Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 01 Oct 2017
  •      Untrimmed pork tenderloins are rather inexpensive at Costco.
    There are two packages of two tenderloins per package for about $20.00.  So here are eight untrimmed tenderloins for about $40.00. 

EDIT:  The above doesn't explain the Costco packaging well.  Each Costco bundle has two packages of two tenderloins each.  So you get four pork tenderloins for $20.00.  The photograph has two bundles or eight separate pork tenderloins.

Brine them in a simple brine for at least a few hours.

You’ll need to spend some time suitably trimming them.
    Remove all the silverskin with a sharp knife with a point.  Also, trim off any small parts that will cook faster than the main tenderloin body.

Trimmed to length.  (Yeah, I added one.)

Completely trimmed.

Edible trimmings for shish kabobs.

Inedible trimmings.

Rub them with your favorite rub.

Smoke them at 250°F until the internal temperature is ~140°F.  Then sear them.

Rest them for about ten minutes, slice and serve.

EDIT:  When trimming, also remove as much of the thin, clear membrane as you can.
  • #2 by Bentley on 01 Oct 2017
  • Have you ever stuffed them?
  • #3 by pmillen on 01 Oct 2017
  • Have you ever stuffed them?

Nope.  I don't think I stuff anything.
  • #4 by Queball on 01 Oct 2017
  • Just bought one of these this morning. I think it's a 2 pack. So, Paul .... I'll follow your instructions and see how we do.  8)
    • Queball
  • #5 by W6YJ on 18 Oct 2017
  • Paul,

A somewhat silly question from a complete neophyte, what is the approximate cooking time at 250 to get to 140 IT?

I know it will vary based on the tenderloin's size and shape, but I would be very grateful for an approximate starting point.

Thanks,
    Ed
  • #6 by Conumdrum on 18 Oct 2017
  • I like them done the way Alton Brown does them.  I have tried on the smoker, but nothing beats his way, I like heat and living in Las Vegas I do eat a bit of hot food.  I spice them up and have salsa etc for great tacos.  Sorry to say, it's on a Charcoal Grill.  I suppose I could do them on my Yoder 640, but it's so fast and easy on my Weber Performer.  You for sure need a hot sear, and I don't think my Yoder has a large enough sear area, and could be a bit too hot.

• #7 by dclord on 18 Oct 2017
  • I love pork tenderloin but I never go to that much trouble. I take them out of the package, season with basic salt, brown sugar, and paprika rub, then throw them on at 350 F until they hit about 135.  Wrap them with foil for about 10 minutes then slice and serve. Never thought about trying to take the membrane off. I've never even noticed it was there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• #8 by pmillen on 18 Oct 2017
  • Paul,

A somewhat silly question from a complete neophyte, what is the approximate cooking time at 250 to get to 140 IT?

I know it will vary based on the tenderloin's size and shape, but I would be very grateful for an approximate starting point.

Thanks,
    Ed

A reasonable question question, Edgar, no matter the experience level. 

I didn't time it but I recall thinking that it should take an hour and a half to 140°F and then about 10 minutes to sear them and a 10-minute rest so I allowed two hours total.  It must have been close to that because the sides hit the dinner table at about the same time.
  • #9 by W6YJ on 19 Oct 2017

• A reasonable question question, Edgar, no matter the experience level. 

I didn't time it but I recall thinking that it should take an hour and a half to 140°F and then about 10 minutes to sear them and a 10-minute rest so I allowed two hours total.  It must have been close to that because the sides hit the dinner table at about the same time.

Paul,

Thanks, I'll allot two hours and go from there.

Ed
  • #10 by Bobitis on 19 Oct 2017
  • I guess I just can't get over a plain tenderloin as is. It always seems so bla....

I like to butterfly them and beat them into submission with a tenderizer. Stuff to yer liking and bacon wrap. Cook low and slow.
    Fork tender every time.  :pig:
  • #11 by RoadKing on 29 Oct 2017
  • Looks good.
    I also butterfly them, and coat them in a thick layer of homemade Jamaican jerk sauce. I also use high heat, 425. Love the crispy parts. I’ll post next time I make it.
    • RoadKing
Pages:
Actions