Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 22 Aug 2021

•   After spending a couple of hours scraping, vacuuming and doing a 20 min/ 650ยบ burn-off, followed up by a second disassembly, more scraping, vacuuming and finally cleaning up any stains - the Memphis Pro 

was back to its as new state.

Due to the work involved, I want to keep the grease build-up to a minimum. What I decided to do is to cook anything that can be cooked in a pan, in a pan. It's far easier to clean a pan + rack than accelerate

the pit build-up that will have to be dealt with later.

The last few pork shoulders I did were done using a pan and rack. It made clean-up so much easier. The cook time seemed no different vs no pan. An added benefit is the drippings. Discard or use for?

As part of the clean-up was to scrape the bottom side of the cooking grates, after the burn-off the grate seasoning was gone. By using the pan method, I am able to oil/season the grates @ each cook and not

having to worry about sticking until they regain seasoning.

If you are doing a Memphis clean-up, be sure to remove the burn pot. It exposes a lot of nasties that should be dealt with... The 4 pot screws need not be tight. They are more for locators with light clamping as

a secondary function. Too tight may strip the threads and/or make future removal difficult.
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 22 Aug 2021
  • The redesign with the Chinese made units are worse.
    The pellet ramp is not a complete ramp, it is open in the middle.
    Pellets are supposed to jump the gap to get to the bottom part of the ramp and then fall into burn pot.
    I have the Elite so it has 3 trays, two outside ones for grease, and center one for ash.
    A lot of pellets don't make the jump over the air gap and end up in the ash tray.
    Not to mention dust that drops off the ramp and builds up behind the burn pot.
    I have to take it all apart every once in a while to clean all that out.
    Currently having a custom SS part made to make the ramp work like the USA made units.
    I'll post pictures in the Memphis thread when I get it.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 22 Aug 2021

•  That's interesting.  I would like the see your mod pics.
  • #4 by Bentley on 22 Aug 2021
  • Completely agree!  Nor is there any difference in taste!

The cook time seemed no different vs no pan. An added benefit is the drippings. Discard or use for?

• #5 by scdaf on 22 Aug 2021
  • I bit the bullet and bought the hideously expensive Memphis upper racks and cook nearly everything up there with a disposable aluminum pan (wrapped in foil so I can save the pan.  How's THAT for cheap screw, Bentley?)  Clean up is almost nonexistent.
  • #6 by Bentley on 22 Aug 2021
  • That is just sound thinking!  And a would do it but my model is so old you only have the one little grate on the 3rd level, or I would do the same thing!  Just not enough room for full size with 2nd shelf!
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Aug 2021
  • That is just sound thinking!  And a would do it but my model is so old you only have the one little grate on the 3rd level, or I would do the same thing!  Just not enough room for full size with 2nd shelf!

Its a little tight to get a full size pan under that second rack. You need to bend the edges of the pan a little.
  • #8 by Canadian John on 23 Aug 2021

•  As for some of THE RACKS I USE: The Weber Q series all stainless steel racks - the small, #6563, 8" X 12" and the large, #6564, 9 1/4" X 14 1/2". Both are 5/8" high.

They work well in several ways. They can sit on top or in several  different sized pans.. Easily cleaned as well.
  • #9 by Clonesmoker on 23 Aug 2021
  • I take my racks to the car wash. Putty knife and vacuum to clean the fire box area out.
  • #10 by Canadian John on 01 Sep 2021

•  Update. Each time I cook something without drips and splatter, the pit gets even cleaner. Small bits of carbon dust and flakes emerge from what seems like nowhere. It's plain eerie and doesn't feel right.

When first introduced to BBQ, the pits I got to know had build-up and dripped goodness. I associated that with the wonderful taste and texture of the food they produced.

So much for trying to maintain a pristine pit. I have decided to reinstate the goodness: drips, splatters and some minor build-up. This should return the psychological flavour profile to my cooks.
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 01 Sep 2021

•  Update. Each time I cook something without drips and splatter, the pit gets even cleaner. Small bits of carbon dust and flakes emerge from what seems like nowhere. It's plain eerie and doesn't feel right.

I get that on the Memphis hood.
    Have to check it all the time and scrape the flakes off to keep them off the food.
Pages:
Actions