Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Dansons/Country Smokers...Louisana Grills...Pit Boss

Country Smokers Traveler - After a year of use

(1/3) > >>

TravlinMan:
Bought at end of year Clearance from Menards - 2019 - Price after rebate $150

So far I like the little grill.  I set it up on a Harbor Freight tool cart with the top tray installed upside down to make an upper flat surface.

For a little grill, it seems to maintain the set temperatures really well and appears to cook fairly even across the entire cooking surface.

I noticed some smoke coming from the hopper lid while using it, as mentioned in earlier posts here.  Although I never experienced a hopper fire with this unit, the smoke gave me enough concern to try a ‘back yard fix’ by adding some more ventilation holes in the back of the cover along side of the factory ventilation holes.  This appears to have helped greatly on preventing the cooking side back pressure to migrate through the auger and into the pellet hopper. So far, the smoke from the hopper has diminished to a point I do not even notice it any more..

Overall, for the price, I have been very happy with this little smoker/grill… It has been ideal for just me and the wife for little quick cooks and is a lot thriftier on pellets for firing up for just a burger, a dog or two.. :bbq:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Edited for missed words and to correct the auto correct.      :rotf:

02ebz06:
Hard to pass up for that price. Nice score!
I like your hack. Cool idea.

Canadian John:

Always nice to read a good review that had had a true test of time especially when mods are involved.   Reducing the exhaust restriction aimed @ hopper smoke reduction/elimination is interesting. Has that

affected cooking in any way at all?

Good move on the inverted cart shelf!

TravlinMan:

--- Quote from: Canadian John on July 06, 2021, 03:18:12 PM ---
  Always nice to read a good review that had had a true test of time especially when mods are involved.   Reducing the exhaust restriction aimed @ hopper smoke reduction/elimination is interesting. Has that

affected cooking in any way at all?

Good move on the inverted cart shelf!

--- End quote ---

The cooking hasn’t been affected in any way that I have noticed.

The Harbor Freight rolling tool cart was what I initially set up for the Traeger PTG and the GMG Davy Crockett years back when the ‘other site’ was active.

There was a lively discussion about what people were using for stands/carts for their portable grills.  This is what I ended up using, and have been very pleased with it also.  I also mounted a $5 clearance ‘char-griller’ propane side burner on the left side.  Which doubles nicely as a side shelf when not in use.

Brushpopper:
I have my Blackstone griddle on a cart like that.  Makes it easy to move it around.  Can you show a pic of the char-griller on the side?  I need a shelf on the side of mine and that might be just the ticket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View