Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by just4fn on 03 Oct 2021
  • I picked up a used wifi Daniel Boone today for 60.00.  It was blowing fuses and only needed a hot rod.  What is this world coming to.
  • #2 by ylr on 04 Oct 2021
  • I'm afraid the world is filled with people who find it too inconvenient to bother to try to troubleshoot or repair things. Rejoice, you got a great deal!  :cool:
  • #3 by Canadian John on 04 Oct 2021

•  Sadly, most people these days have no idea how things work let alone repair them. That goes for cooking meals. Unless it comes prepared in a box ready to heat, they're lost.

It's our modern society. Not to say it's wrong, simply different from my upbringing.  Heck, when I was about 6 years old I was given a soldering iron (not gun) and taught how to use it.

In the automobile world, starters, alternators, transmissions, engines etc were rebuilt at a local level. No more. For the most part, repair parts aren't available. Even if they were, the rebuild labour costs would

end up driving the net cost of replacing the assembly with either a new or remanufactured part where these parts are rebuilt en masse.

Now I am on a roll: Most people of to day can't do math unless they have a calculator or stare @ the cash register so they will know what the customer is owed in the way of change. Even that is on the way out

with the use of credit/debit cards that are being superseded by the almighty phone.

Our world is in a constant state of change. Some good and some not.

I am curious as to wether the youth of today are enjoying life as much as we did 65 to 70 years ago. 

Back to the Daniel Boone. Perhaps there were other reasons why the pit was sold for a pittance. Whatever the case, looks as if you got a good deal.
  • #4 by hughver on 04 Oct 2021
  • Where I live, it cost more than that to have it hauled away. selling cheap is a convenient way to get rid of it. When I'm ready to pack it in, I'm going to roll all five of them out to the street and hang a FREE sign on them.
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 04 Oct 2021
  • Where I live, it cost more than that to have it hauled away. selling cheap is a convenient way to get rid of it. When I'm ready to pack it in, I'm going to roll all five of them out to the street and hang a FREE sign on them.

Around me everyone and their brother are begging to haul people scrap metal. A post on FB and people would be lining up to come get them.
  • #6 by Bentley on 05 Oct 2021
  • Score!
  • #7 by Clonesmoker on 06 Oct 2021
  • Picked up a two-stage snow blower for nothing a couple years ago! Looks brand new. Guy didn't want to deal with it as he said it didn't throw snow. I looked it over and found that a pulley was not set in right spot so when it was attached to the frame with the lock nut it was not straight. I loosed the l lock nut, got the pulley set in straight and now it will throw snow 20'.  Just wow!!
  • #8 by Jimsbarbecue on 06 Oct 2021
  • I have a Jim Bowie. I bought for $100. Put a folding front shelf and new heat deflector and drip pan
    Going to sell for $200 to someone that can use it. Having three pellet grills is to many and I need the room. So I sure others run into similar reasons
  • #9 by Chris__M on 07 Oct 2021
  • I actually gave away an old but "working" Traeger Lil Tex over the summer, to make room for my new grill.

I say "working" because the controller stopped a few years ago. After a couple of partially successful attempts at temperature control using an arduino, I ended up just using a simple variable timing mechanism controlling the auger, and a feel for how many seconds on/off related to the common temperatures I cook at +/-

I passed it on to someone who I thought could do something with it - he works for a popular single-board computer/hobby-controller manufacturer. Other than the controller, it was in good nick for its age, a little surface rust, but nothing terrible. So although my timer works, I think he will replace it with something better soon; I do hope so.
  • #10 by Bentley on 07 Oct 2021
  • He might come up with something that transforms that type of controller, sells them over here and is the next Billionaire!
  • #11 by Chris__M on 07 Oct 2021
  • He might come up with something that transforms that type of controller, sells them over here and is the next Billionaire!
    :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

He's also the chap who drove an hour and a half each way to help me tip my brand new grill over to replace the base screws that the supplier hadn't secured with locking washers before shipping to me. And at some point he will make the same trip to help me completely replace the base with the new one the suppler sent me, due to the resulting damage.

As it happens, he has experience with auger motors, as his central heating runs on pellets; so he was intrigued by the pellet grill idea.
Pages:
Actions