Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hank D Thoreau on 06 Oct 2021
  • Recently, I read a post here where someone was making pulled pork and talked about saucing it when they were done.

It kind of surprised me initially since I add sauce as I use the pork, or beef. But then, if all you are making with your specific cook is barbeque pulled pork or beef sandwiches then it makes a lot of sense.

It got me thinking how many different ways folks use shredded meats.

At my house shredded meat is used in many different ways. We have some world class sandwich makers who do some pretty creative things with it. I don't fall in that category.

I will usually use it to cook breakfast scrambles for my wife; sort of like machaca. We also make tacos, burritos and taquitos, in addition to the normal bbq pork and beef sandwiches.

I have one son that just likes to eat it as is.

I can see adding it to fried rice, but I have yet to try that. Tamales are another option. The question is whether the smoky taste would work. Plus, you need an army to assemble tamales, so it is mostly a holiday thing.

We just throw the shredded meat in a container and let folks do with it as they like. We add sauce as we use it. In fact, I just poor the sauce on top when I make a BBQ sandwich.

I am still looking for more ways to make use of it.  So what do you do with shredded meats? Do you cook it for a specific purpose each time? Do you leave it bare so it can be used for multiple purposes?
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 06 Oct 2021
  • Sauce is almost always on the side to be added or not by he person eating it.

I like to just toss some of the shredded stuff in a skillet and warm over a lower heat allow it to get some crispy parts. I love pork like this on a big flour tortilla with some mustard a good slice of brick, provolone, longhorn, and a clausen pickle spear.

we will use it in quesadillas, she likes chicken so I usually SV breasts and shred, add in some fajita seasoning, and a sriracha and mayo mix on the cheese as it is melting. Usually use the griddle for this.

also make up some  into a salad,, whether usual lettuce based or like a chicken type salad with mayo and such. Put some on pizzas, and have wrapped some in egg roll wrappers and deep fried. I also like to just eat  it so, maybe a bit of some sort of sauce on it sometimes.
  • #3 by Brushpopper on 06 Oct 2021
  • Tacos and quesadillas are our go to but it is never sauced unless we want a sandwich and that isn't often.  Tacos with pico de gallo or just cilantro and onion are the usual.  :lick:
  • #4 by glitchy on 06 Oct 2021
  • We do a lot of BBQ tacos with ours, just leftover shredded beef or pork on a tortilla with cheese and BBQ sauce. However, we sometimes do nachos, enchiladas, pasta, etc. with it, so sauce at serving time or occasionally during reheating.
  • #5 by urnmor on 06 Oct 2021
  • I do not sauce until ready to eat as IMO takes away to many options.  We use it on sandwiches, hash, with eggs, mixed with rice or pasta. 
  • #6 by Hank D Thoreau on 06 Oct 2021
  • I forgot about hash. I have done that as well. That is a favorite of my wife's.
  • #7 by hughver on 06 Oct 2021
  • I use pulled pork in pozole and tamale pie. I use shredded beef in stew and beef pot pies.
  • #8 by Bentley on 06 Oct 2021
  • Have not enjoyed shredded meat in about 20 years.  I think the Competitions put me off of it.  I would prefer ground beef over shredded in just about every dish I would have ever used it in.  I guess the last 2 bastions for me would be shredded pork tamales and BBQ Beef sandwiches (and that would be chopped beef).
  • #9 by 02ebz06 on 06 Oct 2021
  • Usually ends up on a tortilla in this house.
Pages:
Actions