Get Started Here > If you want to introduce yourself...

New to pellets - Florida humidity

(1/3) > >>

djboca:
Hello all! I'm thinking of buying a pellet smoker/grill and am concerned about the humidity here in Florida. I've heard horror stories about pellets swelling and ruining pellet smokers. What is the best way to run a pellet smoker safely in this humidity?

Brushpopper:
I'm in Texas between Corpus and San Antonio.  I keep my pit and pellets in my barn when not is use with no problems at all with humidity.  I think I'm about on the 28th parallel if that helps.  Bad things happen when pellets get wet though.

02ebz06:
Welcome to the forum!

Bentley:
I know that our RH is probably 20-30% lower then yours, but I have never had an issue with it.  Have never really had anyone say that it has been a problem in areas that are high.  If you are not storing them for 2-3 years, you should be OK.  You might consider buying some cheap plastic trash cans like I did and dumping them in those.  Mind hold about 200lbs each and last for about a year, and I see no degradation!

Canadian John:

Welcome djboca !

There is an old saying.."Keep your powder dry". This applies to pellets as well.. A high humidity environment simply requires a more common sense to storing anything hygroscopic such as coffee, food, and yes

wood pellets...  Given common sense care, you shouldn't have any problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View