Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by devehf on 12 Sep 2021
  • Has anyone been able to take off the supplied propane tank line and replacing it with a standard propane flexible line to the house propane bib?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #2 by Canadian John on 12 Sep 2021

•  No I haven't. There is a lot of info regarding what you are asking about. Simply do a search.

What I see should be straight forward as the regulator is part of the hose you are removing.

Using quick couplers would allow you to move the unit out of the way or relocate it.

The most difficult part would be the supply. Breaking into or extending the existing propane supply. This may be best left to a LICENSED pro for safety and insurance reasons.

Welcome to Pellet Fan.
  • #3 by WiPelletHead on 12 Sep 2021
  • The Camp Chef website shows the parts you would need.

PGSEAR-15NG Gas Valve
    NGKIT Gas Hose
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 12 Sep 2021
  • Welcome to the forum.
    House would most likely be Natural Gas, which is different than Propane, unless in a Rural area, then you may have Propane to the house.
    That would require a conversion (changing the jets I believe) as well as the hose.
    Not sure if that is what WIPelletHead was referencing.
  • #5 by devehf on 12 Sep 2021
  • House is not Natural Gas. It is propane. What WiPelletHead refers to is irrelevant. Thanks anyway.

I've done searching and have not found the exact information I am looking for.
    I am not able to get the hose nut to budge. Is it standard lefty loosey. Or opposite.

>straight forward as the regulator is part of the hose you are removing
    Meaning what? The house tank has a regulator. What is straight forward?

• #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Sep 2021
  • have you contacted Camp Chef?
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 12 Sep 2021
  • Does the elbow have threads on the other end? If not you may need to split the nut on the line if you cannot get it loose. I would do as mentioned above and get a quick coupler set and plumb in right there. As long as you have an easy access point to tap your house line should be pretty much straight forward, Tap the line if copper buy the correct size T the line will probably be 1/2 or 3/4" It could be black iron which would require more effort unless there is a joint close where you want to set up.

I would check with someone that knows code for your locality, it may need to be a certain type of line and some even want the line to be painted gray.

Once all done, turn the gas back on and get out the soapy water to test for leaks.
  • #8 by 1MoreFord on 12 Sep 2021
  • Talk with your local propane supplier.
  • #9 by Canadian John on 13 Sep 2021
  • House is not Natural Gas. It is propane. What WiPelletHead refers to is irrelevant. Thanks anyway.

I've done searching and have not found the exact information I am looking for.
    I am not able to get the hose nut to budge. Is it standard lefty loosey. Or opposite.

>straight forward as the regulator is part of the hose you are removing
    Meaning what? The house tank has a regulator. What is straight forward?
     The hose nut is a standard thread: turn CC to loosen. You should hold the part the hose is screwed on to using a small pipe wrench or locking pliers, IE Vice-Grips, so as to not twist it off or cause internal damage to the part the hose is screwed onto.

Meaning the house propane system pressure is regulated suppling the proper pressure. Therefore the existing regulator is not required.

Straight forward-I meant, simply unscrew the existing hose and regular assembly and replace it with a supply hose, hopefully with a male quick coupler. These hoses are usually 10 Ft with a 3/8" coupler.

Unfortunately, you are confronted with an overly tightened hose nut making straight forward less straight forward.

• #10 by devehf on 13 Sep 2021

• Ahh I see what you mean now. Thanks for the threading clarification. It is indeed threaded like a standard connection. Just needed a little encouragement from a monkey wrench. Got the portable propane tank hose off.

Removed portable propane hose female threaded connector on the left. Threaded male plug removed from the house propane bib on the right.

So looks like a 3/4” threaded male to female quick connect on the house bib would be good.

Then an appropriate length propane hose with male quick connect on one and and a threaded 3/4” female connector on the other end.

Or maybe male quick connect on both ends of the hose and a female 3/4” threaded to female quick connect adapter to attach to the Camp Chef sidekick.
  • #11 by devehf on 13 Sep 2021
  • I think the connections are 5/8” not 3/4”.
  • #12 by Bentley on 13 Sep 2021
  • Yeah, 5/8 from thread to thread!
  • #13 by devehf on 13 Sep 2021

• Well didn’t get to any local shops today to get parts so I busted out the Searzall to sear Monday Night Ribeyes. Maybe I’ll get the parts from my propane supply guy this week. So close!
Pages:
Actions