Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 28 Jul 2021
  • The GF has an aunt in Colleyville TX (Fort Worth area) the two of them feel we need to visit so that is what I am doing. Never flown and at 6 foot 350# not sure how comfortable a plane would be. Also I believe the furthest west I have been is Indiana a long time ago. Now they decided that with the things her aunt has going on that we should go in August, yes what is wrong with me, TX in August does not sound pleasant. xxxx it isn't pleasant in PA a lot of the time. So I have a car rented for 2 weeks and we are leaving on August 13 in the morning. I will drop a map link below to show my as of now driving route, which could change if I get some input from the fine folks here, and the Boss agrees to it.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ebensburg,+PA/Colleyville,+TX/@36.5545729,-92.4359367,6z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x89cb741ec4e136b1:0x9d3d37135bec27c1!2m2!1d-78.7247426!2d40.4850717!3m4!1m2!1d-81.3896197!2d38.6446998!3s0x8849225d3bba1799:0x21fc69ea72e4ad16!1m5!1m1!1s0x864dd5975a487631:0x2ba175c93a2ebb65!2m2!1d-97.155012!2d32.8809603!3e0

So any tips or things one should look at or see along the way, I am thinking we will be making one or two stops for over night stays each way and that will still give us 4 to 6 days with her family. Looking for suggestions on places to stay (Towns) eateries, sites. you name it I will consider it. I have never really done anything like this, always had a place to go for a reason, usually some sort of shooting competition, this will be a new experience and costly also as the cost of car rentals went from $1200 when they were first thinking of this to $2000 now for a mini van, I may be going the standard SUV route as it would be about $600 cheaper. It will only be 2 of us.

Only limitations really are I don't walk so pretty good anymore, no doubt should have taken better care of my self and not did stupid stuff in my younger days.

Looking forward to the suggestions as I am sure there are people that live close to my travel route that will have some great input, or at least I hope.

A big Thank You to those that choose to play along.

• #2 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Jul 2021
  • I see you are going through Memphis, so if you are an Elvis fan there is Graceland for touring.   If you are into history/political science, Little Rock is the home of the Clinton Library.  I have gone to various Presidential Libraries whether I supported the particular President or not and always found them interesting.

I don't know if you are willing to take an overnight trip while at Aunt's, but San Antonio is a beautiful city and there is the Alamo and the River Walk, including the boat tours of River Walk so not a lot of walking.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_River_Walk

Oh, forgot this -- since you are going through Nashville, if you again like history and/or historical homes,  the Hermitage (home and plantation of President Andrew Jackson) is there.  We visited a few years back and very interesting to get a glimpse of life in that time period.

One more thought, if you like Civil War Battlefields, you could turn due south on 55 at Memphis, down to Jackson, Miss, then turn on 20 to Vicksburg.  A huge battlefield and, of course, major turning point in the Civil War.  It is also a battlefield that was actually made to be driven instead of walked.  Then just continue on the 20 to your destination.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Jul 2021
  • I spent several days in Nashville back in late April so I know about a lot of musical history sites, museums, etc. and a bunch of breweries there.  The BBQ I had in the main strip area was not very good so I would not recommend it.

As for Memphis, I've spent many more days there and know more of the music history sites, museums, art museums, etc., and breweries after my last trip.  If you want BBQ, I would highly recommend Central BBQ.  They have several locations.  Corky's and Rendezsvous are the tourist trap places.  I would stay away from them.  I've had both over the last 5 years, and will not be going back.  I lived there from 1993-1997.  Memphis does have a very large Bass Pro Shops store that resides inside the Pyramid which is where Memphis St used to play basketball and where their arena football team used to play prior to the FedEx Arena being built for the NBA team.

Downside to both is that hotel rates are really expensive in their downtown areas and you need to be a little careful where you go once you are outside of those areas.

I do know of a few music history places in Eastern AR too - Helena, West Memphis, and in between - Johnny Cash's boyhood home, Albert King's grave, historical marker by the location where BB King named his guitar, Lucille.

If you LMK more of your interests, I can think of some other places possibly.  Those are the only two cities on your drive that I have any experience in traveling to or living there.

Hot Springs, AR is supposed to be really nice.  My wife went there back in April and used to go there once a year in the 90s with her Mother and her friends.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Jul 2021
  • Here are a few maps of things that I plotted from previous trips I have made down there.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #5 by Bentley on 28 Jul 2021
  • These 2 already made my suggestions!  If it was 1983, I could direct you to a Pizza Hut in North Little Rock that served the best pan pizza i have ever had.  Not even going by any places I know of where you could get good CFS.  Although in Texas, the odds are pretty high almost any place is going to be B+ or better!

When I was coming back from the Jack Daniels Championship in 2012, I had lunch with Papa Tom in the North Dallas area at a place called Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen.  I believe they are all over Dallas/Ft Worth(?) area.  They had a good crawfish etouffee!
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 28 Jul 2021
  • Okay as of now looking to stay in Elizabeth KY Friday night. then I have 12-13 hour drive to TX. so looking at maybe West Memphis, Brinkley or Little Rock AR Brinkley would put me about half way for another night stay. little over 6 hours by way of Nashville and Memphis, then little over 6 hours to destination. So I figure the KY to AR trip being 6 hours gives me time to look at some things.

And I will always have the return trip in case I miss something I wanted to see. Part of me wants to route the return trip up to St Louis, not sure how much time that would add on, I have not checked yet. I am one of those people that usually doesn't like to come back the same way I went. even when we take day trips around here, I make a right turn out of my driveway and coming home I am making right turn to get back in usually.

I can do some history and like music. i did see the Bass Pro in Memphis on the map. Thinking the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green may be a stop.
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 28 Jul 2021
  • Here are a few maps of things that I plotted from previous trips I have made down there.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Not sure what all of those little pins are but there are a lot of them.
  • #8 by egmont on 28 Jul 2021
  • Two of the better Nashville BBQ joints are Martin’s BBQ and Peg Leg BBQ with Martin’s being first choice.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Jul 2021
  • The little pins are places I had on my trip to stop.  A lot of them are historical markers related to music.  I did a 4 day trip to STL a few years ago over Memorial week so I have info on that if you decide you want to go there.  I ate BBQ at two places in STL that I thought was very good - Sugarfire and Salt and Smoke.  I think there is a place called Pappy's that I didn't get to make it to that is supposed to be very good too. They only make a limited amount every day and close when they are sold out.  Lots of Chuck Berry things in STL.

Most of the pins in MS were of MS Blues Trail Markers - http://msbluestrail.org/blues_marker_list.  I've been to all but the last 3 that were placed in late 2019 in the state of MS.  I still have a handful of one's to see outside of MS and in Europe.  One day I will get to those too.
  • #10 by BigDave83 on 29 Jul 2021
  • When she got home last night I kind of pinned her down on how this was going to work.

So probably try to leave 6 or 7AM on Friday the 13th about 8 hours to get to hotel in Elizabeth KY. Check in is after 3PM I believe so that will give us a little time to check out some things along the way. Then Saturday will be going for a 6 hour drive to Brinkley AR (about mid point to her aunts) so we will have time to see more things along the way to there.

She is excited to get to Nashville to look at music places, so a couple of them would be great. Depending on how it is going I may stop at the Corvette museum as I am still a motorhead, oddly enough I am also a fan of the band Motorhead. I am going to do some research on The Hermitage and see i it is something she would want to go to. I think I would enjoy seeing it.

The San Antonio trip sounds interesting also, not sure we will be able to work that in. But she is really wanting to move down close her aunt, so I am going to try to make that happen. I grew up in PA and have always liked it here, but a few years back health issues made my walking more unstable and harder, so Winter which I used to love now is a nightmare to get out and try to keep from falling on my behind, so a change may be good.

I really appreciate the suggestions and look forward to seeing some of these things, and hopefully some will chime in with some specific music spots or car stuff.   
  • #11 by Brushpopper on 29 Jul 2021
  • You are correct about it being hot in August here in Texas.  And it is usually humid too, so you can enjoy the both of them.  If you decide to come to San Antonio I can give you ideas of places to visit.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jul 2021
  • Brinkley, AR

Central Delta Depot
    Address:
    100 West Cypress Street
    Brinkley, AR 72021

Hours Open
    8:00 a.m. till 1 p.m.

Located in a restored 1912 Union Railroad Depot on the National Register of Historic Places, the museum contains exhibits honoring musician Louis Jordan, described by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as "the Father of Rhythm & Blues" and "the Grandfather of Rock 'n’ Roll." Jordan, a major 1930s blues/jazz star, was a Brinkley native. The displays include a bust of Jordan, photographs and a collection of his early 78 rpm records. It also focuses on the Louisiana Purchase survey of 1815 and on area railroads and other facets of local history. Serves as visitors' center for Brinkley and nearby Louisiana Purchase Historic State Park. Also located on the museum grounds is the 100 year old Arkansas Midland-MoPac depot from Monroe, AR and a furnished sharecropper house.

CENTRAL DELTA DEPOT – 100 WEST CYPRESS STREET, BRINKLEY – Phone 870.589.2124
    The Central Delta Depot Museum is housed in the Brinkley Union Train Station constructed in 1912 at the heart of the Lick Skillet Historic District. The museum displays a wide variety of exhibits interpreting the natural, social, agricultural, and cultural history of the Arkansas Delta. A permanent exhibit explores the life and career of noted jazz trumpeter and big band leader Louis Jordan, a Brinkley native.   

The Central Delta Depot Museum in Brinkley (Monroe County) is an initiative of the Central Delta Historical Society, which was organized in the 1990s to preserve the history and heritage of the central Delta area. The museum’s scope covers all of Monroe and parts of Woodruff, St. Francis, Prairie, Lee, Phillips, and Arkansas counties.
    Louise Mitchell, a Kingsland (Cleveland County) native who had taught at Brinkley High School, served as the first president of the Central Delta Historical Society and editor of its journal from 1997 to 2001. In 1999, she led a letter-writing campaign—directed to Union Pacific officials, President Bill Clinton, the area’s congressmen, and others—to save Brinkley’s Union Train Station from destruction so a museum could be established.
    Brinkley, located midway between Memphis, Tennessee, and Little Rock (Pulaski County), was ideally situated at the crossing of the Memphis and Little Rock Railroad (later the Rock Island)—the state’s first rail line (completed in 1871)—and the Texas and St. Louis Railroad (later the Cotton Belt), which was laid through the city in 1882. With two other rail lines coming in from the north and south, the city rapidly became a regional shipping center for cotton and timber products and a major point of transfer for rail passengers in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The brick train station originally opened on September 16, 1912, and was constructed at a cost of $25,000. Its wing design and size, with freight rooms at each end of the building, made it the most striking of the Rock Island stations between Memphis and Little Rock. Passenger service ceased on the Cotton Belt in 1959 and the Rock Island line in 1967. Because of the bankruptcy of the Rock Island, the train station was closed in 1980. Union Pacific took over operations of the Cotton Belt line and that part of the Rock Island between Memphis and Little Rock.
    In February 2001, Union Pacific deeded the station to the city of Brinkley, which later gave a long-term lease for it to the Central Delta Historical Society. The groundbreaking ceremony for the restoration of the depot was held May 4, 2001. Welch Construction Company of Benton (Saline County) had the general contract, and work was completed in 2003. The museum opened in May of that year.
    The Central Delta Depot Museum is a museum of general history, with an emphasis on the stories of the Rock Island and Cotton Belt rail lines that crossed at Brinkley. The museum gets some support from the city of Brinkley but otherwise depends on admission charges, donations, fundraisers, and grants to finance its operation.
    On the museum grounds is the approximately 100-year-old frame depot that at one time was located at Monroe (Monroe County) on the Missouri Pacific rail line that connected Brinkley to Helena (Phillips County). Still another rail line, the White and Black River Railroad (owned in later years by Rock Island), provided service from Brinkley to Jacksonport (Jackson County).
    Other features of the museum are the furnished tenant farm house and the Southern Pacific caboose built in the 1980s, one of seventy-five ordered by the company, the last purchase they made of that car. The museum also features photographs and exhibits on Brinkley native and blues musician Louis Jordan, as well as a collection of his early 78 r.p.m. records.
    The museum serves as the visitors’ center for the Louisiana Purchase Historic State Park, located just off Highway 49, about twenty miles south of Brinkley. The Choo Choo Ch’Boogie Delta Music Festival is held on the grounds of the museum each spring.

Central Delta Depot Museum and Visitor’s Center Brinkley was a major railroad center from the 1880s unto the 1960s. The Memphis and Little Rock Railroad (Arkansas’ first rail line) was laid through town in 1871 and in 1883 what became known as the Cotton Belt” rail line (St. Louis Southwestern Railway) arrived. In addition the Batesville and Brinkley Railroad (later known as the White and Black River Valley Railroad) appeared in about 1880, and also the Arkansas Midland/Missouri Pacific Railroad, connecting Brinkley to Helena. In the early days low-lying areas in eastern Arkansas and frequent flooding made movement by land of natural resources, merchandise and travelers a big problem. Steamboats operating on the White and St. Francis Rivers and smaller streams were the only solution, until the Memphis-Little Rock rail line was constructed, allowing rapid movement out of the region for timber by-products and cotton. Today museum visitors get a close-up view of the many Union Pacific freight trains that pass through town. The Central Delta Depot Museum, located in Brinkley’s Union Train Station, constructed in 1912, strives to tell the story of the region’s rail system and the settlement and development of the area through donated and loaned objects and photographs.

Louis Jordan Marker
    Address:
    100 West Cypress Street
    Brinkley, AR 72021

Marker honors Brinkley native Louis Jordan who studied music with his father and made his first professional appearance at Hot Springs Green Gables Club at age 15. During the 1930s Jordan worked with well-known bands from Philadelphia to New York and toured with Ella Fitzgerald. He was known as "The King of the Jukebox." He penned such favorites as "Choo Choo Boogie," "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby," "Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens," and "Saturday Night Fish Fry." Jordan also appeared in several movies that featured his music and toured Europe and Asia during the 1960s. listen to recordings of him playing the alto sax at the Central Delta Depot and Museum. A stop on the Arkansas Delta Music Trail: Sounds from the Soil and Soul.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jul 2021
  • AR

Albert King Gravesite
    Address:
    Minnis Dr. off Ark. 147
    Edmondson, AR 72332

Levon Helm Marker
    Address:
    U.S. 49
    Marvell, AR 72366

Levon Helm was born in 1940 near Elaine, Arkansas and grew up in Marvell and Turkey Scratch, west of Helena. Helm gained fame as a founding member of The Band, a group that fused blues, country, rockabilly and folk music to create a distinctly unique sound at a pivotal time in the development of American rock ‘n’ roll music. Another marker honors Helm at nearby Turkey Scratch, a stop on the Arkansas Delta Music Trail: Sounds from the Soil and Soul.

LEVON HELM  – AR HIGHWAY 243, TURKEY SCRATCH
    Levon Helm was born in 1940 near Elaine, Arkansas and grew up in Turkey Scratch, west of Helena.  Helm gained fame as a founding member of The Band, a group that fused blues, country, rockabilly and folk music to create a distinctly unique sound at a pivotal time in the development of American rock ‘n’ roll music. (Interpretive marker only)

Dreamland Ballroom
    Address:
    800 West Ninth Street
    Little Rock, AR 72216
    http://dreamlandballroom.org/

Located on the top floor of Taborian Hall, now Arkansas Flag and Banner; listed on the National Register of Historic Places; has played host to such musicians as Ray Charles, Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra, B. B. King, The Blues Boy, Lloyd Armon and Swingsters, Duke Ellington, Jimmy Witherspoon, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzie Gillespie, Nat “King” Cole and His Trio, and Arkansas natives Al Hibbler and Louis Jordan. Currently undergoing restoration. Special events held throughout the year. Group and individual tours available with prior notice.

Tours are schedule on a month-by-month basis. Typically, two Saturdays are chosen every month for tours from 1PM - 3PM. Check this page or our Facebook page for exact dates and times each month.
    Tours are 45 minutes - 1 Hour long and two will run back-to-back on the given tour date. Tours involve a walk around the Taborian Hall to show case the outside architecture and discuss the history of the halls tenants and businesses. Your visit then continues up the three floors to the Dreamland Ballroom. There is no elevator in the building. 
    Contact Us about setting up a private tour for yourself, a group, or organization if you can't make a prescheduled tour. 
    For a brief overview of Taborian Hall and Dreamland Ballroom's history visit our History page.
    For more information on renting the ballroom for a private party or non-profit event visit the Rentalspages.

Johnny Cash Home
    Address:
    110 Center Drive
    Dyess, AR 72330
    http://dyesscash.astate.edu/

Hours: Tours begin at 9 a.m. with last tours of the day at 3 p.m.,  Mondays through Saturdays

Ray Cash brought his family to Dyess in 1935 when President Roosevelt's administration created Dyess Colony in Mississippi County, a space for farming families and an experiment in American socialism. With no money down, the Cash family was given 20 acres of fertile bottomland and a five-room house in which to live. The house was seen in the motion picture "I Walk the Line." Now owned by Arkansas State University, the house has been restored. The restored admin building contains exhibits related to the establishment of the colony, lifestyles of typical colonists, and the impact that growing up in Dyess had on Johnny Cash and his music. Come visit the home of Johnny Cash and see the restoration efforts that have preserved this unique American farming community and the childhood of an American music icon.

MISSISSIPPI COUNTY ROAD 924 WEST, DYESS
    When Ray and Carrie Cash moved to Dyess seeking opportunity during the New Deal, this house where Johnny and his siblings grew up was the family’s first new home.  Much of the famous singer and songwriter’s inspiration came directly from the fields and his upbringing here in Dyess Colony.  Johnny Cash was one of America’s most influential musicians with a career that spread across gospel, country and western, rockabilly and rock ‘n’ roll genres and earned him induction into the Country Music, Rock and Roll, Songwriters, Rockabilly, and Arkansas Entertainers Halls of Fame. (Interpretive marker only)

• #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jul 2021
  • Nashville

166 2nd Ave N - Christmas Day 2020 explosion - some sites may have significant damage
    Charlie Daniels Museum - 110 2nd Ave N CLOSED
    George Jones Museum - https://georgejones.com/museum/ - 128 2nd Ave N TEMP CLOSED - Open Daily from 10am-8pm - $17
    BB King's Blues Club - 152 2nd Ave N - Sun-Mon 11am-12am, Fri-Sat 11am-2am - https://www.bbkings.com/nashville/ TEMP CLOSED
    Gibson Tribute Guitar Wall Mural - 213 3rd Ave N (across Printer's Alley from Skulls - 222 Printers Alley) COVERED UP
    Printer's Alley - https://www.nashvilledowntown.com/go/printers-alley  - right behind Courtyard Marriott hotel
    Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar - 220 Printers Alley - Mon-Thu 11am-1:30am, Fri-Sun 11am-3am - https://www.bourbonstreetbluesandboogiebar.com/
    Hard Rock Café Nashville - 100 Broadway - Sun-Thu 10:30am-12am, Fri-Sat 10:30am-1am
       - https://www.hardrockcafe.com/location/nashville/#utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Yext&utm_campaign=Listings
    Visitors Center and Music City Marketplace - 150 4th Ave N
    Chet Atkins Statue - Phillips Plaza - 254-268 5th Ave N (corner of 5th and Union)
    Gibson Guitar Gallery - 318 Broadway
    Legends Mural on Lower Broadway - 428 Broadway (Legends Corner)
    Birth of Bluegrass Marker - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=24069 - Ryman Auditorium - 116 5th Ave N
    Captain Thomas Ryman Statue - 116 5th Ave N
    Little Jimmy Dickens Statue - Ryman Auditorium - 116 5th Ave N on 4th Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=117816
    Bill Monroe Statue - Ryman Auditorium - 116 5th Ave N
    Roy Acuff and Minnie Pearl Statue - Ryman Auditorium - 116 5th Ave N
    Ryman Alley - https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/ryman-alley - https://www.nashvilledowntown.com/go/ryman-alley
    Ryman Auditorium - daytime self guided tours are open
       -  https://ryman.com/?utm_campaign=ryman&utm_medium=organicsearch&utm_source=googlemybusiness&utm_audience=tofu_googlemybusiness&utm_content=brandstory_google_my_business_website_link

Johnny Cash Museum - https://www.johnnycashmuseum.com/  - 119 3rd Ave S - Open Daily from 9am-7pm - $20.95 + tax with $1 AAA discount
    Patsy Cline Museum - https://www.patsymuseum.com/  - 119 3rd Ave S - Open Daily from 9am-7pm - $18.95 + tax with $1 AAA discount
    Ernest Tubb Record Shop and Statue - 417 Broadway - CLOSED Mon-Wed, Thur 10-8 - https://ernesttubb.com/
    Nashville Visitor Center - https://www.visitmusiccity.com/plan-a-trip/travel-resources/visitor-centers
       - 501 Broadway (5th Ave S & Broadway inside glass tower at Bridgestone Arena)
       - Mon-Sat 8am-5:30pm, Sunday 10am-5pm
    Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame - http://tshf.net/ - 501 Broadway - Tuesday-Sunday 10am-4pm, Closed Monday - $3
    National Museum of African American Music - 510 Broadway - https://nmaam.org/ - Thur-Sun 11-5:30
    Music City Walk of Fame & Nashville Music Garden - https://www.visitmusiccity.com/walkoffame/
       • 121 4th Ave S
       • Johnny Cash
       • Steve Cropper
       • Charlie Daniels
       • Jimi Hendrix
       • Kid Rock
       • Little Richard
       • Sam Moore
       • Roy Orbison
       • Les Paul
       • Elvis Presley
       • Hank Williams Sr
    Johnny Cash Mural - 300 4th Ave S
    The Hatch Experience - https://hatchshowprint.com/ - 225 5th Ave S - Open Daily from 10:30-4:30 CLOSED TUESDAYS
    Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum - https://countrymusichalloffame.org/ - 222 5th Ave S - Open Daily from 9am-5pm
    Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame - http://www.nashvillesongwritersfoundation.com/Site/ - 201 5th Ave S
    Kid Rock's Big xxx Honky Tonk Rock n Roll Steakhouse - 221 Broadway - https://www.kidrockshonkytonkandsteakhouse.com/menu
    Johnny Cash's Kitchen & Saloon - 121 3rd Ave S - http://www.cashkitchenandsaloon.com/
    Sun Records Diner - 105 3rd Ave S (Elvis Related) - https://sundinernashville.com/
    • MSCMM Nashville Marker on Music Row - http://www.mscountrymusictrail.org/markers/nashville
       • 1111 16th Ave South and Edgehill Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=160771
       • http://www.mscountrymusictrail.org/pdfs/nashville.pdf
       • In front of Big Loud building
    • Warner Chappell Production Music - 1030 16th Ave S
    • Elvis Presley's Recording Room - 1611 Roy Acuff Place
    • Historic RCA Studio B and Historic Marker - 1611 Roy Acuff Place
    • Elvis Heartbreak Hotel Guitar - 1611 Roy Acuff Place
    • Owen Bradley Statue - Music Square East off circle at Demonbreun and Division Streets
    • Owen Bradley's Quonset Hut and Historic Marker - 34 Music Square East
    • Bradley Studios - 34 Music East Square - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=59523 - Columbia Studio A
    • Screaming Monkey Music - 30 Music Square West
    • Carnival Music and Dueling Cowboys Mural - 24 Music Square West
    • Warner Music Nashville - 20 Music Square East
    • Spence Manor - 11 Music Square East
    • BMI Building and Historic Marker - 10 Music Square East
    • Sony/ATV Music Publishing Inc - 8 Music Square West
    • ASCAP - 2 Music Square West
    • Owen Bradley Park and Statue - 1 Music Square East
    • Music Row - 1 Music Square E - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=147532
    • Musica Statue - Roundabout Plaza - 1600 Division St
    • TailGate Brewery Music Row - 1538 Demonbreun St
    • McGavock Street Studios RCA Victor - 1525 McGavock St
    • Welcome to Nashville Guitar Mural - 1504 Demonbreun St
    • Giant Microphone Statue - Demonbreun St and Music Row (Music Row)
    • Nashville's Music Row - 16th Ave South, Nashville multiple addresses (1225, 1227, 1301, 1303, 1305, 1308) - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=147548
    • The Rock Block - 2208 Elliston Place, Nashville - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=158328
    • Hattie B's Hot Chicken - Midtown - 112 19th Ave S - https://hattieb.com/ - M-F 11am-10pm

Northwest of Nashville:
    Charlie Cushman - 325 Commerce St, Clarksville, TN - https://www.visitclarksvilletn.com/articles/post/clarksville-unveils-two-tn-music-pathways-markers/
    The Roxy - 100 Frankin St, Clarksville, TN - https://www.visitclarksvilletn.com/articles/post/clarksville-unveils-two-tn-music-pathways-markers/

North of Nashville:
    Patsy Cline's Dream House - 815 Nella Dr, Goodlettsville, TN 37072 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=146002
    Odom's Tennessee Pride Sausage, Inc - 1145 Neelys Bend Rd, Madison, TN 37115 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=147698
    Earl Eugene Scruggs - 1400 TN-6 (Gallatin Pike South US-31E 1.3 miles north of Briley Parkway (TN-155), Madison, TN 37115 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=163420 (near Odom's TN Pride Sausage Marker)
    Odom's Tennessee Pride Country Sausage - 1391 Gallatin Pike South, Madison, TN 37115 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=163417
    Smith-Carter House - 1100 Gibson Dr, Madison, TN 37115 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=147478

Northeast of Nashville:
    Randy's Record Shop - 118-130 North Water Ave south of West Franklin Gallatin, TN 37066 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=68441
    Home of Johnny Cash - 700 Johnny Cash Parkway, Hendersonville, TN 37078 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=154959
    Restoring the Orchard - 185 Caudill Dr, Hendersonville, TN 37075 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=151864
    The Cash Home - 198 Caudill Drive, Hendersonville, TN 37075 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=151865
    The Orchard - 185 Caudill Dr, Hendersonville, TN 37075 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=151862
    Johnny Cash Marker graves (Hendersonville) - 353 E Main St, Hendersonville, TN 37075 - https://visitsumnertn.com/explore-johnny-cash/
    William Owen Bradley - 990 TN-52W, Westmoreland, TN 37186 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=151857

East of Nashville:
    Charlie Daniels - 1075 Charlie Daniels Parkway, Mount Juliet, TN 37122 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=154960
    DeFord Bailey - Carthage Highway E of Old Rome Pike, Lebanon, TN 37087 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=151560

South of Nashville:
    WSM Broadcasting Transmitter & Antenna - 8056 Concord Rd Brentwood, TN 37027 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=145744
    Sam and Kirk McGee - 6670 Cool Springs Rd, Thompsons Station, TN 37179 (Peytonsville, TN)

Southeast of Nashville (35-40 miles towards Chattanooga):
    "Uncle Dave" Macon - 5066 Woodbury Pike, Murfreesboro, TN 37127 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=146750
    Uncle Dave Macon - 312 S Front St, Murfreesboro, TN 37129 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=90691
    Chris Young - 319 Friendship St, Murfreesboro, TN 37132 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=166467 in front of Chris Young Café on the Middle Tennessee State University Campus includes a mural on the wall
    Middle Tennessee Center for Popular Music (Murfreesboro) - Bragg Media and Entertainment Building, 1301 E Main St, #140, Murfreesboro, TN
    Charles Faulkner Bryan - 112 S Court Square - McMinnville, TN 37110 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=83052
    Uncle Dave Macon - E Court Square - McMinnville, TN 37110 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=37592

West of Nashville:
    Loretta Lynn's Ranch - 8000 TN-13, Hurricane Mills, TN 37078
    Patsy Cline Plane Crash Memorial (Camden) - West of Nashville - 2082 Mt Carmel Rd, Camden, TN

Southwest of Nashville:
    James D Vaughan Museum (Father of Southern Gospel) (Lawrenceburg) - 31 Public Square, Lawrenceburg, TN
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jul 2021
  • Memphis

West Tennessee Delta Heritage Center - 121 Sunny Hill Cove, Brownsville, TN (Exit 56 off I-40)
    Monday to Saturday 9am-5pm. Sunday 1pm-5pm
       - Sleepy John Estes Home
       - Tina Turner Museum (schoolhouse)
       - West Tennessee Music Museum
       - ~70 miles each way
    Barretville - Bobby Blue Bland Historic Marker
    Arrive at Westin Hotel after 5pm
    Go to Memphis Rock n Soul Museum to check on Backstage Pass Tour Tickets and Sun Studio Shuttle due to uncertainty of bus to Stax Museum and using tickets on the same day
    Check Sunday and Tuesday list of sites
    Check Beale St music schedules
    Hard Rock Café pictures of interior and beers
    Beale St dinner, drinks, maybe music

Tennessee Welcome Center - 119 Riverside Drive
    Peabody Hotel - 149 Union
    First Recording Studio - 50 Peabody Place
    George Hunt Blues Mural (The Sound of Memphis) - 3rd at Peabody Place
    BB King Boulevard Third St
    Memphis Blues Trail Marker Third and Gayoso
    MS Blues Trail Marker in front of FedEx Arena
    Orpheum Theater and Sidewalk of Stars
    Blues Hall of Fame - 421 S Main
    D'Edge Gallery / George Hunt Studio - 550 S Main St
    Center for Southern Folklore - 119 S Main
    Memphis Music Hall of Fame - 126 S 2nd
    Beale St Brass Notes Walk of Fame
    Statue of Elvis - 115 Beale St
    WC Handy Park and Statue
    Handy House - 352 Beale St opens at 11am-4pm
    Furry Lewis home at 4th and MLK
    Gibson Guitar Factory Tour - 145 Lt George W Lee
    Bobby Bland Statue - MLK & Main
    Beale Street Historic Markers 1-6
    Little Milton Statue - S Main near Huling Ave
    Ernestine & Hazel's -  S Main & GE Patterson
    Memphis Poetry Panels - S Main south of Ernestine
    Aretha Franklin's Birthplace Home picture - 406 Lucy Avenue
    Royal Studios picture - 1320 Willie Mitchell Boulevard
    Memphis Slim Collaboratory picture - 1130 College Avenue
    Could do Stax Museum here depending on story from tickets/shuttle if so leave to be here for 10am
    Johnny Cash 2nd Memphis Home picture - 5676 Walnut Grove
    Elvis Home on Audubon picture - 1034 Audubon Drive
    Dixon Gallery opens 10am - 4339 Park Avenue
    Brooks Museum opens 10am - 1934 Poplar Avenue
    Levitt Shell - Elvis first rock and roll concert
    Johnny Cash Tutwiler Home picture - 2553 Tutwiler Avenue
    Crosstown Brewing depending on time opens noon - 1264 Concourse Avenue
    Central BBQ depending on time - 2249 Central Avenue
    Wiseacre Brewing depending on time opens 1pm - 2783 Broad Avenue
    Shangri La Records - 1916 Madison Avenue
    Ardent Studio picture - 2000 Madison Avenue
    Peabody Hotel - 149 Union
    First Recording Studio - 50 Peabody Place
    George Hunt Blues Mural - 3rd at Peabody Place
    BB King Boulevard Third St
    Memphis Blues Trail Marker Third and Gayoso
    MS Blues Trail Marker in front of FedEx Arena
    Orpheum Theater and Sidewalk of Stars
    Blues Hall of Fame - 421 S Main
    D'Edge Gallery / George Hunt Studio - 550 S Main St
    Center for Southern Folklore - 119 S Main
    Memphis Music Hall of Fame - 126 S 2nd
    Memphis Rock and Soul Museum
    Sun Studio
    Elvis Experience Tour
    Beale St Brass Notes Walk of Fame
    Statue of Elvis - 115 Beale St
    WC Handy Park and Statue
    Handy House - 352 Beale St opens at 11am-4pm
    Furry Lewis home at 4th and MLK
    Gibson Guitar Factory Tour - 145 Lt George W Lee

Driving Tour:
    Elvis teenage home - 185 Winchester Ave #328
    Poplar Tunes picture - 308 Poplar Avenue
    American Sound Studio picture of historic marker - 827 Thomas St
    Jerry Lee Lewis
       - 4908 East Shore Drive - cousin's home
       - 4752 Dianne Drive - 1st Memphis Home
       - 1595 Malone Rd, Nesbit, MS - current home and ranch
    Stax Museum - 926 E McLemore Ave 10am-5pm if don't make earlier in the week

Beale Street Area and Related Historic Markers:
    Cobblestones - 35 Union Ave (and Wagner St) - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=148901
    Schools for Freedmen - S Main St and Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=82858
    The Lee Sisters - S Main and Gayoso - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=129505
    Union Ave - 82 S Main St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=151241
    Farnsworth Building - 88 Union Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=148904
    Barboro Grocery - 99 S Main St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=148962
    Lansky Brothers - 126 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=63367
    Pee Wee Saloon - 126 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=9302
    Hooks Brothers Photography - 163 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=32512
    The Grand Opera House / The New Orpheum Theatre - 203 S Main St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=148900
    Danny Thomas - 182 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=154265
    The Blues Trail from Mississippi to Memphis - 191 Beale St (3rd and Lt George W Lee Ave) - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=82863
    Nat D Williams - 310 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=13748
    Rufus Thomas, Jr - 310 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=9303
    Ida B. Wells - 310 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=9306
    Benjamin Franklin Booth - Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=162725
    George Jackson - 323 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=162727
    The Gillis Brothers - 330 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=147558
    Chop Suey Café / Chinese Merchants on Beale Street - 352 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=147552
    Memphis Home of WC Handy - 352 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=3240
    Beale Street Baptist Church - 379 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=148899
    Solvent Savings Bank - 386 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=48758
    Phi Beta Sigma / Abram Langston Taylor - 418 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=63343
    George W Lee - 512 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=55501
    Beale Street #1 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=107601
    Beale Street #2 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=108221
    Beale Street #3 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=107598
    Beale Street #4 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=107596
    Beale Street #9 -
    Beale Street #10 -
    Beale Street Historic District - walkway between Beale St and Lt George Lee Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=47904
    Cobblestone Landing - Riverside Drive in Jefferson Davis Park - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=88262
    Civil War in Tennessee - Riverside Dr and Jefferson Ave (Tennessee Welcome Center) - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=55313
    Memphis, TN / Mud Island - Riverside Dr Mud Island Mississippi Riverwalk - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=115006
    First Baptist Church, Lauderdale - 682 S Lauderdale - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=89009
    First Baptist Church - 200 East Parkway North (near Poplar Ave US-72) - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=86577
    Second Presbyterian Church - 4055 Poplar Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=63365
    Edward Shaw - 775 Walker Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=121433
    Robert R Church - 978 Walker Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=140747
    Ernest C Withers House - 480 W Brooks Rd - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=114545
    Lemoyne Owen College - 1041 Louisa St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=147547
    Robert Karriem - 726 E McLemore Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=149016
    The Lynching of Ell Persons - 5404 Summer Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=103638
    The Lynching of Ell Persons - 5484 Summer Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=105947

1. Midtown (Poplar Ave area) and Central Gardens (Central Ave)
          a. Brooks Museum - 1934 Poplar Avenue - Fri 11-4, Sat 10-5, Sun  11-5 - https://www.brooksmuseum.org/
          b. Wiseacre Brewing - 2783 Broad Avenue - Fri 1-10, Sat 1-10, Sun 1-6 - https://wiseacrebrew.com/
             i. Gotta Get Up To Get Down - Coffee Milk Stout
             ii. Memphis Sands - Lager
             iii. Neon Brown - American Brown Ale
             iv. Starless - Schwarzbier
             v. Quiet Man - Stout - Irish Dry
          c. Shangri-La Records - 1916 Madison Avenue - Fri-Sat 11am-6pm, Sun Closed
          d. Huey's - 1927 Madison Ave - Fri-Sun 11-11:30pm - https://hueyburger.com/
          e. Overton Square - Madison Ave and Cooper - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=116680
          f. Central BBQ - 2249 Central Ave - Fri-Sat 11-9, Sun 11-8 - https://eatcbq.com/
          g. Zippin Pippin / Libertyland (Elvis) - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=106354 - 946 East Parkway S
          h. Johnny Cash statue at site of first performance - 999 S Cooper - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=163943
          i. Goner Records - 2152 Young Avenue - Sun 1pm-5pm, Mon-Sat 12pm-7pm - appt only as of 3/13 901-722-0095
          j. Memphis Made Brewing - 768 Cooper Street - Fri 4-10, Sat 1-10, Sun 1-7 - https://www.memphismadebrewing.com/
             i. Fireside
             ii. Red Handed
             iii. Drew's Day Off
             iv. Orange Drewlius
             v. Memphis As Truck
             vi. The Judge
          k. Robert Johnson Mural - 1578 US-78 (Lamar and Willette across from Valero)
          l. Taliesyn Ballroom, 1447 Union Avenue.
          m. Antenna Club Historic Marker - 1588 Madison Ave (Currently the Renaissance) - 19 S Willet St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=147605
          n. Russwood Park Marker (Elvis) - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=116293 - 910 Madison Ave
          o. High Cotton Brewing - 598 Monroe Avenue - Fri 4-9, Sat 12-10, Sun 12-8 - http://highcottonbrewing.com/
             i. Scottish Ale
             ii. Mexican Lager
             iii. Porter
             iv. Belgian Golden Ale
       2. East Memphis
          a. Dixon Gallery - 4339 Park Avenue - Fri-Sat 10-5, Sun 1-5 - https://www.dixon.org/
          b. SKIP Memorial Park Cemetery gravesites - https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/15595/famous-memorials
             i. Bobby Blue Bland
             ii. Ronnie Caldwell
             iii. Donald Duck Dunn
             iv. Larry Finch
             v. Marshall Grant
             vi. Jimmy Arthur Griffin
             vii. William E Justis Jr
             viii. Shawn Lane
             ix. Charlie Lea
             x. Andrew Love
             xi. Clyde Lee McCoy
             xii. Sam Cornelius Phillips
             xiii. Charlie Rich
       3. South Memphis
          a. Stax Museum - 926 E McLemore Ave - Fri-Sun 10-5 - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=116284
          b. Robert Karriem - 726 E McLemore Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=149016
          c. Memphis Minnie's House - 1355 Adelaide St
          d. Jerry Lee Lewis - 4908 East Shore Drive - cousin's home
          e. Jerry Lee Lewis - 4752 Dianne Drive - 1st Memphis Home
          f. SKIP New Park Cemetery gravesites - https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/16314/famous-memorials?page=1#sr-6972800
             i. Johnny Ace
             ii. James Carr
             iii. Carl Lee Cunningham
             iv. Al Jackson Jr
             v. Phalon Jones
             vi. Jimmy King
             vii. Terdell Middleton
             viii. Lewis Steinberg
             ix. Rufus Thomas Jr
             x. Bukka White
          g. Graceland - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=138 - 3764 Elvis Presley Blvd
          h. Elvis TN State Marker - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=9509 - 3764 Elvis Presley Blvd
          i. Ernest C Withers House - 480 W Brooks Rd, Memphis, TN - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=114545
          j. SKIP Hollywood Cemetery gravesites - https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/13519/hollywood-cemetery - Walter Furry Lewis
       4. Downtown
          a. Robert Johnson Home Related:
             i. 291 E Georgia Ave - home of sister Carrie
             ii. Rear of 285 E Georgia Ave - home of his stepfather
             iii. 728 Hernando St - home of his sister Carrie
             iv. 337 St Paul Ave - home of his sister Carrie
          b. BB King's - 143 Beale St - Fri-Sun 11-10 - https://bbkings.com/memphis/
          c. King’s Palace Café – upstairs is location of Robert Johnson photograph - 162 Beale St
          d. Danny Thomas - 182 Beale St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=154265
          e. Dyer's Burgers - 205 Beale St - 11-Midnight - http://www.dyersonbeale.com/
          f. Palace Theater state historic marker - 324 Beale St
          g. Old Daisy Theater - 327,329-331 Beale St
          h. New Daisy Theater - 330 Beale St
          i. Monarch Club - 340 Beale St
          j. Handy House - 352 Beale St opens at 11am-4pm
          k. Solvent Savings Bank - 386 Beale St - WC Handy's music studio was on 2nd floor - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=48758
          l. Church Park Auditorium Marker - 391 Beale - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=107386Original
          m. Church’s Park - Beale and 4th St - 412 Beale - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=82845
          n. First Black Radio Station Marker - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=116723 -112 Union Ave
          o. Piggly Wiggly site - 75 Jefferson Ave - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=88646
          p. Start of Casey Jones’s final ride - Front St and Poplar St - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=6862
          q. The Cotton Museum - 65 Union Ave, Memphis, TN - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=116725
             i. https://memphiscottonmuseum.org/ - closed as of 3/13
          r. John Grisham - 65 Union Ave, Memphis, TN - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=116357
          s. The Hole in the Wall - 150 Monroe Ave, Memphis, TN - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=148960 - Bon Ton Cafe
          t. D'Edge Gallery / George Hunt Studio - 550 S Main St - https://georgehuntart.com/
          u. Center for Southern Folklore - 119 S Main - Fri 11-6, Sat 2-11, Sun Closed - https://www.southernfolklore.com/
          v. Central BBQ - 147 E Butler Ave - 11-8pm - https://eatcbq.com/
          w. Huey's 77 S 2nd St - Fri/Sat 11-11, Sun 11-10 - https://hueyburger.com/
          x. Flying Saucer Draught Emporium - 130 Peabody Place Fri/Sat 11-Midnight, Sun 11-11 - http://www.beerknurd.com/locations/memphis-flying-saucer
          y. Wiseacre Brewing - 398 S BB King Blvd - Fri 1-10, Sat 1-10, Sun 1-6 - https://wiseacrebrew.com/
             i. Gotta Get Up To Get Down - Coffee Milk Stout
             ii. Memphis Sands - Lager
             iii. Neon Brown - American Brown Ale
             iv. Starless - Schwarzbier
             v. Quiet Man - Stout - Irish Dry
       5. Uptown
          a. Mallory-Neely House - 652 Adams Ave - https://www.memphismuseums.org/historic-houses/about/mallory-neely-house/
          b. Poplar Tunes Historical Marker -  https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=87025 - 306-308 Poplar Ave - Poplar Ave and North Lauderdale St
          c. Humes High School Alma Mater of Elvis Presley - 659 N Manassas St, Memphis, TN - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=148624
          d. Isaac Hayes Historical Marker -  - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=87970 - 1111 N Manassas St
          e. Plastic Products Record Plant Hub of Rock N Roll - 1746 Chelsea Ave, Memphis, TN - https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=149041
          f. Crosstown Brewing - 1264 Concourse Avenue - Fri/Sat 12-10, Sun 12-8 - https://crosstownbeer.com/
             i. Sedeci Coffee Stout
             ii. Double Bird Imperial Coconut Donut Stout
             iii. Crosstown Brown Ale
             iv. Solstice Stout
             v. Siren Blonde Ale
             vi. Dog Days Pink Lemonade Shandy
          g. Hernando de Soto bridge - I-40W
Pages:
Actions