Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Smoker Ideas?  (Read 851 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
New Smoker Ideas?
« on: October 06, 2021, 07:18:25 AM »

I am looking for a new smoker to replace my 6 year old GMG Daniel Boone.  I would like to stay below $1,500.  It must be bigger than my DB (432 Sq. in.) and it must either have a rotisserie and have the space for installing one.  having a second shelf would be a plus, but not a necessity.  I like the RecTec, but I don't know about the rotisserie want.  I am hoping there will be some Black Friday sales coming up.  My DB has served me well, but each time I start it up I hold my breath.  I have already replaced a lot of the parts on it.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: New Smoker Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 08:53:40 AM »

I don't own either but if I was looking for a cooker in that range and didn't want to go with the same brand I had (GMG for you) Grilla would be my first choice, their Apha controller I think would be great to work with. It has a second cooking area also. My other choice would be Pellet Pro. I used one of their controllers in my pit boss vertical, like most PID it really changed the smoke amounts compared to the original PB controller. They are a small family run company and were very helpful when I had questions about putting their used controller I had into the Pit Boss.

I see the pellet fed ceramics are coming back now also.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 09:44:58 AM »

You could get a Pellet Pro hopper assembly and build your own to the specs you want.  I've toyed with that idea several times and then I take a look at my Maverick 850 and realize I can't do better for my needs than that.  :bbq:
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

glitchy

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »

It is a great time of the year to be watching FB Marketplace and Craigslist for a used MAK, Yoder, Cookshack etc. If you are able to up your budget by $500, you do open up a few brand new American made pits (Yoder, Cookshack, and Blaz'n at least). For your budget and new, I'd probably be with the others that RecTeq and Grilla look to be some of the better constructed. One thing I have seen is many of the pellet grills have been adding and increasing the size of the upper shelves the past few years. Before that, many didn't have at all and those that did were like Weber gas grill warming racks, now many of them are capable of holding a full packer on the upper shelf.

However, there's your rotisserie requirement...doesn't that throw just about everything but GMG out the window? Broil King has one, but hasn't been too successful that I've seen getting into the pellet market. Have others introduced them recently? I'm curious for my own knowledge, have you noticed a big difference between comparing the same thing cooked on your GMG with and without the rotisserie? Most of the pellet manufacturers have dismissed the rotisserie concept saying it provides very little benefit since the cooking is indirect and convection to start with. The real proof is in the actual results though, so no idea if or how many of them tried before making those claims.

Another brand that I always seem to forget about is Smokin Brothers that might have some models in your price range. There made in US in MO and appear to be well constructed, they're just a little ugly in their design which I have a hard time getting past...I think the same about RecTeq's horns  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:26:19 AM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 11:59:39 AM »

I installed my rotisserie in my DB before they had them.  All it takes was enough room for the meat to turn and be able to drill a few holes in it.  I guess I could keep my DB just for that reason, but I also have a Traeger Junior as a spare.  I forgot about Yoder.  Last fall I saw some SmokinBrothers at a Home & Garden show and I believe they have a rotisserie option.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 12:01:11 PM by reubenray »

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 09:07:35 PM »

I emailed RecTec to ask about a rotisserie.  Their answer was it was not needed and I would void the warranty if I installed one.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 08:12:41 AM »

I emailed RecTec to ask about a rotisserie.  Their answer was it was not needed and I would void the warranty if I installed one.

I don't understand the "it is not needed thing." it seems like pellet people think that convection cooking is the same as rotisserie cooking. Any time that question is brought up in the rectec FB pages they come out in masses to be sure to tell the person you don't need it.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 11:02:37 AM »

I don't understand the "it is not needed thing." it seems like pellet people think that convection cooking is the same as rotisserie cooking. Any time that question is brought up in the rectec FB pages they come out in masses to be sure to tell the person you don't need it.

After smoking numerous pork putts and brisket flats using my rotisserie RecTec does not know what they are talking about.  This comment has removed them from my list.  My wife said I could spend more if I found the perfect one.  But finding one is not that easy especially if I want to see it first hand before buying it.  For example the closest Yoder dealer is 117 miles away.   SmokinBrothers 30"Premier Plus looks very easy to install a rotisserie.  There are several dealers close by (at least by their website).  I did see these last year at a local Home & Garden show.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 11:09:40 AM by reubenray »

glitchy

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 11:35:49 AM »

Many of the rotisserie cookers you see are spinning foods over or in front of a direct heat source, I think that's where the idea that it's not need on a pellet grills stems from since it's generally indirect heat. I agree that convection and rotisserie are not the same thing, but always wondered how beneficial a rotisserie would be on a pellet grill, just not quite enough to modify one of the grills I've had to test it.

After smoking numerous pork putts and brisket flats using my rotisserie RecTec does not know what they are talking about.  This comment has removed them from my list.  My wife said I could spend more if I found the perfect one.  But finding one is not that easy especially if I want to see it first hand before buying it.  For example the closest Yoder dealer is 117 miles away.   SmokinBrothers 30"Premier Plus looks very easy to install a rotisserie.  There are several dealers close by (at least by their website).  I did see these last year at a local Home & Garden show.

Unfortunately, this seems to be where the world is going. It's getting harder and harder to see many things in person before you buy anymore. Even cars and mattresses are moving towards direct internet sales. There's a lot of pellet grills that you have to almost know someone that has one to see before you buy. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if any manufacturer that doesn't have a rotisserie option might say that modifying your grill to add one would void the warranty.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 11:54:45 AM »

reuben, what would you say was the difference in your final product when you made it with the rotisserie versus cooking on the grates?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 01:17:06 PM »

reuben, what would you say was the difference in your final product when you made it with the rotisserie versus cooking on the grates?

They have been juicier being they are self-basting themselves as they roll round and round. One side does not get done more than the other side also.   There is a lot less mess due to this too.  When I do a brisket flat I try to get between 6 and 7 pounds and I have to trim it some to fit in the basket.  If possible when I do a pork butt I get it from Costco being it is boneless.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 02:07:10 PM »

They have been juicier being they are self-basting themselves as they roll round and round. One side does not get done more than the other side also.   There is a lot less mess due to this too.  When I do a brisket flat I try to get between 6 and 7 pounds and I have to trim it some to fit in the basket.  If possible when I do a pork butt I get it from Costco being it is boneless.

Have you ever tried smoking on an elevated rack above the grill grate to see if you get a similar more juicy result?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 02:34:46 PM »

Have you ever tried smoking on an elevated rack above the grill grate to see if you get a similar more juicy result?

Most of my smokes are done on an elevated rack that I made years ago.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 06:49:20 PM »

Gotcha.  Sounds like a rotisserie does the job better for you.  Someone on here converted a MAK to use a rotisserie at one point.  I'm guessing pellet grill mfg don't want to deal with a second source for electric or an additional place for smoke (and air) to escape which may potentially cause issues with their algorithms for the controller temps.  Looking forward to hearing and seeing what you end up with and how you make the rotisserie work on it.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 07:05:09 PM »

Any thought to the new GMG Prime series ?
They have a rotisserie accessory.

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up