Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by RichW on 01 Oct 2017
  • I have done at least 3 of these whole top rounds in the last six months and have tender results with very little hassle prep and cook.  I start with a 10 to 15 lb. whole top round roast from Costco, which I ask one of the butcher staff to pull un-cut from the cooler, which cost less than $4.00 / lb on average.  The most recent weighed 13# at $3.98 per.  I do not trim but do inject a mix of beef broth and Worcestershire 2/1 as much as it can tolerate, and top coat with 1/2 Black Opps and 1/2 cheap steak seasoning i.e. Aldi's, pressed in.  I by then will have my smoker stabilized at 170 deg. usually a hickory and comp. blend with a 12" tube of mesquite pellets and chips , lite the entire length of the tube for max smoke during the smoke.  Smoke for 2 plus hours right from the refrigerator, cold, to allow for some serious smoke absorption before going to 225 deg.after the roast gets to 90 internal.   I pull the roast when the center temp hits 130-135, which is rare and foil wrap in a pan to finish for at least an hour before slicing.  If you intend to freeze the entire balance of the roast that has not been consumed then refrigerate before slicing.  I am lucky to have a 10 inch Berkel slicer and can do  1/4 pieces of the roast cut cross grain at 1/16 to 1/8" in about 15 min. with little run out of juices after it is cold.  Left over juices collected in a pan during the initial wrap and rest period make for a great over pour, au jus, when the frozen roast is rewarmed for meals.  Of course this will not keep for more than a few days, but is easily frozen in small baggies.  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]    This makes a great Arby's type sandwich or straight on the plate meal.

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Oct 2017
  • Looks great...I may have to try one of those.
  • #3 by Bentley on 01 Oct 2017
  • I Love Fast Food, I enjoy an Arby's sandwich.  I can guarantee you I have not had this at Arby's!   :pig:

This makes a great Arby's type sandwich or straight on the plate meal.

• #4 by Quadman750 on 01 Oct 2017
  • Yup with some horseradish mayo
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Oct 2017
  • Yup with some horseradish mayo

and some grilled onions and melted swiss
  • #6 by Bentley on 01 Oct 2017
  • French Dip w/creamy horseradish!
  • #7 by Queball on 01 Oct 2017
  • Is a top round also what is called a steamship round? ..... That looks great! ..... Nice cook, Compadre.
    • Queball
  • #8 by Wettle on 07 Oct 2017
  • That looks fantastic!!
    • Wettle
  • #9 by Vision on 08 Oct 2017
  • Is a top round also what is called a steamship round? ..... That looks great! ..... Nice cook, Compadre.

No. A steamship round is basically the entire round.
Pages:
Actions