Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mouse in Smoker!!!!  (Read 1369 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Mouse in Smoker!!!!
« on: July 26, 2021, 08:25:46 AM »

I opened up my GMG DB to clean and use since the 4th of July cookout.  There was a mouse in there.  I tried to kill it, but it got away.  I cleaned it extra good and done a hot burn off before using it again.  I also use a frogmat instead of the grate for my tri-tip.

What can I do to keep the mice out?  It escaped through the smoke stack.  I put a can on top of it and taped the cover tight around it.  I also put duct tape over the grease drain.  But this is a temporary setup.  I have had mouse poison out, but it has not been touched.  I cannot find the old fashion mouse traps.  Everything is the glue type for me to dispose of it humanly.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
FE PG 1000

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Mouse in Smoker!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 10:14:19 AM »

How fun! I had a mouse nest in a gas BBQ once, it made a really cozy place to live I guess. There's not much you can do but deter, poison, or trap them - if there's a 1/2 inch opening they can get inside.

I've also had them inside our outside HVAC units. One managed to arc itself across a 240V relay. That was a mess.

For what it's worth, one word of caution with the sticky traps - they attract birds, so it might be a good idea to put them where other creatures can't get to them. I found this out twice the hard way and both times were bad experiences for the bird and for us.
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »

I posted this problem on our old PH site.  The suggestions that worked–
  • Eliminate the food supply (bird feeder) that encourages mice to stay.
  • Shorten the cover that reached near the ground and allowed the mice to climb up.
  • Cover the grease drain with a stainless steel mesh.  (It came from a plumbing supply house.  It looks like a Brillo pad and I think it's intended to be a drain filter.)
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 11:02:19 AM »

Keeping them out with all holes and gaps larger than a mouse's head (approximately dime size) to be blocked will do it.  It may not be practical if

the pit is used frequently.

Years back, Traeger advised to "OPEN the LID" @ start-up. As I was curious as to why, I asked them. The response was in case of vermin,

so they can escape.

I have to side with Paul (above post). Excellent info!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:06:27 AM by Canadian John »

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 12:07:23 PM »

I looked at Walmart and they did not have any mouse traps before, but they do now.  I did find them at a local farm supply store.  I also got some moth balls to spread out under my deck.  I will check into getting some mesh for the grease drain and my smoke stack.  For the GMG DB this is the only places a mouse could get in.  Now the Traeger Junior is different.  It has two oval openings in the barrel itself for the smoke to get out plus the grease drain.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 01:10:28 PM »

I got my Victor traps at Home Depot.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 08:06:47 PM »

I have a trap called Nooski, it works nice, uses little castration bands to kill the mouse, bought it off amazon but look like they are not in stock.

I have also gotten some of these from a customer who works on the the fleet of the local Erlich branch. I bought mice with my house/garage. Can never get rid of them.
https://www.amazon.com/MeeQee-Effective-Sanitary-Mousetrap-Catcher/dp/B08XQFCBRJ/ref=sr_1_52_sspa?crid=1N001GHAMGL3Q&dchild=1&keywords=nooski&qid=1627343571&sprefix=nooski%2Clawngarden%2C168&sr=8-52-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFIWktGSEI2MkQ3MVUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwNzI3MzhOMjczR1lFSDlIRTQmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDk1NjA2NTJWWTZWTTFKSzkwVUkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9idGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

urnmor

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 10:00:17 PM »

I have you thought about putting a cat in there.  Just saying  :)

1MoreFord

• Using less gas.
  • Central Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 02:04:21 AM »

I have you thought about putting a cat in there.  Just saying  :)

Don't get a cat.  Get a professional exterminator aka rat terrier.
Joe

Falcon Mk V gas grill, OK Joe Longhorn - gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef SG24, Weber 22" OTG

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 06:54:17 AM »

No, to the cat.  I am allergic to them.  We do have a Yorkie, but she is not allowed out by herself.  She has always been wanting to get into my smoker's corner of the patio, but I keep it blocked off with dog fencing.  She would no doubt go after it, but if she got off the deck would she come back from chasing it.  Our house is surrounded by woods.  I just bought the adjoining lot to clear it off some.  Our two lots are like the entire inside field of a racetrack.  We see deer from every direction on most days.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 05:34:27 PM »

Victor traps and we use aerosol canned cheese. We rarely fail ( I don’t think) as we put it on the trigger top as well as the trigger locking mechanism and on the wood in very close proximity to the trigger. Relax, eat and BAM!

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 07:43:21 PM »

Victor traps and we use aerosol canned cheese. We rarely fail ( I don’t think) as we put it on the trigger top as well as the trigger locking mechanism and on the wood in very close proximity to the trigger. Relax, eat and BAM!

we seem to have good results with peanut butter. I will look for a can of cheese and try, if the mice don't eat it I will.

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 07:49:44 PM »

we seem to have good results with peanut butter. I will look for a can of cheese and try, if the mice don't eat it I will.

Found good results from marshmallows, tear a piece off, smear sticky side on trap trigger pad, set and place. Has to be well stuck to the pad.

A lot of critters have a ‘sweet tooth’… :bbq:
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 07:17:15 AM »

The Victor trap got a mouse last night using Velveeta cheese.  One down and more to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up