Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Brushpopper on 01 Jul 2021
  • I fired up my Maverick this evening to cook a brisket for the weekend and right after I put the meat on it stopped working.  I had power to the plug so I have no idea what to check.  Any suggestions?   :help: :help:
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Jul 2021
  • If it is not the GFI outlet, check the fuse on the controller.  Or, if it is like my Memphis and there is a plug a socket end to the chord that has to be plugged in to the prong on the back of the controller.  Make sure that socket end is good and tight to the prong on the controller.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 02 Jul 2021
  • Hope you got it working by now, they use the roanoake controller I think. When I had my rectec it had one in and there is a 5A fuse on the back of it, assuming they are built the same way as mine was.
  • #4 by Brushpopper on 02 Jul 2021
  • I'm going to mess with it this morning.  It was like we lost power but there are no GFCI plugs on the circuit and I had power to the plug.  It shut off when I closed the lid after putting the brisket on
  • #5 by Canadian John on 02 Jul 2021
  •  I believe Lew nailed it.  I had the plug that connects to the controller almost come off on my Memphis ( same make of controller). After making sure it was firmly connected I made a "strain relief" using a zip

tie to hold the power supply cord to the pit so as to prevent any  movement @ the cord to controller connection. Note: black colored zip ties are UV resistant and will last longer than the white ones.

If there is power @ the controller and the fuse is good: that leaves the controller itself..Don't just look @ the fuse. Check it with an ohmmeter.  For the power supply cord, check it @ the end where it plugs into

the controller using a voltmeter.

• #6 by Bentley on 02 Jul 2021
  • Does the outlet have power?  Main fuse panel?
  • #7 by Brushpopper on 02 Jul 2021
  • Lew nailed it.   :cool:  It was the 5A fuse, which I know I have and can't find.  I had a 10A and it worked with that but I'll get the right one today and cook the brisket tonight.  It ain't supposed to start raining until 5 or 6 tomorrow afternoon.  Thanks y'all!!
  • #8 by Brushpopper on 02 Jul 2021
  • My daughter says that yesterday the lights flickered right before I came in and said my pit stopped.  May have had a surge so I'll have extras on hand just in case.
  • #9 by Canadian John on 02 Jul 2021

•  RELIEF! Glad you found it..
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Jul 2021
  • #11 by Canadian John on 02 Jul 2021

•  DON'T DO THIS: Wrap a pellet with aluminum foil to use as a fuse.. All in gest! Just thought of it.
  • #12 by 02ebz06 on 02 Jul 2021

•  DON'T DO THIS: Wrap a pellet with aluminum foil to use as a fuse.. All in gest! Just thought of it.

It's OK if you like sparks and fire that aren't in the burn pot.
  • #13 by Brushpopper on 02 Jul 2021
  • I remember the days of wrapping a fuse in a gum wrapper to get home.  Children don't try this at home.  I am a trained professional.  I don't even know if Juicy Fruit uses foil wrappers anymore.
  • #14 by BigDave83 on 03 Jul 2021
  • I remember the days of wrapping a fuse in a gum wrapper to get home.  Children don't try this at home.  I am a trained professional.  I don't even know if Juicy Fruit uses foil wrappers anymore.

Fuses today look nothing like those days, I guess you could fold the gum wrapper to the right width and stuff it in where the blades go.
  • #15 by Brushpopper on 03 Jul 2021
  • I figured out why the fuse popped.  I fired the pit up late yesterday to cook the brisket and after about eight minutes there was no smoke even though I could hear pellets going into the burn pot.  I took everything out and used a couple cotton balls and charcoal lighter to get the fire going and I was back in business.  My igniter must have died and caused the fuse to pop.
Pages:
Actions