Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 11 Oct 2021
  • Was walking buy the meat case the other day and saw liver thick cut. I bought it and made it tonight, the GF is not about to eat it, she said they had to eat it when they were young and she isn't doing it any more. So since she was not home.  Had some left over fresh cut fries from a BBQ place over the weekend and tossed some of those on also. It was great, just seasoned flour for dusting. When I was little Woman would make it and she always over cooked everything, I guess it is the way she was raised, I wasn't a huge fan of it, but now I love it.

I was thinking, wonder if you could smoke it. This stuff cooked for maybe 5 minutes, the onions took longer to do than the liver.

Anyone ever smoked some, and how did you do it?
  • #2 by GREG-B on 11 Oct 2021
  • Looks yummy.  When growing up my mother would cook it once in a while.  She'd start cooking it in the morning and serve it for dinner that evening. (I swear) She wanted to make sure it was good and cooked.  Went to Italy a few years ago and had some veal liver&onions. It was sautéed to perfection and I got my fill before heading home.
  • #3 by Bentley on 11 Oct 2021
  • I had it a few times as a kid and despised it!  It was like wrapping cotton balls in cardboard and putting onions and gravy on it!  Is it calf's liver?
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 12 Oct 2021
  • I had it a few times as a kid and despised it!  It was like wrapping cotton balls in cardboard and putting onions and gravy on it!  Is it calf's liver?

This did not say calf's liver. they didn't have any marked that.

I didn't soak just floured and did it to around 145 to 152 was the temps I had seen. it cut with a fork and was tender and juicy, not all dried up.

I used to put mayo on it when Woman made it because it was so over cooked.
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 12 Oct 2021
  • Looks yummy.  When growing up my mother would cook it once in a while.  She'd start cooking it in the morning and serve it for dinner that evening. (I swear) She wanted to make sure it was good and cooked.  Went to Italy a few years ago and had some veal liver&onions. It was sautéed to perfection and I got my fill before heading home.

The all day cook reminds me of Woman making steak, all day cook so she could make gravy. I told her if she only cooked it for a few minutes she wouldn't need gravy.
  • #6 by Chris__M on 12 Oct 2021
  • Absolutely love liver. Although it is looked down on by many here, I think it is a very underated cut. But then again, I quite like kidneys too.

Over here liver from cattle tends to be called either Ox Liver or Calves Liver, depending on the age of the animal. Pork Liver is also quite common, especially as a breakfast meat.

I particularly like Lambs Liver.
  • #7 by hughver on 12 Oct 2021
  • Where's the bacon? I've always eaten liver with onions and lots of bacon.
  • #8 by yorkdude on 12 Oct 2021
  • Joining the Bentley camp here, no thanks.
  • #9 by SmokinHandyman on 12 Oct 2021
  • No liver for me.
    When I was 19 or 20 still living at my mom's she would cook liver for our 2 dogs and leave it in the fridge to feed them thru out the week. I came home after a night of drinking and got myself some thinking it was leftover round steak.  :puke:
  • #10 by bbqking01 on 15 Oct 2021
  • My dad loved liver and onions. I tried beef liver and it was gritty and didn’t like the taste. But I ate some from one of the black tail deer I got in Washington when I was younger and liked it. Yours looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #11 by pmillen on 15 Oct 2021
  • My father, the butcher, would often bring home organ meat.  As a youngster I thought that liver was rather good.  As an adult I often find it overcooked and not nearly as good.

Undercooked seems as though it would be gross.  Overcooked ruins it.  There must be a little window where it's cooked to my liking.
  • #12 by 1MoreFord on 18 Oct 2021
  • My dad loved liver and onions. I tried beef liver and it was gritty and didn’t like the taste. But I ate some from one of the black tail deer I got in Washington when I was younger and liked it. Yours looks good.

Don't go for beef liver.  Look for Calves liver.

ETA - Don't forget chicken liver.  I didn't like it until I worked for a college food service where they dredged them in seasoned flour, put them in a sheet pan, drizzled them with margarine and baked them.  I've liked them ever since.
  • #13 by Bentley on 20 Oct 2021
  • Do you like Rumaki?  Only way I can eat chicken livers!
  • #14 by 1MoreFord on 20 Oct 2021
  • Do you like Rumaki?  Only way I can eat chicken livers!

Never had any.  Don't remember seeing any to try.  Sounds good!
Pages:
Actions