Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by SmokinHandyman on 05 Jul 2021
  • My wife wants me to make this. Any of you ever made or tried it?
  • #2 by SmokinHandyman on 05 Jul 2021
  • If so maybe you have a good recipe?
  • #3 by Bentley on 05 Jul 2021
  • I have heard the dishes name, but I can't remember what it is.
  • #4 by jeff_in_md on 06 Jul 2021
  • My wife wants me to make this. Any of you ever made or tried it?

I've had it.   My Italian H.S.  algebra teacher made it for us.    It was very good.  Is your wife Italian?   If so, where would her family be from?   I'm sure there are regional variations.     The most basic recipe will be just olive oil, garlic and anchovies.     Typically served with cut vegetable and bread for dipping.     Smoking the veggies could add some interest.     Avoid any recipes that add cream.   Google for recipes from the Piedmont (Northern) part of Italy.   Given the simplicity of the ingredients, this is probably one of those recipes where splurging on a good olive oil & anchovies will pay dividends as well as using fresh garlic & veggies.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 06 Jul 2021

•  Talk about different. That could be a good one to try.  Thanks Jeff
  • #6 by jeff_in_md on 19 Jul 2021

•  Talk about different. That could be a good one to try.  Thanks Jeff

if you give it a try, I'll be interested in how you like it, as well as SmokinHandyMan.    I need to make it myself!  :-)
  • #7 by Ffvillager on 02 Sep 2021
  • When I was a kid it was a staple in our house on Friday because we were Catholic and couldn’t eat meat on Friday. We made it with melted butter, a large amount of garlic and anchovies. It was kept warm on the stove and we dipped lettuce, celery, cauliflower and bread in the mixture. It was fantastic. Have seen it, and have had it in old style Italian restaurants where there is a large Italian population.
    Some people used to make it with a little cream added to it but we never did. By the way, the house smelled of garlic for a couple of days afterwards.
Pages:
Actions