Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Clonesmoker on 29 Jun 2021
  • I did some pork belly burnt ends over the weekend. I started at 275 and let them go for about an hour or so. I went to turn them and noticed the ones on the left back of the DB (I was facing the lid) were a lot darker than the rest of them. It seems I have always had a hot spot there it seems. Any type of remedies? Does moving the drip pan more toward the front help. I do have a 3" furnace elbow facing straight down. Wonder if I need to adjust it more toward the back. Every place else seems good. Side to side temp is fairly even also. Just wondering what I could do to fix it. TIA!!
  • #2 by Canadian John on 30 Jun 2021

•  What comes to mind is to block the gap between the pit body and drip tray @ the cooking grid. You will have to guess @ how much of an area you want to deal with first. You could try using aluminum foil -

inexpensive and easy to work with. Once you have established the area (s) that even the temps out, a more permanent type of shielding such as sheet metal may be used..

The biscuit test is a quick and inexpensive way to establish grate temperatures.  The ultimate being temperature probes. Either of these tests should indicate the hot spots and be done at the start so as to

give good guidance as to what you are dealing with.
  • #3 by TravlinMan on 30 Jun 2021
  • Look at the flame diffuser - the box that sets over the burn pot..  GMG redesigned the diffuser at some time in the past and widened the ‘locating notches’ on the bottom of the diffuser box.  If your notches are wider than the tabs they set in - slide the diffuser box to the left - which should divert more flame and heat to the right of the box.. Then check your temps from left to right and they should balance out a little more if your unit is ‘adjustable’.

:bbq:
  • #4 by Bentley on 30 Jun 2021
  • I am not avoiding you...I have not cooked on the DB in 2 years and it being a 2010, not sure I could help you with yours!
  • #5 by Clonesmoker on 01 Jul 2021
  • Look at the flame diffuser - the box that sets over the burn pot..  GMG redesigned the diffuser at some time in the past and widened the ‘locating notches’ on the bottom of the diffuser box.  If your notches are wider than the tabs they set in - slide the diffuser box to the left - which should divert more flame and heat to the right of the box.. Then check your temps from left to right and they should balance out a little more if your unit is ‘adjustable’.

I'm really good at checking my left to right temps, it's the back left that is hot. Yes I do have the newer style heat shield. Just can't figure out why the left rear corner tends to run about 15 degrees hotter than anywhere else.
  • #6 by TravlinMan on 01 Jul 2021

I'm really good at checking my left to right temps, it's the back left that is hot. Yes I do have the newer style heat shield. Just can't figure out why the left rear corner tends to run about 15 degrees hotter than anywhere else.

That’s a good question as to why..   You could expend a lot of time and thought into re-engineering to correct the issue or you my keep this in mind and rotate/shift your cooking load from left to right - front to back about halfway through your smoking/cooking time.   

In all reality, IMHO - 15d is not ideal - but it it is real close and workable..   All of these pellet units will exhibit their little ‘idiosyncrasies’ here and there. Knowing your units ‘character’ can sometimes be used to your advantage - either working with it or around it..

Try starting it up with the lid open and drip trays out - just the flame diffuser in place and observe the flame and heat distribution from the burn pot, then shutting it down and when cooled down, look and study the underside of the diffuser. A solution may come to mind on how to adjust or modify the diffuser to limit the flame/heat to the LR corner..

Best regards, and keep your GMG busy this upcoming weekend.. 

Tis the season,…. :bbq:

• #7 by Canadian John on 02 Jul 2021

•  In the midst of all of this, have you tried discussing your concern with Green Mountain ???

• #8 by Hank D Thoreau on 13 Jul 2021
  • I have been doing some tests with multiple probes. So far I have found temperatures to be consistent front to back, but varying left and right.

My grill is hottest on the stack side. I am still experimenting with the position of the diffuser. I will be shifting it again soon since I was running the pizza oven over the holiday.

I use the Daniel Boone like it has zones.
  • #9 by Brushpopper on 13 Jul 2021
  • I think I remember offsetting my one piece diffuser 3/4 inch to the right of center and having good results
Pages:
Actions