Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by bbqking01 on 23 Sep 2021
  • I picked up a 17lb Briskit at my local frys. 1.99 per lb. took it out today and trimmed her up real good and seasoned with Holy Cow and Holy Gospel. Placed on my wired sheet pan. Set the SmokeFire to 225. Once at temp I placed her in and probed both ends. Also placed a water pan in to help with moisture. The plan is to take it to 165-170 then wrap it in foil. Then take it to 200, or until probe tender. Will add more pics soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #2 by Canadian John on 23 Sep 2021

•  Curious as to probe 1 and 2's location.   Left or right in the photo?
  • #3 by bbqking01 on 23 Sep 2021
  • So the higher temp one is in the right, probe #2, the flat. The other on the left probe #1, is in the point. Just wrapped in foil. I hasn’t moved temp in like an hour and a half. Stalled at around 155. Both probes evened out to almost identical temps though by the time I wrapped it.

• #4 by Hank D Thoreau on 23 Sep 2021
  • I've only used a water pan when cooking a brisket on a Weber charcoal grill. I had heard that is it not necessary for a pellet smoker since there is moisture in the pellets.

I am ready to try a water pan if it helps. I am still figuring out how to make a good brisket. I am interested in your thoughts on water pans in pellet smokers and the type of results you have seen.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Sep 2021
  • I've only used a water pan when cooking a brisket on a Weber charcoal grill. I had heard that is it not necessary for a pellet smoker since there is moisture in the pellets.

I am ready to try a water pan if it helps. I am still figuring out how to make a good brisket. I am interested in your thoughts on water pans in pellet smokers and the type of results you have seen.

Glitchy can probably explain this better than I can, but I believe Weber is the only pellet grill manufacturer that I am aware of that actually recommends putting a water pan in the grill.  So much so that they have left enough space between the grill grate and the flavorizer bars to be able to place the pans.  It also works well for catching drippings to with or without the use of water in the pans.
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Sep 2021
  • bbqking01, have you ever tried using pink butchers paper instead of foil?
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 23 Sep 2021

I use white butchers paper.  Is there a difference ?
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Sep 2021

I use white butchers paper.  Is there a difference ?

No as long as there is no wax on either side
  • #9 by Hank D Thoreau on 23 Sep 2021

Glitchy can probably explain this better than I can, but I believe Weber is the only pellet grill manufacturer that I am aware of that actually recommends putting a water pan in the grill.  So much so that they have left enough space between the grill grate and the flavorizer bars to be able to place the pans.  It also works well for catching drippings to with or without the use of water in the pans.

Just to make sure there is no confusion, I was referring to previously cooking a brisket on a standard Weber kettle with charcoal. That is the only time I used a water tray.

bbqking is placing the water tray on the grill, rather than underneath, which seems like an interesting option that I would not be against trying.
  • #10 by bbqking01 on 23 Sep 2021
  • Ok let me see if I can answer all these…lol. First let me say, I have no scientific knowledge for any of the methods of madness I use. I usually do the brisket on the top shelf of my SmokeFire. This time I did it on the bottom. When on the top shelf I have put drip/water pans under. Some with water, some times without. I personally did not care for the ones without water under…seemed not as moist, after cutting dried out somewhat quickly. This time I just put it in there as a trial…as I’m sure you all know…everyone has their way of doing cooks. I don’t think one method is better than another. I’m always looking for ways to improve…tips from others…as for butcher paper, I have a roll and tried to use it once and it was a mess. I prefer not to have grease leaking all over the place. I’m sure there will come a day where I just do it and won’t ever use foil again, but for now….not. Plus the paper seems kind of narrow, and even when laying out doubled and doing my best, I couldn’t get it wrapped tight around the meat…I’ve heard that the SmokeFire is prone to flare ups and grease fires., so I use pans all the time to keep grease out of the bottom of the drum. As for the kettle, I do similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalku
  • #11 by Hank D Thoreau on 23 Sep 2021
  • Thanks, the reason I am asking is that I have yet to come up with a method that satisfies me. Brisket seems to be more sensitive than other meats, like a pork butt.

The size difference between the point and the flat adds complexity. If I get the point right, then the flat ends up dry. I have tried separating them, and may try that again.

The problem is that experimenting with brisket takes a lot of time making it more difficult to refine a formula. As such, looking for advise from folks that have it down really helps.

I think the best brisket I ever cooked was the first, which was the flat only, done on a charcoal Weber kettle.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Sep 2021

Just to make sure there is no confusion, I was referring to previously cooking a brisket on a standard Weber kettle with charcoal. That is the only time I used a water tray.

bbqking is placing the water tray on the grill, rather than underneath, which seems like an interesting option that I would not be against trying.

I understood what you meant.  I was giving what little info I know about using one on a pellet grill and that is that Weber is the only manufacturer I know that has recommended use of a water pan in a pellet grill.  So my thought on using one is a pellet grill is that I wouldn't try it on any grill but a weber pellet grill.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Sep 2021
  • For whatever reason, butcher paper has worked the best for me for tenderness with bark that is not really dry like I have made without foil and with foil.

I also agree they are more challenging than many other cuts of meat and at $100+ per at current market prices I will eat something else.  And, I get my share when I go visit my brothers BBQ trailer eating some pieces while he is slicing up his finished product.
  • #14 by bbqking01 on 23 Sep 2021
  • I have tried doing brisket on a kettle 3 times, I messed it up everytime. My wife can get one done on the kettle….for some reason me+brisket+kettle doesn’t work. I’ve done about 5 on my SmokeFire now and everyone of them has been good. Some better than others. I actually still prefer kettle+wood chunks to pellet, when it come to flavor. And I do a lot of tritip, on the kettle only so far.

• #15 by BigDave83 on 23 Sep 2021
  • It is looking good so far.

My Pit Boss vertical has a water pan, I used to put water in it, and it was just a mess, so I fill it with oil dry, I can scoop out the clumps. The folks one the interweb seem to say it is there for temp stabilization, I don't seem to understand that, as I thought that is what the controller was for. My propane Cabelas vertical has one in also, which is odd as propane leaves off moisture from the burn.

I have not done a brisket in years, I am the only one that will eat it here, and I have no friends to feed, I know some folks that would come and help eat it up, but they aren't my favorite people. So I have a few BBQ places that make pretty good brisket and I will get it when I go to them.

Cant wait to see the finished product.
Pages:
Actions