Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking Tomatoes for Salsa  (Read 363 times)

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Smoking Tomatoes for Salsa
« on: July 26, 2021, 02:20:42 PM »

That time of year in central Iowa to start making salsa. My Roma's are ripening pretty fast. The white onions are the size of tennis balls, the garden salsa peppers and green peppers are ready to be picked. I missed my cilantro seeding date so I will have to go out an buy some along with some garlic. I even grew the Dragon's Breath pepper this year.

I've been intrigued by seeing some video of people putting tomato halves on the their gassers and then going back some time later and picking the skins right off. Instead of blanching this year I'm thinking of either the gasser or the DB. The main thing is just trying to get rid of some of the water out of them. Anyone here done this before. It has to be easier than blanching them, plus I don't have to heat the house with the stove in this 94+ heat this week.

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Smoking Tomatoes for Salsa
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 02:54:15 PM »

It's been done with more than just tomatoes.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 06:54:58 PM »

Clonesmoker,

I'm curious as to how you will be using your Dragon's Breath peppers. Likely too hot to be used in salsa, but should make some great (nuclear) hot sauce.

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 10:45:26 PM »

I cut the tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds and juice.  Put them in the smoker or grill cut side down.  Well charred vegetables make a great Salsa Negra / salsa comal. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up