Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chris__M on 30 Jun 2021
  • ... and quite possibly other LG grills, I don't know. :)

Most of  you will not ever encounter this issue, as it applies to those of us in Europe.

My first grilling kit came set to Fahrenheit, and even though we use Celsius over here, I quickly adapted. Especially as most of my BBQ cookbooks and websites I visit use °F. I took to using °F in the BBQ area, while using °C (and Gas Mark) in the kitchen, for conventional cooking.

Later kit came with the ability to do either - the ETI Thermopens, my Inkbird devices, my GMG Davy Crockett - they could all be switched from °F to °C fairly easily. But I carried on using °F, as I was used to it, and had the more commonly used meat and pit temperatures in my brain in °F.

Enter my new LG grill. It came set to Celsius, but both on the front display and in the app there is a F/C button. Pressing it switches to °F.

But unlike any other kit I have, when you turn the LG off, it resets to °C. Which means if I am not paying attention, the grill gets far too hot.

This is compounded by the grill automatically coming on at the last temperature set, unlike my GMG, which always starts at a suitable "low" temperature.

So today, I wanted the grill set to 235°F. I turned it on, and it was set to 176°; I thought, that's fine, I'll let it start up and get going, then set it to 235°F. But (of course) it was 176°C, or 350°F; by the time I realised, it was already past 320°F.

No harm done, I noticed in time; but it is one more thing to have to think about. I don't think it is unreasonable that if someone sets their grill to Fahrenheit, that is probably how they want it set, for good.

Have written to LG, asking if this is hard-wired, or can I cheat it by changing my personal profile and lying that I am in the US. But their level of response hasn't been great up to now - most enquiries result in an email suggesting I call their telephone helpline (even when I make it clear I am in the UK).

Suggestions welcome, but I'm really just posting this to vent.  :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
  • #2 by Brushpopper on 30 Jun 2021
  • My P&S has the same style controller.  They are made by Roanoke for P&S and LG.  You might try contacting them.  I always make sure I turn it all the way down before shut down so it starts at 180 every time.  I preferred the way my Daniel Boone started at 150 also so that is why I turn the P&S down. 
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 30 Jun 2021
  • Chris, I agree that is rather absurd resetting the temperature scale.
    Heck, my Smoke thermometers remember the C/F setting.

The Memphis controller does the same, starts cooking immediately at temp it was shut down at.

It wouldn't take much to make these intelligent controllers intelligent.
    On the Memphis there is a menu for dealing with WIFI setup and something else (I forget what), and if you are in the menu, it is still dropping pellets and starting it up.
    How stupid.

Would be simple to always come up in the menu after a normal shutdown, and cooking be one of the menu items.
    When grill is cooking a flag would be set, when shutdown normally it is cleared.
    When grill comes up after an abnormal shutdown, flag will still be set, so then go right back to cooking.
    Not rocket science...

"Calibrate RTD" would be another nice item to have in the menu.

• #4 by Chris__M on 30 Jun 2021
  • Yep. I have a theory that if I logged on an changed my location to somewhere in the States, it would default to °F. But am loathe to try it until I get a response back from LG.
  • #5 by TravlinMan on 30 Jun 2021
  • I do not have any direct information on the newer models, but I seem to remember on my unit, in an obscure area of the owners manual, there was a reference on how to change the readout to either C/F..  I know this is not much help, but It is likely to be be in there somewhere.  If you do not have the manual, you may be able download it from Dansons..

:bbq:
  • #6 by Bentley on 30 Jun 2021
  • Suggestion: A laminated note and magnet!
  • #7 by Chris__M on 30 Jun 2021
  • I do not have any direct information on the newer models, but I seem to remember on my unit, in an obscure area of the owners manual, there was a reference on how to change the readout to either C/F..  I know this is not much help, but It is likely to be be in there somewhere.  If you do not have the manual, you may be able download it from Dansons..

Thanks for the info, but I do have my grill's manual, both in paper and handy PDF form (but not that handy, as effectively every page is an image, so not searchable). It has instructions on how to change from C to F, and I can do that, both on the control display and the app. The problem is that the default for the European models is C, and it resets to that whenever you turn off the grill.

In fact your comment made me look through the manual again, and I noticed that it actually says this "the default is C".

However, whether this is a hardware thing, or it uses my profile details (one of the things you have to do with this WiFi-connected grill is set up a Profile) I don't know.
  • #8 by Chris__M on 30 Jun 2021
  • Suggestion: A laminated note and magnet!

Old school!
  • #9 by Brushpopper on 01 Jul 2021
  • I'm with Bentley with the magnet.  I still think you should try contacting Roanoke.  They make the controllers for MAK too I think.
  • #10 by TravlinMan on 01 Jul 2021
  • I'm with Bentley with the magnet.  I still think you should try contacting Roanoke.  They make the controllers for MAK too I think.

Believe Danson went to using their own controller - real manufacturer?

I found this information for a different LG model:
    Likely a different controller..
    Since they sell these in the States also I suspect there is similar switch in all the controllers to set the default temp to either C of F

LED Display Has Wrong Readout
     The Temperature Setting Switch Is Not Set Correctly To Read oC / oF
     Disconnect unit from power source. Remove hopper access panel (see Electric Wire Diagram for diagram) to access the back of the Digital Control Center. Use a small flashlight to find the temperature setting switch, located near the center of the back of the Digital Control Center. Flip the switch to oC (Celsius) or to oF (Fahrenheit), as preferred. Replace hopper access panel.

Essentially, remove and look at the back of the controller and see if it has a switch to select the default of C or F..

Hopefully this will help… :bbq:
Pages:
Actions