Recipe Section > Rubs/Sauces/Brines

Salt, Pepper, Garlic (SPG)

(1/4) > >>

pmillen:
What is the typical ratio of the three components?

I want to make my own and cut back on the salt.  So, I think that I'll start experimenting with half of the typical salt amount.

hughver:
I bought a SPG seasoning from Costco and I liked it. I'll check salt content and let you know.

Brushpopper:
I just wing it and go by how it looks on the meat.

pmillen:

--- Quote from: hughver on July 22, 2021, 10:41:13 AM ---I bought a SPG seasoning from Costco and I liked it. I'll check salt content and let you know.

--- End quote ---

We like most of the SPGs we buy, but they don't list the component ratios, just the ingredients in amount descending order.

Kristin Meredith:
I was just re-watching a you tube video by Brent Walton of QN4U where he was going through his basic rub.  I remember it as being a pretty good rub. I think Bent also thought it was a pretty good rub, but maybe he will post later.

Brent had several things that he added to his rub but said if all you had was salt and pepper, that would be a good rub.  His proportions were:  1 Tbs. salt, 1 Tbs. pepper, and 1 Tbs. garlic (he then also added onion powder, a bit of cayenne, chili powder, paprika, and brown sugar).  I have no clue whether that is a typical ratio or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View