ's often used knives with round ends. After doing some searching I discovered why. The Granton edge allows the meat to release from the blade, and the long length can handle large size meats.

Also, they are very sharp.

After doing some searching I decided on the Dalstrong 12 inch Sujihiki Slicer. Amazon price was $120.

This knife has made a significant improvement on the quality of my food. How food is sliced can affect flavor. I can make wafer thin slices without sticking. The knife slices like going through butter.

I have never been able to produce such consistent results with other knives.

I have used my knife on three tri-tips and a turkey breast. I was able to make sandwich width slices of both the tri-tip and the turkey. I may need to try another bottom round roast. I had given up on them since I could not slice thin enough by hand.

The knife is made from AUS-10V Japanese steel. I am not a metals expert but I understand that this is high quality.

A plus is that this knife comes with a high quality sheath which some of the top slicing knives did not. I am happy to have the sheath considering how sharp the knife is. It will be interesting to see how it holds its edge over time.

At least for now, it is serving me well.

[ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 01:23:27 AM by Hank D Thoreau »

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Dalstrong 12" Sujihiki Slicer
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »

Nice purchase!!!
That sheath is nice addition!

I have a Wusthof Brisket knife that works really well too.

Can't say the same for the Wusthof Chef's Knife or the scissors I had.
The Wusthof Chef's Knife cost more than the entire set of Chicago Cutlery knives I've had for over 40 years, and is no better than any of them.
Really disappointed in that knife.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:53:34 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Dalstrong 12" Sujihiki Slicer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »

I have the Dalstrong Gladiator slicing knife and love it. I think yours is a step above that and I'm wowed by the lower version. I don't even remember where the electric knife ended up after I got the Dalstrong. Until you use nice knives, it's so hard to understand how much better a quality knife is and how much longer the edge seems to last. I use the slicer to slice subprimals into steaks too, it cuts clean on raw or cooked meat.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive
Pages: [1]   Go Up