Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dk117 on 22 Jul 2021
  • Got in last night after 9 days in Belize.  I got a little carried away taking pictures of their pits. 

• #2 by dk117 on 22 Jul 2021
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #3 by dk117 on 22 Jul 2021
  • we had some outstanding jerk chicken (and regular BBQ chicken.)  Lots of grilled lobster.  Smoked pork tacos and pork chops.

Belize is a third world country, it seems every one has lump charcoal pits.   What really impressed me was the quality of the food.  Not once disappointed.

DK
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 22 Jul 2021
  • Looks like you had a very nice vacation.   :clap:
  • #5 by Bentley on 22 Jul 2021
  • Was it more grill then smoke?
  • #6 by dk117 on 22 Jul 2021
  • Was it more grill then smoke?
    Yes, in every case except for the vertical smoker (which I have two pics above, but the orientation was wrong).  That vertical one was VERY smoky, the rest was as you say mostly a grill.

Great vacation, Belize speak English, and take US dollars.  Beautiful country.

DK
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 22 Jul 2021
  • Some nice cookers, some looking at the legs,unless the pictures misrepresent, I wonder how they support the weight. I like the simple concrete blocks over a fire one. I want to make something like that out back, if I can find the grate I want to use for it.  Proof that the cooker doesn't need to be elaborate to work or make good food.
  • #8 by pmillen on 22 Jul 2021
  • Proof that the cooker doesn't need to be elaborate to work or make good food.

I agree.  We proved that many times over when primitive camping while hunting mule deer in the North Dakota badlands.
  • #9 by Canadian John on 22 Jul 2021

•  WOW!  That's some good looking cooking equipment: simple, basic solid. No igniter, pellet jambing or controller problems.

Thanks for the pics.
  • #10 by Bentley on 22 Jul 2021
  • I remember years ago looking at horse riding vacations in the country.  A lot of beach riding!
  • #11 by jdmessner on 24 Jul 2021
  • Very nice pictures and what an experience it must have been. I like seeing different pits that people are able to create.

I once had a friend who served there while in the Peace Corps. He was able to go to some very remote areas and he really appreciated the beauty of the country and its people.
  • #12 by okie smokie on 24 Jul 2021
  • Was there about 10  years ago and very impressed.  Nice to visit a central american country where the official language is English. Thanks for the great pics.
  • #13 by Brushpopper on 24 Jul 2021
  • We went ashore there once when we were on a cruise.  I was expecting to speak Spanish to everyone and was very surprised when they spoke the Queen's English and the newspapers spelled everything in it too.  Then it dawned on me it used to be called British Honduras.  I don't remember the name of the two beers I drank, but they were plenty for the rest of the afternoon.  Good thing I wasn't piloting the ship.  :beer:
  • #14 by Bentley on 24 Jul 2021
  • In the 2nd photo, maybe I missed it.  What type of sauce?  And is the rice comparable to a Dirty rice?
  • #15 by dk117 on 25 Jul 2021
  • In the 2nd photo, maybe I missed it.  What type of sauce?  And is the rice comparable to a Dirty rice?
    The slaw was pretty mundane, a little sweet for my taste.  The beans and rice ... was served with nearly every dish.  Black beans (or red), rice cooked in coconut milk and seasoned.  I tasted a bit of lime in some, but certainly jerk seasonings too.  We had some for breakfast a few times, the one at Marva's in Belize City was the best.  If not for Google Maps, I don't think any of us would have found it or stepped foot inside, but the food was excellent.

Long and short of it, yeah I think you could call this dirty rice. 

The chicken itself, that too we had several times with different variations.    I made this attempt last night with Grace's Jerk seasoning and some sweet baby rays.  This is were I thought Belize really shined, it wasn't just jerk, it was jerk with BBQ sauce.

Pages:
Actions