Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice/recipes on making hot suace  (Read 1365 times)

1MoreFord

• Using less gas.
  • Central Arkansas
Re: Advice/recipes on making hot suace
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 10:09:49 PM »

While you're at it you ought to make a couple of bottles of pepper sauce for use on greens and peas.

Cut the tip and stem off each pod to let the vinegar go thru the pepper.  Fill your jars/bottles with peppers followed by vinegar.  Use distilled or ACV.  Let age for a week or two and you'll be good.

I'm talking about similar to the link below.

https://texaspete.com/shop/green-pepper-sauce/

That was and may still be big in MS.  I think I may still have a few bottles that are 20+ years old somewhere in our house.

Still is all across the South.  Any place that serves greens and peas will have a bottle of it on the table.  Typically made with cayennes or tabascos.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 10:13:08 PM by 1MoreFord »
Joe

Falcon Mk V gas grill, OK Joe Longhorn - gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef SG24, Weber 22" OTG

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 04:14:32 PM »

My first effort, just a simple basic sauce using the "Red Hots" from the garden (Scoville rating 30,000 to 50,000).

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Interested in try to make a basic sauce. May I ask how you did it? I've got a ton of green peppers, garden salsa peppers and four dragon's breath peppers, along with some mild jalapenos that I would try to concoct into a hot sauce.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 05:45:20 PM »

My first effort, just a simple basic sauce using the "Red Hots" from the garden (Scoville rating 30,000 to 50,000).

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Interested in try to make a basic sauce. May I ask how you did it? I've got a ton of green peppers, garden salsa peppers and four dragon's breath peppers, along with some mild jalapenos that I would try to concoct into a hot sauce.

Bar-B-Lew told me about some recipes to be found at chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/.  I just went with the absolute simplest one under the "How to Make Hot Sauce" section:

Ingredients:

1 pound fresh chili peppers of choice
½ – 1 cup vinegar
1/2-1 tablespoon salt

Cooking Directions:

Wash the peppers and remove the stems. Remove the seeds, if desired. Add them to a food processor along with the vinegar and salt and process until smooth.

Add the mixture to a pot and bring to a quick boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.

Remove from heat and cool. Add them to serving bottles, or strain out the pulp first for a much thinner sauce and bottle.

I left everything in when processing and just used a basic white vinegar.  Then, a couple of days ago, I bought and used a much more expensive bottle of white wine vinegar and the hot sauce had a sweeter taste. I also strained the sauce for a much thinner sauce. The article has so many styles and ways to make hot sauce -- you could experiment forever!!!

Clonesmoker

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 01:34:23 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Bar-B-Lew told me about some recipes to be found at chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/.  I just went with the absolute simplest one under the "How to Make Hot Sauce" section:

Ingredients:

1 pound fresh chili peppers of choice
½ – 1 cup vinegar
1/2-1 tablespoon salt

Cooking Directions:

Wash the peppers and remove the stems. Remove the seeds, if desired. Add them to a food processor along with the vinegar and salt and process until smooth.

Add the mixture to a pot and bring to a quick boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.

Remove from heat and cool. Add them to serving bottles, or strain out the pulp first for a much thinner sauce and bottle.

I left everything in when processing and just used a basic white vinegar.  Then, a couple of days ago, I bought and used a much more expensive bottle of white wine vinegar and the hot sauce had a sweeter taste. I also strained the sauce for a much thinner sauce. The article has so many styles and ways to make hot sauce -- you could experiment forever!!!

Awesome! Thanks so much!!

Clonesmoker

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2021, 01:01:01 PM »

My first attempt at hot sauce turned more into a thick sauce.  2lbs of a combo of  red"fooled you" jalapenos, red garden salsa peppers, a couple green hatch peppers, and one big orange Dragon's Breath pepper.  Broke out the Ninja blender for this batch. I also remembered to wear gloves this time this time around. :o 

I just doubled the recipe from the chilipeppermadness website. I used white wine vinegar and salt per the recipe. I tasted after I had it in the blender and it had a pretty predominate vinegar tasted. Let it slow boil for 15 minutes and simmer for another 10-15 minutes. I tasted after that and the flavor really changed. I was really pleased with the flavor. It seemed that I should have strained it, but let it cool and it had thicker consistency to it. Even with a Dragon's Breath pepper in it, it is not overpowering like I thought. I can put chips in it and eat it with no issues, even though when I took the cover off the aroma was quite warm. For me I like hot sauces and salsas that you can smell the heat but not really taste it for a couple of minutes after you eat it. I can also feel the tingle on the middle of my tongue afterwards to. I really like the color as it took the color of the DB pepper.

I am wondering what I did wrong as to not get it thin enough for a liquid/sauce.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2021, 01:36:47 PM »

It would have to be strained to remove the majority of the pulp if you want something like a Crystal, Pete's or Tabasco!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2021, 02:44:11 PM »

I don't think there can be a "wrong" way, just more of what are you looking for.  If thicker and chunkier, what you made seems perfect.  If you want something more like Tabasco, then you need to strain.  Just a matter of personal preference -- and maybe storage space!  Look real good to me.

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2021, 10:00:32 AM »

This thread and talking with a vendor at a recent festival inspired me to try and make a batch myself. I have a combination of habenaro, jalapeño, Serrano, and hot banana peppers. They are fermenting in a saltwater brine, and I plan to blend them with some apple cider vinegar in a week or two. Not exactly sure what I am doing, but I figure I can make adjustments as needed.

Day 1 in the brine
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2021, 02:59:04 PM »

Once brined, will it be purred and then strained? Will you use just the liquid extract...or does your taste in hot sauce go to the vinegar side like a Texas Pete's or Tabasco, or heavier on the pulp like a Cholula?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 11:41:12 AM »

Once brined, will it be purred and then strained? Will you use just the liquid extract...or does your taste in hot sauce go to the vinegar side like a Texas Pete's or Tabasco, or heavier on the pulp like a Cholula?

This is all new to me so I am going to wing it. One of the advantages of fermenting it is it gives me some time to form a game plan. I like a variety of hot sauces, so I'm am thinking I will try a few different things. I would like to strain some off and bottle the liquid extract. I will also probably add some vinegar to part of it. I'll definitely do something that that is heavier on the pulp. It is all good (I hope)!!

"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2021, 08:06:20 PM »

Picked up a small basket of habaneros at the farmers market. End of the crop she said. Going to dry some for powder and decided to try some hot sauce. never made hot sauce before. Found the video below on Pepper Geek youtube and it looked simple enough.

I used 5oz of habanero, 1 medium jalapeno and maybe 1/3 of a yellow bell. Had 8 oz of peppers altogether, discovered I only had red wine vinegar here so I used that. I did add a bit more of the vinegar at the end to thin it a bit.

Didn't turn out to bad, my first thought was maybe some peach in it, not kill your taste buds hot. Not a pretty color, but  oh well.

Nice thing is it only made a small amount, I ended up with maybe 10 oz in a condiment bottle.

https://youtu.be/a4t7mK09DDU

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up