Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chris__M on 15 Oct 2021
  • So, keeping up the monthly practicing to learn this grill. This time two pork shoulders and a piece of brisket. I'm visiting friends on Saturday, so will be taking some over to them, will freeze some, and gorge on the rest.

I decided to do an overnight cook, I planned to leave it until past 10pm before the meat went in, but it ended up being 9:30pm. Started cooking at 225° F, but by the time I was ready for bed, I could see the meat was cooking faster than last time, so I lowered that to 200° F.

Even so, when I woke at about 5:20am, all 3 joints were almost at 160° F, where I would be thinking about wrapping. I decided they would be ok as they are, and tried to get back to sleep. But like a kid on Christmas Day, I didn't really settle; at 7am I came down and wrapped them. They are now happily back on the grill, now set to 250° F, and I am cooking both pork and brisket to 204° F.

I'd like to get through the night without having to worry about tending the grill (barring problems), so next time I am going to start the grill at 180° F, for the overnight bit. It's what I used to cook on with my old Traeger, when I first started. I reckon at that temp, I'll be able to get 8 hours in bed and still be able to wrap on time.

Of course, as I have just been telling my friends on Facebook, every bit of meat is different.

The meat before wrapping - looks pretty good to me.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Chris__M on 15 Oct 2021
  • Yes, the brisket pan is resting on the griddle. That's because I'd forgotten the griddle was in there, and by the time I realised, it was hot.  ;D
  • #3 by Brushpopper on 15 Oct 2021
  • They look great!  I always leave my overnight cooks at 180 and then wrap the next morning.  I figure it won't get past the set temp and I get to sleep.  I like those pans.  What are they called?
  • #4 by Chris__M on 15 Oct 2021
  • They are from Denby. Traditionally a pottery company founded in 1809 (in Denby village). Some of their plate designs are very popular. But now also a retailer of quality kitchen-ware - both online and high street.

https://www.denbypottery.com/baking-tray-tin/192013079

They do do sales in the US, but it looks like it is only their pottery items.

A story behind my purchase. We have a supermarket chain here called Tescos. For various reasons, I'm not that keen on them, but I used to use them a lot because I have a store within walking distance. But with COVID lockdown, I got used to doing an online shop; meanwhile our in-town butcher has also opened a deli and greengrocer. So I decided I could actually do without Tescos - I haven't shopped there in well over a year.

But Tesco does a reward voucher scheme, and last year I realised I had about 40 pounds of vouchers, some about to expire. But rather than spend them in the shop, they also do promotions with other companies where you can exchange Tesco vouchers for - in this case - Denby ones, at a 3 to 1 rate. So I exchanged £30 of vouchers due to expire for £90 of Denby vouchers - which was 2 of those baking trays and a nice pottery butter dish!

Must check when that last £10 is due to be spent...
  • #5 by Chris__M on 15 Oct 2021
  • Turns out I had £8 left, running out in December.

I now have £24 worth of Denby vouchers, expiring 1 year from now. :D
  • #6 by Brushpopper on 15 Oct 2021
  • Nice! :cool: Thanks for the link.  I want to try and find something like those pans for pork butts
  • #7 by pmillen on 15 Oct 2021
  • Nice! :cool: Thanks for the link.  I want to try and find something like those pans for pork butts

This may meet your needs.

The tape reads slightly more than 17 inches.
  • #8 by Brushpopper on 15 Oct 2021

This may meet your needs.

The tape reads slightly more than 17 inches.

That'll do it.  Thanks Paul!
  • #9 by Hank D Thoreau on 15 Oct 2021
  • They are called roasting pans and are readily available.
  • #10 by Chris__M on 15 Oct 2021
  • About half of this is coming with me tomorrow, when I visit friends (not a BBQ, just taking friends nice food), and the other half is staying with me. :)

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #11 by Brushpopper on 15 Oct 2021
  • They are called roasting pans and are readily available.

I need to get out of the house more often apparently.  Do you do your chucks on one Hank?  Thanks!

About half of this is coming with me tomorrow, when I visit friends (not a BBQ, just taking friends nice food), and the other half is staying with me. :)

MMMMMMMMM  :lick:
  • #12 by Hank D Thoreau on 15 Oct 2021
  • I don't do chucks in a roasting pan. I put them directly on the grill. I am concerned that the pan will cut some of the smoke contact.

I don't have issues with juice since I wrap them in foil at around 160 with a bit of beef broth added. There is plenty of juice in the foil when they are done.

Also, I typically do not do gravy where a roasting pan would help. I try to keep my grilling as healthy as possible. I have not been good this past year with my eating. Too much fast food.

I have about 20 to 25 pounds to lose to reach my optimum performance weight.

Fortunately, I lose weight really quickly when I finally decide to do it. The pandemic has forced me to stop climbing for awhile. As such, I can get by with a little more weight.
  • #13 by Chris__M on 16 Oct 2021
  • Although my pans will always be useful for many reasons, I am beginning to wonder whether it is worth using them for slow cooks like this.

I've always used pans/racks, and it used to work splendidly and yield good gravy. But since I started wrapping at 160° F, I am not sure the yeild is worth the extra washing up.

This current cook resulted in a few very burnt remains in the pan that all attempts to deglaze were left bitter and unusable. So my sauce this time had no meat juices, other than those left in the paper.
  • #14 by Brushpopper on 16 Oct 2021
  • Thanks y'all.  Maybe I don't need a pan after all.  I didn't mean to highjack your thread Chris.  Your food looks fantastic.  :clap:
  • #15 by Chris__M on 17 Oct 2021
  • Thanks y'all.  Maybe I don't need a pan after all.  I didn't mean to highjack your thread Chris.  Your food looks fantastic.  :clap:

Absolutely no worries. I love how one discussion turns into another. Feel free, always. :)
Pages:
Actions