Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 27 Sep 2021

•  As pellet pit operators, we are tasked with cleaning out our pits. Part of that process requires we remove the cooking grate(s), drip tray and heat shield.

Now for the question. Where does one place the greasy items so as not to cause other problems with grease stains?

I have dedicated 2 X 2's ~ 8" with copper on top to shield the wood from grease. They are used to support the grates and easily wiped clean and placed either on a piece of cardboard or newspaper

on top of a near by table.

Just curious as to your methods.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Sep 2021
  • I put them on the side shelf and wipe it down afterwards or sometimes i put pieces of cardboard down from Amazon boxes on the side shelf to place the items on.
  • #3 by pmillen on 27 Sep 2021
  • A good thread starting.  I'll learn something.
  • #4 by Chris__M on 27 Sep 2021
  • I generally grab the greasy items out of the grill, then wander around the garden for 5 minutes, looking for somewhere to put them down.

Then put them back in the grill and go and find some waste paper.
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 27 Sep 2021
  • Grease would soak into the granite counter top, so I have a piece of that white stuff they make cutting boards out of next to my grill.
    Stack the 3 grates on top of each other on it, then the "flavorizer" as Memphis calls it, on top of the grates.
  • #6 by Bentley on 27 Sep 2021
  • The Memphis Pro has shelfs on either side, and being SS they clean easy so I am a shelf guy too!
  • #7 by SmokinHandyman on 27 Sep 2021
  • I put mine on old cardboard
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Sep 2021
  • The Memphis Pro has shelfs on either side, and being SS they clean easy so I am a shelf guy too!

I put parts from other grills on those SS shelves too.
  • #9 by Jimsbarbecue on 28 Sep 2021
  • Cover the side shelf with foil and put everything there then dispose. Or do as Bentley and clean the shelf afterwards..So if the shelf needs cleaning already no foil.
  • #10 by Osborn Cox on 28 Sep 2021
  • It’s the only time my gas grill gets used now, open the lid set and everything on the gas grill grate while I’m cleaning the “real” grill.
  • #11 by Brushpopper on 28 Sep 2021
  • I set the grates on some old sawhorses that live out in the weather.  The drip tray I hang over the barb wire fence on the property line and scrape everything into the grass in the pasture on the other side and then set it on a flatbed trailer so I can vacuum.  The heat diffuser I just set on the pavers next to the pit.  Rain washes everything clean. 
Pages:
Actions