Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pulled pork  (Read 491 times)

bbqking01

• Using less gas.
Pulled pork
« on: September 21, 2021, 01:43:23 PM »

Did this last week for a relatives first birthday
On the SmokeFire. Mustard rub with Salt Lick garlic rub, and Killer Hogs the BBQ Rub
Oops posted in wrong section…sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Pulled pork
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 02:34:59 PM »

Another nice cook.

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 02:59:53 PM »

I tried two a few years ago. I had read that two take the same time as one. I found that not to be the case in my Daniel Boone. If I recall it took 18 1/2 hours for 2 compared to about 13 for 1.

I just did a pork butt a week and a half ago and it took 14 1/2 hours. There is obviously variation related to size, wrapping and temperature of the smoker.

I was able to describe, thermodynamically, why that could make sense, and it may depend on how your smoker works.

Have you got any real world observations for the time to cook 2 versus 1? Below is my original post on the subject.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=3909.msg47080#msg47080
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:03:28 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 03:56:06 PM »

I think if you had the next size up grill you would have less of a problem with the amount of extra time.  I am guessing air circulation is compromised and causing longer time to cook in a smaller pellet grill.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 04:05:03 PM »

I think if you had the next size up grill you would have less of a problem with the amount of extra time.  I am guessing air circulation is compromised and causing longer time to cook in a smaller pellet grill.

That is a key element of my thermodynamic discussion.

bbqking01

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 07:42:50 PM »

In my SmokeFire EX6, the large one. The right side cooks faster than the left. It gets hotter on the right. I cooked these until the stall and then moved them inside to a roaster. Also I have done more than two before, and they all had different temps. I think that’s a given though as every piece of meat is slightly different. I just stick a probe in and watch it. Generally the meat is within 10 degrees of each other.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »

Last year I did four at the same time but only to the stall. Since I put them in a covered foil pan at that point, I used ovens to finish. Total cook time was about 13 hours.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 01:07:56 PM »

The question I am asking is about the total time to cook 2 versus 1. It was conventional ("internet") wisdom that it takes the same amount of time.

I found that doing 2 in my pellet smoker took considerably longer. My son volunteered to watch them at 3 AM in the morning as they rested. I was not expecting them to cook into the early morning.

I have been reluctant to try 2 again, which is why I asked the question. I wanted to see if you see the same thing.

My smoker has temperature variations and never cooks at the same speed across the grill. That is a given that I have just learned to compensate for.

Enjoy the pulled pork. I turned my latest one into taquitos and pulled pork sandwiches. It is hard to beat pulled pork.

For the first time I was actually able to freeze half of it, so I am ready for more taquitos.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:09:51 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

bbqking01

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 01:12:21 PM »

Oh…I misunderstood. Ive never really even thought of watching or paying attention to length of time if more than one chunk of meat is on there. I suppose it’s possible. I’ve never noticed it….but I usually only do one or two at a time. And that was the first time on my pellet grill. I usually do pork butts on a kettle.

Pages: [1]   Go Up