Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by reubenray on 31 Aug 2021
  • Nothing yet.  Don't want to order anything till we are ready to eat it.  I also thought I might use Costco beef as a control (so that recent post was a bummer).  I realize that not everyone shops there, but I think it might be good to have a cut of each as a comparison.

Will start with Omaha, will probably be disappointed, but better to go in with that attitude then one of Pink Cloud mentality!  Then move on the SRF, then some of the other suggestions till my bank account dries up!

Want it to cool down significantly here before I want to cook outside or even eat hot beef dinners.  Probably looking at 2-4 weeks before I do anything!

What did you end up doing?

I understand that about the prices and heat.  I have not bought anything since I got the Sam's Club prime ribeye's for $18/lb.  They had SRF ribeye's and they wanted $32/lb for them.  The price for pork was also a lot more. 

I may have to start eating choice grade steaks.  I just bought two filet mignon's from a local market to try them out.
  • #47 by Bentley on 05 Oct 2021
  • I appreciate everyone's patience.  We are going on a trip to Texas in a couple of weeks, when we return I will place the 1st order.  I am not sure many folks will ever order Omaha Steaks, but I am now so committed to seeing if they are as bad as I think they are, there is no turning back!  So we will hopefully get this going about the 3rd week of October!
  • #48 by ofelles on 05 Oct 2021
  • Really Omaha ???!?!  Have you talked to your sponsor lately?  8)
  • #49 by Bentley on 05 Oct 2021
  • I wanna see if they are as low quality as I have been led to believe.  The thing they have going for them is I have a very low expectation, not good to have any bias, but this is reality.  So I will be curious as to how they stack up.  I am going to buy some more Costco beef and use it as a benchmark.  I am going to assume the beef from Costco will be about an 8 on my scale.  So we will judge the other beef we try on that scale.
  • #50 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Oct 2021
  • I would say Omaha is low value versus low quality.  I just found them very expensive for the level of quality that they are.
  • #51 by ZCZ on 09 Oct 2021
  • Signing up to watch this one. Should be fun.
    Al
  • #52 by Trooper on 10 Oct 2021
  • I'm following too.

But most of the previous comments from members have probably influenced your upcoming judging. AYE?

Perhaps many of those making comments previously don't really know have any experience in separating  ----- from Shinola. Aw never mind!
  • #53 by Trooper on 10 Oct 2021
  • OK, let me reclarify some thoughts before members think that I'm a bit too caustic.

The most important hunk of meat for me is the beef tenderloin/filet mignon. I enjoy it for it's tenderness and lack of connective tissues. There are other cuts of meat that are more flavorful, as you are dealing with fat and connective tissues, which add much to the flavoring.
    But I don't see any differences in a prime cut of beef tenderloin vs. a choice cut. How would they be graded? By the fat content. And the beef tenderloin cut is a hunk of seldom used muscle. without a significance amount of fat.
    Perhaps someone could further explain the grading steps involved in the process of Choice vs. Prime, but I say there wont be any significance in tenderness and flavor once it's on the platter.
  • #54 by pmillen on 10 Oct 2021
  • The most important hunk of meat for me is the beef tenderloin/filet mignon. I enjoy it for it's tenderness and lack of connective tissues. There are other cuts of meat that are more flavorful, as you are dealing with fat and connective tissues, which add much to the flavoring.
    But I don't see any differences in a prime cut of beef tenderloin vs. a choice cut. How would they be graded? By the fat content. And the beef tenderloin cut is a hunk of seldom used muscle. without a significance amount of fat.
    Perhaps someone could further explain the grading steps involved in the process of Choice vs. Prime, but I say there wont be any significance in tenderness and flavor once it's on the platter.

I think you are correct.

Unfortunately, when the beef grader grades a side of beef hanging in the cooler, it's done by examining only the prime rib marbling.  They always cut between the same two ribs, I think 7 and 8, and the grade covers the entirety of both carcass halves.  How this grading carries over to cuts without intramuscular fat, like the tenderloin, will fuel a three-hour discussion.

Butchers and slaughterhouses have long recognized that grade-labeling organ meat and other portions (tails, shanks, neckbones, flank steak...) don't provide a profit increase.  However, the average consumer would assign a premium to a prime tenderloin over a choice or select.  So, if the consumer is happy to pay more for a prime tenderloin, the retailer is happy to collect it.
  • #55 by reubenray on 10 Oct 2021
  • OK, let me reclarify some thoughts before members think that I'm a bit too caustic.

The most important hunk of meat for me is the beef tenderloin/filet mignon. I enjoy it for it's tenderness and lack of connective tissues. There are other cuts of meat that are more flavorful, as you are dealing with fat and connective tissues, which add much to the flavoring.

I never did a filet mignon until I moved to Arkansas.  A local grocer has them all the time wrapped with bacon.  I tried it and we both loved it and it may be our choice of meat now instead of ribeye steaks.  This grocer did not have a grade stamp on it so I assume it was most likely select being most of their meat is select.
  • #56 by Bentley on 10 Oct 2021
  • I think it may have, but to me it would be more of a positive for Omaha.  It is the opposite of say a Franklin's or a Triple D where I my expectations may be much greater (and I am usually extremely disappointed).  Still a bias, and not good when you are trying to impart data to other in an impartial manner!

But most of the previous comments from members have probably influenced your upcoming judging. AYE?
  • #57 by Bentley on 29 Oct 2021
  • Thank you for your patience!

OK, here are my thoughts. Front middle and back of the steer?  Just ordered, will try and get as close to the same cuts at Costco and use them as benchmark.  Stay tuned!

• #58 by hughver on 29 Oct 2021
  • I tried Omaha steaks a while back and as some have said the quality vs. cost is terrible but they were surly eatable. On my taste scale, a 6. About the same as Costco.

As for filet grade, a local grocery was selling whole filets for $7.99/lb. Thinking that this was a great deal I bought several. they turned out to be select and were nothing like the choice or prime. I peeled(trimmed) them, then smoked to 130°. they were tough and tasteless. Not worth the price. The beef broth that I made from the trimmings was great, so all was not lost.
  • #59 by Bentley on 29 Oct 2021
  • I do not buy much of the Prime at Costco...What would it take for a USDA Choice to be a 10 for you?  I would consider Costco beef between 8-9, so interesting observation!  It will be here next Friday, so the timing is good for cooking

I guess I am assuming the Omaha to be Choice Grade, not Prime.
  • #60 by hughver on 29 Oct 2021
  • Years ago, I had a steak at the "Hitching Post" outside of Santa Maria, CA that I view as a 10. Taste varies person to person and I also think that it changes with age. Since my stroke nothing taste very good, so I'm not a good source for taste decisions.
Pages:
Actions